Honored Contributor

Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Baking Bible"

"The Baking Bible" is on sale for Cyber Monday in the Kindle version for $2.99 if anyone's interested. It's a book with a list price of $40, so it's a pretty good deal at that price if you don't mind Kindle versions of cookbooks. I just bought it but haven't looked through it yet. Her "Cake Bible" is a book I also own and is very good. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Re: Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Baking Bible"

This was a great price for a good baking book.  I didn't see your post in time and it's now priced at apprx $25, but thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

It was a very good deal, but for a limited time. She's a very detail oriented baker. At $2.99 I couldn't pass it up. Oddly, the hardcover version costs less than the Kindle version as I type this. The Kindle version is $25+ while the hardcover is $21+.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I just gave the hardback away a few weeks ago.  I have gotten rid of all her books--too wordy, too complicated for me in retirement.  I have gone back to the best basics for the most part.

But that's a great price and you don't have to give space to the book.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Yeah, e-cookbooks are great for saving space. Unfortunately, Amazon has discovered I have a weakness for them and keeps tempting me with new ones. Today it was "The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook" for $1.79. So, yep, another cookbook got added to the old Kindle. Every few days they make me an offer I can't refuse.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Sooner 

Yeah, e-cookbooks are great for saving space. Unfortunately, Amazon has discovered I have a weakness for them and keeps tempting me with new ones. Today it was "The Complete Magnolia Bakery Cookbook" for $1.79. So, yep, another cookbook got added to the old Kindle. Every few days they make me an offer I can't refuse.

@gardenman That book addiction is a heavy burden to "bare."  Woman Embarassed  Don't 'ya love 'em?Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Sooner 

@gardenman That book addiction is a heavy burden to "bare."  Woman Embarassed  Don't 'ya love 'em?Woman LOL

Yeah. I had hundreds of cookbooks/cooking magazines at my old house and had to decide which to put into storage and which to let go. I kept about thirty printed cookbooks that I just couldn't let go. I've got a lot on my Kindle though. Amazon knows my weakness. In the last month I've gotten the new Joy of Cooking, The Baking Bible, and now the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook all for less than $3 each. I probably should stop opening the "We've found a book you might like" emails from Amazon. I may need to buy a second Kindle if this keeps up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I don't do much cooking but I am a sucker for cookbooks.  I don't buy them anymore though.  I still get Bon Appetit magazines.  I have a large database of recipes that I have gotten over the years from magazines, the internet, etc.  I finally went through most of my cookbooks and saved the recipes I wanted in that database and got rid of the books.  I saved a few like the Joy of cooking, a Williamsburg cookbook, etc.  

I have another database that indexes my Bon Appetit magazines, just the recipes I liked the looks of.  That way I can more easily find recipes i might want to try.  That database doesn't include the actual recipes. though.  Would be nice if there was a good device that would copy the recipe and make a text file that I could just copy/paste into the database.  Then, I could get rid of the actual magazines.  I'm a bit behind on that project though.  

I just picked up a bread magazine at the grocery store.  

Honored Contributor

I just about can't leave a book store......the feel, the smell, -MINE!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Sooner 

Yeah. I had hundreds of cookbooks/cooking magazines at my old house and had to decide which to put into storage and which to let go. I kept about thirty printed cookbooks that I just couldn't let go. I've got a lot on my Kindle though. Amazon knows my weakness. In the last month I've gotten the new Joy of Cooking, The Baking Bible, and now the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook all for less than $3 each. I probably should stop opening the "We've found a book you might like" emails from Amazon. I may need to buy a second Kindle if this keeps up.

@gardenman Maybe we should start an intervention group--and talk about books we don't like.  Which probably wouldn't stop us from buying them anyway.  Woman Embarassed