Trusted Contributor

This was really good!  I usually just roast my cherry tomatoes and then toss with pasta, but this time I pureed it.  My hubby said it was one of the best things I've made Smiley Happy

On a sheet pan, I tossed cherry and grape tomates with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Roasted until they were cracking and starting to get golden and carmelized.  In a saute pan I sauteed a diced onion and a couple garlic cloves until tender and added some italian seasoning.  Let everythiing cool a bit, then I put it in my ninja and blended with a bit of water and parmesan cheese.  The seeds and skin were pureed smooth.  Heat it up and toss with pasta.

What's everyone else doing with their tomatoes?

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, @Knit-Chick ! With recipes like this, how can anyone revert to jar sauce?!

I love roasted cherrys, especially w/ a squirt of Herbs di Napoli balsamic. Sometimes that's all I have for a supper. And always put them into a pasta salad.

Your recipe just sounds wonderful for pasta! Thank you!!

Valued Contributor

That sounds wonderful!! I am going to try it tonight!! It makes sense that the addition of onion, garlic and cheese would make a dream sauce. Thank you for posting!!

Trusted Contributor

@furbabylover wrote:

That sounds wonderful!! I am going to try it tonight!! It makes sense that the addition of onion, garlic and cheese would make a dream sauce. Thank you for posting!!

Thank you!  I searched on Pinterest and saw several recipes with the onion.... I never thought to that.  It made it even a bit more sweeter.  

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa  I never thought to add them to pasta salad - yum!  I also saw pics of them on bruschetta with ricotta cheese.  I need to try that too.

Frequent Contributor

Right now I am slow roasting a large pan full of plum tomatoes fresh from an organic farm--6 hours at 225 degrees, drizzled with minced garlic, basil and olive oil. 

Recipe is based on a recipe in the cookbook by QVC's former chef -- the blue jean chef.  I will have to try it with cherry tomatoes!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Roasted Tomato Sauce

[ Edited ]

I am so anxious to make your Roasted Tomao Sauce recipe, @Knit-Chick!!! Just waiting for cooler days to turn on the oven.  Instead of sautéing the onions, I will toast a head of garlic in the EVOO along with the tomatoes.  I'll squeeze out some of the yummy sweet, softened cloves to puree with the tomatoes and use some to spread on some crusty buttered bread to accompany the pasta dish.  

Thanks for sharing your recipe.  I would never have thought to roast the 🍅🍅🍅.

Honored Contributor

@Knit-Chick  you inspired me as I don't make sauce - just a jar gurl

I was gifted a few pounds of black cherry tomatoes yesterday and what to do

aha - I remembered reading your post

I coated tomatoes w/olive oil and roasted for 30 minutes at 400 degrees

sautee 1 large diced onion in 1/4 cup olive oil - 

I did that for a long time - low flame and stir every so often as long as the tomatoes were roasting - added 4 cloves of minced garlic (a healthy TBS) 

sautee for a minute or 2 and add the tomatoes to pot - thyme, salt and pepper

simmer for 1 hr

puree 

I never would have done so if not reading ur post

it is so good - thank you again

Regular Contributor

I made this yesterday. Tossed the tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roasted the tomatoes at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

While they were roasting, I sauteed a large onion and several garlic cloves along with fresh oregano, salt and pepper.

Added the tomatoes to the onion/garlic mixture.  I didn't blend anything.  The tomatoes were soft and squishy.

I added one cup of pasta water and then tossed all the pasta in the pan with the tomatoes.  Added parmesan and voila!

Delish!!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Yahooey I'm so glad you liked it!  You made my day Smiley Happy   I haven't been on here too much - I've been feeling a bit down because one of my coworker/friends is ICU with COVID.  Reading your post made me smile.  We picked a bunch more cherry tomatoes last night... we'll be having this for dinner!