Honored Contributor

I had gotten some whole pod okra to keep in the freezer and pulled it tonight.

Because roasting Brussels sprouts was SO yummy, I thought I'd give it a try!

I covered a bake sheet with al foil, sprayed with olive oil, spaced out the frozen okra pods, sprayed and roasted at 400 degrees for 12ish minutes, turned then finished up for about 10 minutes.  I put them in a bowl, drizzled with a tiny bit of butter, and WOW!!!

Very much like fried okra without the grease!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Sounds delicious 😋 

Honored Contributor

I've only ever fried whole okra pods in extra-virgin olive oil with a little minced garlic.  I will try your recipe. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I covered a bake sheet with al foil, sprayed with olive oil, spaced out the frozen okra pods, sprayed and roasted at 400 degrees for 12ish minutes, turned then finished up for about 10 minutes.  I put them in a bowl, drizzled with a tiny bit of butter, and WOW!!!

@ECBG My mom always rolled the okra pieces in corn meal and then fried in a little bit of oil in a cast iron skillet. We always looked forward to picking the okra and waiting for that big bowl full. Did your whole pods have any coating on them?

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG My mom always rolled the okra pieces in corn meal and then fried in a little bit of oil in a cast iron skillet. We always looked forward to picking the okra and waiting for that big bowl full. Did your whole pods have any coating on them?

@tiny 2 Only lightly sprayed with olive oil.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Made this okra today and it is yummy!  Missed the cornmeal, but not that much.  Really enjoyed it.  Would never have thought to roast thawed whole okra.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tiny 2 Only a light spray of olive oil, a shake of Mrs Dash.