Respected Contributor

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

[ Edited ]

@Keeper of the koi, here is the recipe we talked about in Kitchen.  I have not made the dish, but have eaten it.  I know it was prepared well in advance (maybe even frozen, but I am not sure) and reheated.  It was delicious, and, as I said in our Kitchen conversation, was surprised when I saw her note that it is a Weight Watcher's recipe.

(Edited to put a capital K on Keeper.)

Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

Serves 6

Vegetable Mixture:
½ pound red bell peppers, seeded and chopped into ½” dice
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
2 zucchini, cut into ½" thick half-moons
1 eggplant, cut into ½" chunks
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon light olive oil with a dash of toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 cloves garlic, peeled and wrapped in foil

Tomato Sauce:
½ teaspoon light olive oil with a dash of toasted sesame oil
½ onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, bashed, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 14-ounce cans low-sodium diced tomatoes in juice
2 teaspoons arrowroot mixed with 1 Tablespoon water (slurry)

(Cook's note:  Needs more sauce.  Add 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/4 cup tomato paste and 1/4-1/2 cup red wine.)

Spinach Layer:
½ teaspoon light olive oil with a dash of toasted sesame oil
8 medium mushrooms, sliced thick
½ pound raw spinach, cut into strips
1/4 cup basil, cut into strips
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

6 curly lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

The vegetables: Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss the peppers, carrot, zucchini, eggplant and onion with the oil. Spread out on a large baking sheet and sprinkle with the cumin and pepper. Set the foil-wrapped garlic on one corner of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes; stir to make sure the vegetables are cooking evenly and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove from the oven and transfer all the vegetables to a large bowl. Squeeze the baked garlic cloves into the bowl and mix well.

The tomato sauce: Pour the oil into a medium saucepan and fry the chopped onion and garlic until it starts to wilt. Add the oregano and basil and cook for 2 more minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. (Cook's note: Add 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/4 cup tomato paste and 1/4-1/2 cup red wine.) Remove from the heat, stir in the slurry, return to the heat to thicken and clear.

The spinach layer: Pour the oil into a large frying pan on medium heat and fry the mushrooms until they start to brown. Add the spinach, basil and pepper and cook just until the spinach wilts. Transfer the cooked vegetables to a sieve and press out the excess liquid.

To assemble: Spoon a little sauce into an 8x8-inch baking dish. Lay 3 noodles on the bottom, trimmed to size. Cover with 1/3 of the sauce, the cooked mushrooms and spinach and a sprinkle of the cheese. Cover with the noodle trimmings, 1/3 of the sauce, the roasted vegetables and a sprinkle more of the cheese. Cover with the last 3 noodles, the remaining sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake at 400ºF 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes. Cut into 6 portions and serve.

Cook's note: 4 WW points.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

@IamMrsG

This sounds very good AND healthy.  Definitely going to try this when I am into a lot of chopping!  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

I'm going to try this in a few weeks, but use "noodles" made from slicing zucchini rather than regular noodles.

I know you didn't post it for me, but It sounds fabulous!