Honored Contributor

I took a class at the local Co-op a couple of days ago and this salad was a stand out.  I would only make when tomatoes are at their prime.

4 slices prosciutto
1 T olive oil
1 T good sherry vinegar (I use Columela)
1 T good Dijon mustard (I used Edmond Fallot)

1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 pint large cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 T finely chopped Italian parsley

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  Lay the prosciutto flat on the parchment.  Bake until fat turns golden and meat is darker (about 15 minutes) but watch closely.  You want it very crisp (almost burnt).  Remove to paper towels to drain.

Whisk olive oil, vinegar, mustard with salt and pepper until dressing emulsifies.  Toss the tomatoes in the vinaigrette and add the chopped parsley.  Crumble the crispy prosciutto on top and serve.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHERRY-DIJON TOMATO SALAD

Thanks, @DiAnne , for posting this recipe.  I love that the ratio of Dijon/vinegar/oil are 1:1:1.  I find that many salad dressing recipes have far to much oil for the amount of acid.

i have a similar recipe that mixes Persian cucumbers, cherry tomatoes (I love the multicolor ones for this salad ) and shallots; it is dressed with white balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.  I use 2T white balsamic to 1T olive oil.

Thanks again for posting!

Honored Contributor

@MJDinVegas 

That sounds good also.  I am going to make a note of it!  I agree about too much oil in salad dressing.  

Trusted Contributor

@DiAnne,  I look forward to trying this salad you have posted.  It brougt to mind a tomato salad served in the south. Your recipe is a more upscale version of the southern Tomato Cracker Salad dish with which I am familiar.  Although just a basic and simple dish made with ordinary ingredients, it’s nevertheless a tasty and satisfying summer offering.

Tomato Cracker Salad

4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped [locally in my area, it’s Hanover tomatoes]

1 green onion, sliced

3/4 cup mayonnaise [I use Baconaise Mayo]

Pinch of garlic powder, optional 

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 sleeve saltine crackers or Club crackers, broken into bite-sized pieces

[Sometimes I will add fresh basil, crumbled bacon, and/or diced avocado]  

Instructions

Place tomatoes and green onion in a medium bowl.

Add mayonnaise and garlic powder and stir.

Season to taste with salt and pepper..

Gently stir in broken crackers. Serve immediately.

[I serve the salad on a bed of greens... sort of a deconstructed BLT sandwich]

Valued Contributor

Making this Tomorrow!  Sounds soooo good