Honored Contributor

Well of course it's almost Labor Day . . . sigh, it seems like everything is flying by so quickly I shouldn't be surprised tomorrow is September!

Ok my friends, this is our last hint of summer.  Please share your favorite summer foods or a new and interesting one that has recently crossed your culinary path (or sneak in a couple of fall favorites if you've made some yummy discoveries)!  Smiley Very Happy

HOW TO PLAY.......
The first player of the month starts the game by posting their choice of recipe. At the end of the text, she or he types, "the next ingredient: xxx."
(The x's represent that person's choice of any ingredient that can be included in a recipe).
Throughout the game, the next poster in line must use the ingredient that the person ahead chose. If you can, highlight the ingredient and/or put it in capital letters anywhere that it is used throughout the recipe. That does make it easier for everyone to see how the game works.
Because of time or system delays, some duplicate posts occur to the same ingredient. The next poster generally responds to the first post for the next ingredient. Good recipes and lots of fun!!
Normally, we start out with a recipe so I will post the last one shared on the last thread and we can take it from there. Thanks to @GenXmuse   who gave us our next ingredient:

940B7838-74FB-464E-A520-A829072AFB24.jpeg

I make these instead of mashed potatoes for something different for Thanksgiving. Worth the extra effort! 
  • Prep Time: 25 minutes
  • Cook Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
  • 6 potatoes
  • 1 16oz container of sour cream
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Bring water to a boil in a large stock pot 
  3. Cook whole potatoes in water (with skins on).
  4. Cook potatoes until slightly tender (a fork goes through with a slight force) (be careful not to overcook)
  5. Let potatoes cool to the touch, then shred by hand using shredder
  6. Combine sour cream, soup, and cheese
  7. Add mixture to potatoes, carefully toss to coat
  8. Pour mixture into a 9x13 baking dish 
  9. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until top is browned slightly

Next Ingredient: EDAMAME 

Honored Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2020 RECIPE GAME

EDAMAME Salad

1 lb. frozen shelled EDAMAME

3 cups frozen corn, thawed

1 cup chopped red bell pepper

3/4 cup sliced green onions

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

2 Tablespoons oregano or basil

Dressing:  1/3 cup lemon juice

2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

3 Tablespoons olive oil

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

Prepare EDAMAME according to package directions.  Drain and rinse with cold water.  Set aside to drain thoroughly.

In a large bowl, combine EDAMAME, corn, red bell pepper, green onions, red onions, parsley and oregano (or basil).

In separate bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.  Pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat well.  Refrigerate until serving.  

Serves 6-8.

NEXT INGREDIENT ..... ASPARAGUS 

Esteemed Contributor

To Make the BEST Asparagus Soup…

This is no ordinary canned cream of asparagus soup. It’s loaded of fresh ingredients and full of flavor!

Prep: Wash and trim the last inch off each asparagus spear. Pat dry and then cut each stalk into ½ inch pieces.

Cook: Cook onion & garlic in butter until tender and fragrant. Do not burn
Add asparagus and chicken broth.  Cover and let cook until asparagus is soft. 

Puree: Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot until it is completely smooth. 

Add mashed potatoes, puree those in as well!

[Instant or frozen mashed potatoes can be used with great success.  Simply prepare according to package.  The secret to instant potatoes is to be sure boiling water touches each flake!] 

Add chicken broth to desired consistency.

No amounts listed!  Yeah, that’s correct.  This soup is very forgiving.  The amounts are not that important. 
You know not to add a whole onion to 6 stalks of asparagus!  That would be onion soup!
If you want it more potato flavor, use more potatoes.  Use onion and garlic sparingly, just for flavor enhancement!  Your favorite seasonings can be added, marjoram or thyme,

I discovered this because I don’t use dairy. 

Potatoes are my cream!  It can be easily made for 1 or for 6.  You know how much you will need.

This method works with other veggies as well.  I like to roast the veggies before using for the soup!

Next ingredient:  Hot dogs

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe   Thank you for starting the September 2020 Game for us and thank you @walker for providing a recipe for us for the elusive edamame!

And to all, I hope we are able to celebrate a fine Labor Day of some sort--and please remember the workers--currently working, retired, or temporarily laid off.  aroc3435

Hot Dogs and Noodles

Page 97, Makes 6 servings

Fix it and Forget It Recipes for Entertaining 

Good Books 2002, Phyllis Pellman Good and

Dawn J. Ranck

Recipe submitted by Dolores Kratz, Souderton, PA

Featured Ingredient:  HOT DOGS

8 oz. package medium egg noodles, cooked and drained

1 & 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup milk

1/4 cup margarine, melted

1 Tbsp flour

1/4 tsp. salt 

1 lb. package of hot dogs, sliced

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp. prepared mustard (I use Coleman's dry mustard.)

