• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
  • 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
  • 6 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes (about 20 ounces), thawed
  • 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

Directions:

• Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in potatoes.
  • Spoon half of potato mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with broccoli and remaining potato mixture. Bake, covered, 35 minutes.
  • Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, covered, until heated through and topping is golden, 15-20 minutes.

Housecat this sounds so yummy! Should the last 15-20 minutes be UNcovered so the topping turns golden?

Respected Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2019 RECIPE GAME

NEXT INGREDIENT:  LIMA BEANS

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat    Is that a Pozzani dish in your picture of the broccoli hash brown casserole?  It looks like one that I have and I love that casserole dish...  

Trusted Contributor

This is really a  very delicious casserole for those who like lima beans (Coquille??? :smileysurprised). .  A former colleague brought it to an office potluck and gave me his recipe when I asked about it.  

Lima Bean and Sausage Casserole

1 lb Jimmy Dean Hot and Spicy Sausage or Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage

¼ cup chopped onions

(1) 10 oz bag frozen Hanover Baby Lima Beans (cook until tender, then drain)

1 cup grated extras sharp cheddar cheese

1 cup milk

1 can (10 ½ oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup

Brown sausage and onions in skillet.  Pour Baby Lima Beans into buttered 2 quart casserole dish.  Cover with sausage mixture  Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over sausage.  Bake at 350º for 35-45 minutes.  Serves 6-8.

My adjustments: I prefer Jimmy Dean Italian Sausage and add a jar of pimientoes, some garlic and onion powder, Goya Adoba seasoning, 4 - 6 oz sour cream, a couple shakes of Worchestershire sauce.and dot the lima beans with butter.

Next Ingredient:  Wine

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@house_cat    Is that a Pozzani dish in your picture of the broccoli hash brown casserole?  It looks like one that I have and I love that casserole dish...  

I did notice the dish and it's just my style, but unfortunately it's neither my dish nor my casserole.  I snatched the photo from the recipe website!

Next ingredient is wine.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@QPrincess 

I'm sure you're right. I would bake it UNcovered to brown it.  I cut and pasted the recipe - I'll go back and fix it now.

Thank you.

Next ingredient: wine

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Easy WINE Marinated Brisket

1 1/2 cups dry red or white WINE

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 small onion, grated

1 celery stalk, thinly sliced

3 garlic cloves, minced

3-4 lb. beef brisket

1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Combine WINE, soy sauce, grated onion, celery and garlic in a large heavy-duty zip-top freezer bag large enough to accommodate the brisket. (Or special marinating type container.). Add the brisket to the bag, squeeze out the air, seal and refrigerate 3-4 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove brisket and place fat-side up in a roasting pan or Dutch oven.  Spread sliced onions around brisket and cover with half of the marinade.  Reserve remaining marinade.   Cover tightly with heavy foil or a lid. Bake 3 hours, until tender.  Check midway during roasting time and add more marinade, if needed, to keep brisket from drying out.  (Discard any remaining marinade when brisket is done.)

When done, remove brisket from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.  Carve slices against the grain and place on serving platter.  Cover slices with pan juices and cooked onions to serve.  

NEXT INGREDIENT.......... FLOUR

Esteemed Contributor

Cinnamon Snaps  (A crisp cookie)

½ C sugar
½ C shortening
½ C molasses
1 tsp soda
1 Tbsp warm water
2 ½ - 3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp ginger
¼ tsp salt

Cream sugar and shortening.  Add molasses.  Add soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp warm water.

Add enough flour to make a stiff dough.

Roll into balls and flatten with a glass dipped in sugar! OR roll very thin and cut into shapes.

Bake 8-10 mins at 375 degrees.  Wonderful with coffee!

Next ingredient:  Taco seasoning

Respected Contributor

@Zhills, I love crisp cookies best. Thanks for this recipe!

Esteemed Contributor

@tiny 2   Enjoy your cookies!

Next ingredient:  Taco seasoning