Honored Contributor

Re: SIMPLE PEA SOUP RECIPE - PLEASE!

follow directions on bag of peas

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

I just buy the bag of Goya split peas and use the recipe on the back (omitting the Sazón).  I prefer to use chicken broth and water instead of bouillon but whatever I have is what I use.  Super easy.

Ingredients

• 1 pkg Goya dry green split peas
  • 1 Goya chicken bouillon
  • 1 pkt Sazón Goya w/o Annatto
  • 1/4 lb. smoked ham, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 medium carrot, diced
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 6 cups of water

Directions

1. Sort and rinse peas. In a 6 to 8 quart pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until peas are tender. Add more hot water if needed. Top with croutons, if desired.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

A little bit of smoked paprika, adds a nice flavor to pea or bean soup.

Hey i have some ,just added it to my soup.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I also recommend the recipe on the bag of Goya green split peas.  I don't use the buillon cube or sazon.  I like more ham and more carrot.  Celery is good if I have it.

I make this in the Crock-Pot.  It's easy and delicious. I add Montreal steak seasoning (start with a teaspoon). Leftovers freeze well.

Respected Contributor

SO SIMPLE!

6 cups water

16 oz dried split peas

1 carrot in chunks

1 celery stalk broken

Thyme, salt and pepper to taste

1 spiral ham bone if desired

1/2 cup half+half (optional)

METHOD: Pick over +rinse the split peas.  In the water,  simmer peas,carrot,celery,ham bone +seasonings for about 11/2 hours. Remove bone.  Add cream at the end.

NOTES: I never use the Thyme.  Always use spiral ham bone.  I like this better Without the cream at the end.

Trusted Contributor

Rinse peas and pick over sometimes there are small stone's. Cook in water with ham bone, Potato, carrot, small onion, salt and pepper. Remove bone after cooked, pick any remaining ham off bone and add back to pot. Sometimes I put it through the blender to make it creamy.

Esteemed Contributor

This is from Just A Pinch, but is the recipe from the famous Andersen's Restaurant.  She has added a bit of info.

Anyone who has ever eaten split pea soup at Pea Soup Andersen's Restaurant in Buellton, California, knows it is a unique soup. But the recipe is no secret. It's offered to anyone who buys a bag of split peas in their food shop. This is the recipe off the bag. I've made it many times, and it's always a hit. And, by the way, the stuff by the same name that they sell in cans can't compare in taste to this homemade recipe.

Cook time: 50 Min  Prep time: 20 Min  Serves: 2-4

Ingredients

2 qt soft water (i have always just used whatever came out of my tap)
2 c split peas (a 14-16 oz. bag)
1 branch of celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp thyme, ground
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Directions

1. I usually use a 28-ounce package of peas and double the rest of the ingredients. A single recipe isn't quite enough for a family of two adults and two children, or to have enough for a second meal for two adults.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large pot and boil hard for 20 minutes, then slowly until peas are tender. (The 50-minute cooking time is approximate. After the 20 minutes of "hard boil," I reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the peas mash easily.)
3. Strain through a fine sieve. (I use my food processor. Don't forget to remove the bay leaf!)
4. Reheat to the boiling point.
5. I ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle it with a bit of paprika or Parmesan and a few croutons. I never add ham or anything to this recipe because I love Andersen's flavor. I sometimes make a different split pea soup with ham that I don't puree--I leave it kind of chunky with the peas adding texture. It just depends upon what I'm in the mood for. Smiley Happy
The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl

Thank you - sounds yummy - will try this recipe.  Wish me luck!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme, good luck making this and let us know how it is.  I am very curious since I have never had pea soup, but I have always heard such raving reviews of Andersen's Restaurant.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

I just made split pea soup today as I love to make soups and put them in small containers for the freezer.  I put in two large containers of chicken broth,  cut up two ham slices into small pieces, celery, onion, carrots, a little garlic and just let cook.  I cook it for a long time.  I add seasoning salt, pepper and parsley.  It usually comes out pretty good.  I added a little thyme today too.