1.  Place cooked noodles, cheese, milk, butter, flour, and salt in the slow cooker.

2.  Combine hot dogs with remaining ingredients.  Spoon evenly over cooked noodles.

3.  Cover.  Cook on low 5-6 hours.

Next ingredient:  MAYONNAISE

Honored Contributor

@walker Thanks for the recipe for edamame. I have a bag of frozen shelled edamame and wasn't sure what to do with it or why I even bought it!

Ranch Pasta Salad

6735A265-12B5-4243-B5EC-ABD21528F28A.jpeg

Ingredients
  • 1 box (12 oz) tricolor rotini pasta
  • 1 cup chopped broccoli
  • 1 cup chopped cucumbers (peeled & seeded)
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/4 cups ranch dressing (more or less to taste)
Homemade Ranch Dressing (optional)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Instructions
  • Cook pasta according to package instructions. Remember to salt the pasta water so the noodles have some flavor. I use about 1 teaspoon salt. Drain the pasta and rinse under cold water so pasta can cool. 
  • In a mixing bowl combine the cooled pasta, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese. Stir. Add ranch and stir again to coat the noodles and veggies in the ranch.  
  • Serve right away or let it refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Pasta salad tends to dry out in the fridge so don't leave it in there too long before serving. If needed, add some additional dressing and give it a good stir to moisten it back up. 
  • ** If you are making the homemade ranch dressing, I would suggest making it before you make the salad so it has plenty of time to refrigerate and get cold. Combine all the ranch dressing ingredients into a small bowl and stir with a wire whisk. It makes just enough for the salad. For leftovers, I just use store-bought ranch dressing to moisten it back up.
Notes
Be sure and use a ranch dressing that you love! I always make my homemade ranch dressing. The recipe makes exactly enough for this salad. 

Next Ingredient: FRENCH FRIED ONIONS
Honored Contributor

A tip of the hat to our friend @IamMrsG for flagging this recipe to me on a different thread as it looks delicious and I am going to try it as soon as I receive his TSV skillet!:

BRUSSELS SPROUT MUSHROOM CASSEROLE WITH LEEKS AND ITALIAN SAUSAGE

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
2 sweet Italian sausage links, removed
from casing and broken up
1 cup leeks, white and light green parts,
sliced ¼”, washed and drained
1 8-ounce package mushrooms, white
or brown, washed and sliced ¼”
1 teaspoon kosher salt
15 turns fresh cracked pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups Brussels sprouts, bottom stem
trimmed, and quartered
1 can creamy mushroom soup
1 2.8-ounce can of crispy onions,
French’s

Directions:

• Melt the butter in the 10.5” AllPurpose Pan. Add the sausage
and cook over a medium-high
flame until browned. Remove the
sausage from the pan, leaving the
drippings behind.
• Add the leeks and mushrooms,
and cook over a medium-high
flame until the vegetables are
browned, about 6 minutes.
Season the mushrooms with
kosher salt and fresh cracked
black pepper, add the garlic and
cook for 1 more minute.
• Add the Brussels sprouts and
return the sausage to the pan.
Reduce the flame to medium.
Cook the mixture for about 8-10
minutes, stirring, until the sprouts
are almost tender.
• Add the mushroom soup, and stir
to combine. Top with the crispy
onions and place in the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the
casserole is bubbly and lightly
browned on the edges.

Next ingredient:  Green Beans

Honored Contributor

Well look at that, I just happen to have a delicious green bean recipe I just made and would love to share!

Green Beans in Creamy Parmesan Sauce

Ingredients

CupsMetric
  • 150g/ 5oz bacon , chopped (use streaky, not lean)
  • 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
  • 500g/1lb green beans , trimmed, cut into ~5cm / 2" pieces
  • 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock / broth , low sodium
  • 1 cup cream , heavy/thickened (Note 1)
  • 1/2 cup parmesan , finely grated (best to grate your own)
  • Black pepper , freshly ground
Instructions
  • Place bacon in cold skillet, then turn the stove on high. (Note 2)
  • Cook bacon for 2 to 3 minutes until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon.
  • Discard excess bacon fat, leaving behind 1 1/2 tablespoons (or so). If you're short, add a dab of butter (or olive oil).
  • Add garlic and stir for 10 - 15 seconds until light golden.
  • Add green beans and stir to coat in garlicky bacon fat.
  • Add chicken stock, stir, bring to simmer then cover with lid. (Note 3) Cook 3 minutes, stirring every now and then so it cooks evenly, until beans are tender-crisp, still bright green and almost cooked to your liking (it will cook more). There should be some liquid left (if not, that's ok too)
  • Add cream, parmesan and pepper. Stir, bring to simmer then lower heat to medium low and let it gently simmer for 2 minutes until the cream reduces and becomes thicker. If you want it to stick to the beans thickly when warm, then reduce the sauce for another 1 minute until the sauce is quite thick. (Note 4)
  • Taste and add salt if needed (I don't find it needs more).
  • Transfer to serving bowl, sprinkle with cooked bacon and extra parmesan if you like.

