Honored Contributor

I am making a  pan of roasted vegetables for dinner tonight....DH is grilling outside and there is not enough room on the grill for the veggies.

It's hot and I am not wild about turning on the oven, can I just 'pan fry' the veggies?  I use olive oil and salt/pepper and Herbes de Provence for seasoning, unless there is something else I shoud use...thanks!

Honored Contributor

I think that sounds wonderful!

And also anything tastes great to me that is pan fried! (that's the southern side speakingSmiley HappyWoman Very Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I am making a  pan of roasted vegetables for dinner tonight....DH is grilling outside and there is not enough room on the grill for the veggies.

It's hot and I am not wild about turning on the oven, can I just 'pan fry' the veggies?  I use olive oil and salt/pepper and Herbes de Provence for seasoning, unless there is something else I shoud use...thanks!

This is just my opinion, but if you want roasted flavoring as opposed to pan frying, I find there is a difference.  Grilled is different also but I feel grilled gives the best texture and flavor.  I wanted my husband to grill last night because I had pork fillets and an entire combo of large portobello mushrooms, endive, yellow and green squash.  He didn't want to so I ended up having to cook inside.  Cooked the pork in grilling cast iron pan and it was OK but grilled would have been much better.  Brushed with olive oil and light seasoning and used the oven and didn't care for the way they came out.  Soggy and no black grill marks that make it tasty and give it the texture and crispness I wanted.  It was a disspointment to me.  I think you need the high heat of the grill to make it all come together.

Super Contributor

Yes, you can do it that way.  You could also try this -  Make a cooking dish out of heavy aluminium foil. Turn the edges up so it resembles a 9 x 12 pan approx. Set this on a cookies sheet for support. Put veggies in it and drizzle them with olive oil and spices .  Carry to the grill and slide the foil pan off sheet and onto the grill.  Pull it back on the sheet when they are done.

I make portabella mushrooms tbis way.  I drizzle balsamic vinegar and spices on them.

Another option is to use a grilling basket made this purpose.  But a foil "dish" works pretty good.

Honored Contributor

@pegomyheart ....that sounds do-able....you leave the foil 'open' right?

Honored Contributor

When I oven roast, I toss the vegies, (Brussels sprouts for instance), with olive oil or spray heavily with olive oil.

Place on aluminum foil on a bake sheet.

Roast in a warmed 400 degree oven 10 min, turn, spray, cook 10 min more.

Respected Contributor

We love chunky, charred oven roasted veggies. The trick is a super-hot oven. I used to do them at 500 degrees, but after setting off the smoke detectors, I have settled on 475 degrees. Cut up whatever fresh veggies you have—.onions, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, mushrooms, potatoes, etc. Place in large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, several chopped garlic cloves, 1 Tb. Dijon mustard, pinch  sugar, and whatever herbs you like. Spread on foil- or parchment-lined rimmed cookie sheet or other large pan. Cook 10 minutes in preheated 475-degree oven, remove pan, stir veggies, and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes. The time depends on how crunchy you want your veggies, how charred you like them, and how large the pieces are.

Regular Contributor

Re: Roasted vegetables

[ Edited ]

I  make my roasted vegetables, zuchinni, squash, mushrooms, onions, and cherry tomatoes tossed with a Olive Oil Balsamic Vinegarette, add a little Moore's marinade to the mix, toss. Place on a foil lined pan and sprinkle generously  with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. Roast at 425 or 450 for 30-45 minutes. 

Honored Contributor

@susielong wrote:

I  make my roasted vegetables, zuchinni, squash, mushrooms, onions, and cherry tomatoes tossed with a Olive Oil Balsamic Vinegarette, add a little Moore's marinade to the mix, toss. Place on a foil lined pan and sprinkle generously  with Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning. Roast at 425 or 450 for 30-45 minutes. 

@susielong I don't know Moore's marainede or Cavender's Seasiong.  Is this a lot of salt?

Regular Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@susielong wrote:

@susielong I don't know Moore's marainede or Cavender's Seasiong.  Is this a lot of salt?

Moore's yes, but Cavender's does have a salt free version available.