Valued Contributor

Re: SEPTEMBER 2017 RECIPE GAME

Soft & Fluffy Cake Made With Baby Food

I don't have any babies in the house but this makes me think I might stop and check out the baby food section, next time I am shopping.  Seems like this would be a good way to add some good things into a cake.

Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
45 mins
Total time
55 mins

Serves: 12 servings
Ingredients
  • 1½ cups sugar
  • 1 cup softened butter, at room temp
  • 3 eggs, at room temp
  • 1 cup baby food, combination is best (I used carrots, prunes & butternut squash w/ apple)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups flour

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease & flour a bundt or tube pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl cream sugar and butter.
  3. Beat in eggs.
  4. Beat in baby food, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until mixed.
  5. Mix in baking powder and flour, ½ cup at a time, until combined.
  6. Batter will be fluffy
  7. Spoon/scrape into prepared pan.
  8. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
  9. Cool on wire rack. After 20 minutes, turn cake onto rack and finish cooling.
  10. Serve plain, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a dollop of jam or fruit butter.

Next ingredient:  tofu

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

That looks good @rrpell. People think I'm nuts but I often use baby food prunes in my brownies.   But they never balk while they're eating. Takes the place of so much oil. 😊

Respected Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

That looks good @rrpell. People think I'm nuts but I often use baby food prunes in my brownies.   But they never balk while they're eating. Takes the place of so much oil. 😊

I do this too. The prunes pick up the chocolate flavor better than apple sauce etc.

Honored Contributor

Smoky Homemade Veggie Hotdogs

I'm not a big fan of smoky tasting foods so I use regular paprika instead. 

INGREDIENTS

1 (14-16 ounce) package extra firm tofu, pressed to get as much water out as you can
1/2 cup tamari, I use low sodium
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated garlic
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
Hotdog buns
Sriracha mayo (optional) I just mixed some vegan mayo with sriracha to taste

Slaw (optional)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil of your choice
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups thinly chopped purple cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced red pepper
1 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup cilantro leaves

INSTRUCTIONS

Cut the tofu into about 8 strips, you could make the strips as big or as small as you like. Use a fork and poke each side of the tofu a few times to help the marinade really get in there.

To a large ziplock bag add the tamari, maple syrup, smoked paprika, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Close the bag and use your hands to make sure everything is mixed well.

Add the tofu to the bag and lay flat on a plate or in a baking dish. Make sure marinade is covering all the tofu evenly. I like to flip mine over a few times to make sure it gets everywhere. Marinate tofu for at least 2 hours, but the longer the better.

Once ready to cook, Heat a large pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil. Place tofu in the pan and let cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until browned and crispy. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!

To make the slaw, add the oil, vinegar, maple syrup and salt to a large bowl and mix until combined. Next, add all the veggies and stir until they’re all coated. Slaw can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.

Next Ingredient: PICKLE JUICE

IMG_4748.JPG

Valued Contributor

@GenXmuse

I need help with cooking with Tofu.  I have little experience but want to add it to our meals. This dinner sounds really good!  Thank you! 

Next ingredient:  PICKLE JUICE

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

Easy Slow Cooker Dill Pickle Soup

Ingredients

8 TBS butter

1 cup flour

5 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup pickle juice 

1 cup baby dill pickles, diced

1 cup russet potatoes, peeled and diced

2 cups carrots, diced

1 1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 dash cayenne pepper

1 cup Greek plain yogurt (or sour cream)

Pita chips for serving

Grated cheddar cheese for garnish, if desired

Directions

1. Melt butter in the microwave and whisk in flour. Whisk in half the chicken broth. To the bowl of a slow cooker, add the remaining chicken broth and the butter, flour and broth mixture and whisk until combined. Add the pickle juice, pickles, potatoes, carrots, Old Bay Seasoning, salt****, pepper and cayenne.

1. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 6 hours.**** Stir in the yogurt (or sour cream) and cook another 5 minutes. Serve warm with pita chips and garnish with grated cheddar cheese if desired.

****Because some dill pickle juices are saltier than others and you may be using regular chicken broth   rather than low-sodium, and Old Bay contains salt, you may want to add the measure of salt after the soup has cooked for a couple of hours which would be a good time to taste it-- you may not need to add the salt or would prefer more or less, 

Next ingredient-- Hearts of Palm

Honored Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

@GenXmuse

I need help with cooking with Tofu.  I have little experience but want to add it to our meals. This dinner sounds really good!  Thank you! 

Next ingredient:  PICKLE JUICE

You're very welcome! As long as you get the extra firm kind you should be fine.  The regular is so soft and squishy and is used more mashed up as an ingredient in things. 😋

Esteemed Contributor

HEARTS OF PALM SALAD

This is the famous salad dressing for the hearts of palm salad with fruit offered at the Island Hotel at Cedar Key, FL.  Bessie Gibbs, former owner of the hotel, invented the dressing years ago.

FOR THE SALAD:
4 cups thinly sliced iceberg or green leaf lettuce
1 cup diced pineapple (preferably fresh)
1/2 cup pitted dates
1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
2 cups thinly sliced hearts of palm, preferably fresh

FOR THE ICE CREAM DRESSING:
1/3 cup vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 to 2 drops green food coloring

In a large mixing bowl, toss the lettuce with the pineapple, dates, candied ginger, and half of the hearts of palms. Arrange this mixture on 4 salad plates, in shallow bowls, or on a platter.

To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend to a paste.

Spoon the dressing over the salad and garnish with the remaining hearts of palm.

Makes 4 servings

Next ingredient:  Fresh tomatoes

Trusted Contributor

Baked Yellow Squash with Fresh Tomatoes

2 lbs yellow squash

3 medium sized tomatoes, peeled and sliced

2 small onions, sliced paper thin

1½ tsp salt

Fresh ground pepper

4 TBS butter

Optional:  Cheddar or parmesan cheese

Wash squash and slice.  Layer them in a greased 2-quart casseroe dish,.

Add layer of tomato slices, then onions.  Sprinkle with half the salt and pepper.

Repeat until all veggies are used.  Dot with butter and cover.

Bake at 350° for 45 – 50 minutes.  If desired, sprinkle with cheese the last few minutes of baking.

Next ingredient-  Lump crab meat

Honored Contributor

While Bobby Chez Crabcakes is my FAVORITE use of lump crab meat...this bisque is VERY good!

Crab Bisque

2 TBSP. butter

2 TBSP All purpose flour

2 green onions, chopped

2 cups half & half

2 cups milk

1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. salt

White pepper to taste

Cayenne pepper to taste

1 lb. lump crabmeat

4 Tbsp. sherry (optional)  **not optional for me!

Melt butter in a heavy pot.

Add green onions and saute until tender.

Whisk in flour until smooth.

Whisk in milk and half & half and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens & comes to a boil.

Lower heat; season to taste. Stir in crabmeat & sherry (if desired) & cook over low heat till crab is heated through.

Okay...I am very intrigued lowering the oils used in brownies by using baby food prunes...

so is it okay if I say the

NEXT INGREDIENT:  BABY FOOD PRUNES

so I can get the Brownie Recipe ?

@GenXmuse