Next ingredient:  Corn

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
How to Make It
Step 1

Cut corn kernels from cobs. Reserve cobs and set kernels aside (you should have about 4 cups).

Step 2

Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium. Add leeks, finely chopped scallions, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in wine and cook for 1 minute. Add cobs, thyme, bay leaf, and 6 cups water; bring to a boil over high. Cover and reduce heat to medium; simmer for 20 minutes to let flavors meld.

Step 3

Remove cobs, thyme, and bay leaf from pot; discard. Add corn kernels and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until corn turns bright yellow and is just tender, 5 to 6 minutes.

Step 4

Ladle 2 cups corn mixture into a blender and add miso. Secure lid on blender and remove center piece to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over opening. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. Return mixture to pot and stir to combine.

Step 5

Serve soup in bowls topped with sliced scallions and radishes. Drizzle with oil.

Note: if you have a hard time finding Miso at the store, Amazon sells it as well. It's worth the extra step

Next Ingredient:  ROSEMARY

Honored Contributor

First....note to @GenXmuse.... I made your Ranch Pasta Salad today....very good!!  I did not have time to make the dressing which sounds good.  I used bottled ranch on hand but next time I will use your recipe....has to make salad even better.  OK...onto Rosemary......here is a good recipe for Fall.

Roast Pork Loin with Apples

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 (2 lb.) boneless center cut pork loin, trimmed and tied

salt and pepper

1 medium onion, thickly sliced

2 stalks celery, thickly sliced

2 carrots, thickly sliced

3 cloves garlic, smashed or minced

3 sprigs fresh thyme

3 sprigs fresh ROSEMARY

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 apples, such as Cartland or Rome, peeled, cored and

cut into 8 slices

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 cup Apple cider

2 tablespoons whole grain mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil.  Season pork loin all over generously with salt and pepper.  Sear the meat until golden brown on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.  Transfer meat to a plate and set aside.

Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, herb sprigs and 2 tablespoons of butter to pan.  Stir until vegetables are brown, about 8 minutes.  Stir in the sliced apples, then push the mixture to sides and set pork loin in the middle.  Transfer pan to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in center of meat registers 140-150 degrees, about 30-35 minutes. (Pork cooked this way will be slightly pink...ok.  You can cook to 160 degrees, however, it may not be as moist.)

Transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil while you make sauce, if desired. Arrange apples and vegetables on serving platter, cover and set aside.  Remove and discard the herb sprigs.  Return pan to med/hi heat and add vinegar, loosening up any brown bits in bottom of pan.  Reduce by half then add cider and reduce by half again.  Turn heat off and whisk in the mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Remove strings from roast and slice into 1/2" thick pieces.  Arrange over Apple/vegetable mixture.  Drizzle some sauce over meat and serve rest on the side.

NEXT INGREDIENT .... BEEF BROTH 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

French Onion Soup

You don't have to have special crocks for this soup, but it makes presentation so much easier and prettier. My son and DIL liked this recipe so much when I made after their cross state trip one very cold evening, they bought me the special crocks I now use.  The Gruyere in this recipe is kind of expensive, but it is most certainly worth it. In my opinion, it makes the recipe  If you prefer, you can use regular Swiss or any combination of cheeses you like, so long as they melt easily.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter

4 large onions, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 bay leaves

1 cup red wine

3  Tbsp flour (heaping)

2 quarts good beef broth

1 French baguette

1/2 lb Gruyere cheese, shredded

5 sprigs thyme or 1/4 tsp thyme leaves  

1. Melt the stick of butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.  Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 to 40 minutes or more. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.   Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls under the broiler for a few minutes to toast the bread and melt the cheese.  If you prefer you can toast the slices of bread on a cookie sheet before you put into the soup.  This will allow them to better hold up in the hot soup.

Next Ingredient: Fresh Figs