Trusted Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

@walker ,

Your posting of a recipe for apple butter is unbelievable!!!  I just got home from shopping at Kroger where I had mainly gone in search of .....Apple Butter!!!  I had been craving apple butter toast since I talked to a friend who is a caregiver for a church family friend who is elderly and has dementia and enjoys apple butter toast daily as part of her breakfast.  

I couldn't find the AB at Kroger.  At the checkout counter, I heard someone say  'AB'.  It was a Kroger employee talking to a customer about what else-- finding AB!  I temporarily ceased putting my items on the conveyor belt to join the employee and customer, offered apologies for butting into their convo but explained I heard the mention of AB and I had just searched several shelves looking for it.  She told me they were out of the Kroger brand but there was another brand available made in WV that was pricier.  She offered to go get me a jar which I gladly accepted.

And here I sit reading your post on how easy it is to make AB which I haven't had in four decades!  (My pastor has always said, nothing is coincidental but by divine intervention). And prepared in a slow cooker, too??!!!!  I will now wait for Wednesday to see if there'll be any good sales on apples this week.  I am so excited to make some AB.  

Thank you for your recipe!!!  Oh, about that intervention.  I offered my Kroger customer courtesy card to the gentleman in front of  me (I heard his 'no' reply when the cashier asked him if he had one ) to help reduce the cost of the many jars of baby food he was buying.  He thanked me and moments later, the customer behind me was offering me a store coupon for $8.00 off my purchases if they totaled at least $80 (or $85??).  I thanked her but told her I didn't think my items were anywhere near that much.  She told me to take the coupon just in case  AND THEY WERE (inflation, huh) !!!   I told her I hoped that in some way, she, too, would be the recipient of having paid forward a good deed.'. 

Excuse my rambling.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... CHICKEN OR BEEF BROTH

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze ....what a nice message you posted about trip to store for Apple Butter.  I love the "pay it forward" gesture as well.  Spread kindness, eh?  Hope the Apple Butter turns out ok if you try it...your house will smell good!

NEXT INGREDIENT .... CHICKEN OR BEEF BROTH 

Honored Contributor

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwich

2-3 lb. Beef bottom round or eye of round roast

1 (32 oz) container of BEEF BROTH

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon dried basil

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1 pkg. Italian Salad Dressing Mix

Place beef in slow cooker, fat side up.  Pour BROTH into a saucepan and add all other ingredients.  Stir well and bring to a boil.  Pour BROTH mixture over the meat.  Cover and cook high 8-10 hours.  If possible, turn roast over after 5 hours.

Before serving, flip roast over again and scrape off any visible fat.  Remove roast from the slow cooker, place in a large bowl and using two forks shred the roast.  Return the beef back to the BROTH in slow cooker.  Serve on Italian rolls with peppers if desired.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... EGGS

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've made more than my share of lousy scrambled eggs, but this technique works for me.

Creamy Scrambled Eggs

3 eggs

1 T butter

Whisk eggs in a bowl.

With cooking spray, lightly spray a small non-stick saucepan, & place over medium heat.

Add the eggs & lump of butter.

Stir constantly with a rubber spatula, & just as eggs lose their sheen, remove from heat, & onto a waiting plate.

S&P to taste.

**Optional: add a bit of chopped ham to the eggs when initially putting them into the saucepan.

A small amount of cheese can be added just before the eggs are done. You don't need much.

Next Ingredient: Orange Juice

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moroccan Salmon Cakes with Garlic MayoMayo

Ingredients

SALMON CAKES:
½ cup couscous
⅔ cup ORANGE JUICE
1- 14.75 oz. can red salmon,
1- 10 oz pkg thawed chopped spinach, drained & squeezed dry
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp EACH: salt & pepper
olive oil 

GARLIC MAYONNAISE:
½ cup mayonnaise 
1 clove crushed garlic or garlic paste
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard

1/8 tsp paprika

Directions
Mix together all mayo ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Prepare couscous per pkg directions SUBBING ORANGE JUICE for water.

In a bowl, combine cooked couscous, red salmon →→→ S&P.  Form into patties.

Heat oil in skillet over med heat; fry patties til golden brown,, turning once, ~ 8-10 min.

Serve with a dollop of garlic mayo.

My notes--
•I use plain couscous or spinach & tomato flavored couscous which I prefer

•I use whatever canned sa!mon I have on hand; have also used leftover fresh-caught cooked salmon

•Whole eggs also work in this recipe

Next Ingredient-  Brown butter