Honored Contributor

Good heavens, it's September (and feel free to call my bluff on this as I have been waiting for this since April . . . Smiley Wink) . . . Smiley Very Happy

I have so been enjoying all of the fall decorating shows so I am more than ready for some terrific cooler weather recipes.  As always, please share your best recipes for the coming season as we create our meal plans for the upcoming holiday festivities.  @walker my friend, sending good thoughts your way that @Zhills  recipe was a success and thanks to our friend @house_cat  for starting our September thread off in fine fall fashion!:

Thyme Tea

Thyme tea requires just two ingredients: fresh thyme and water! You’ll be amazed at the amount of flavor that comes from just two ingredients. Thyme adds an herby intrigue that’s cozy and satisfying. This recipe is best to make in the summer when you’ve got lots of herbs in your garden or in pots. Of course, you can still make it in the winter using fresh thyme from the grocery store. Here’s how to make thyme tea:

1. Boil: Boil a pot of water. 
  2. Harvest herbs: Add 8 to 10 fresh thyme sprigs to a mug.
  3. Steep: Pour on the water. The exact quantity doesn’t matter: just fill up the mug! Allow to stand for 5 minutes, then enjoy!

Side Note:

Thyme (Thymus vulgaris) is an herb with a distinct smell. The flowers, leaves, and oil are commonly used to flavor foods and are also used as medicine.

Thyme contains chemicals that might help bacterial and fungal infections. It also might help relieve coughing and have antioxidant effects.

People commonly use thyme for cough, patchy hair loss, dementia and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these uses.

Next ingredient: Apples

Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2022 RECIPE GAME

[ Edited ]

Good dessert for those who just want a "bite" of something after a big meal.  Easy to make too!  I thought I may have already submitted this so looked back and, yes I did...11 years ago! 😳  OK to repeat...ha!  

Thank you @momtochloe for starting us off again.  I was able to hold my pork chops one more day so hoping to hear from @Zhills yet....or, tonight I make it my own way..😁...🤞.

Bite-Size APPLE Pies

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 pkg. refrigerated pie pastry

3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided

2 medium tart APPLES*, each cut into 8 wedges

In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside 1 tablespoon (for topping).  On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry.  Brush with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with sugar mixture.

Cut each sheet of pie pastry into 8 (1") strips, about 8" long.  Place one slice of APPLE on top of each strip and roll up.  Put each APPLE roll onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Brush tops with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.  

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.  Serve warm with ice cream on side, if desired.  

* I use Granny Smith APPLES

NEXT INGREDIENT ....CRANBERRIES (fresh or canned)

Esteemed Contributor

Escalloped Apples & Cranberries

1 pkg  Stouffer's® Escalloped (Harvest) Apples

1 can  Cranberry Sauce, whole

Preparation Steps;

1. In a bowl, combine thawed apples and cranberry sauce. Gently fold until well blended.  I like to chop the apples smaller.
  2. Pour mixture into a greased baking pan. Spread evenly. Sprinkle with choice of topping (I don't use one) and bake in a 375°F conventional oven for 35-40 minutes.
  3. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

I post this every year.  If you haven't tried it, you are missing out on a treat!

Next ingredient:  Soy sauce

Honored Contributor

@Zhills ...yum!  I am definitely fixing it this Fall!  

Now, another question I posted under August game....your pork chop recipe....do you mix Parmesan with Panko/breadcrumbs or with spices?  I do not see Parmesan and onion powder listed under ingredients.  Fixing tonight.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SOY SAUCE

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@walker  I used Seasoned Panko so I didn't use the spices.  Not did I use the Parm.  Don't care for it.

You mix all of it together in the same bowl

Hope you enjoy!

Next ingredient:  Soy sauce

Honored Contributor

Pork Chop Update...😋....@Zhills....very good!!! Tasty! Easy...fixed same as you did with seasoned Panko crumbs.  From DH...."that was delicious!"  Mine took just a little longer to bake because I had bone-in chops.  So, this is another pork chop winning recipe I have gotten here....other one is baked wrapped in foil.   

Now to get this 🚂 back on track....

NEXT INGREDIENT .... SOY SAUCE

Honored Contributor

@walker 

What a great idea!   Do the apples get soft enough in such a short time? I can't wait to try it.

Next ingredient: soy sauce

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, @house_cat.  The apples are already cooked so they are soft.  Hope you enjoy these.  They could make tarts or a pie also.  The apples 'sweeten' the cranberries.  Great combination.

@Walker.  Glad you enjoyed these.  My son and I took a bite and just looked at each other.  We could not believe the flavor they had!

P.S.  Put the chops with the Apple/cranberry dish!!!!!!!

Next ingredient:  Soy sauce.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 9.11.23 AM.png

Firecracker Grilled Salmon

from Taste of Home

• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
  1. In a small bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup marinade into a large resealable container. Add the salmon; seal container and turn to coat. Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
  2. Drain salmon, discarding marinade in bag. Place salmon skin side down on a greased grill rack. Grill, covered, over high heat or broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with remaining marinade.

Next ingredient: half-n-half

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat ...yes to my apple recipe too..😉.

I may have gotten this recipe here....can't remember....

Oven Denver Omelet

8 large eggs

1/2 cup HALF & HALF

1 cup shredded cheese

1 cup chopped ham

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1/4 cup chopped green onions (or regular onion)

Whisk together eggs and HALF & HALF; stir in rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a greased square baking dish (9").

Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until golden.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... CHICKEN