Respected Contributor

Roast Turkey Breast in Cooks Essential 5.3 qt Air Fryer

I have a frozen Bone-in turkey breast (Honeysuckle brand) thawing in the fridge. Going to do a turkey breast for additional meat and to use to make the gravy.

The recipe guide said to remove the back bone? Is this necessary? Should I just roast in my regular oven? I don't have a clue how to remove the back bone.

My turkey breast is 6.5 lbs.

Thank you for your advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roast Turkey Breast in Cooks Essential 5.3 qt Air Fryer

Guess I'm a slow learner but I'm confused.  Instructions are remove back bone before or after roasting?  (I'd never attempt to remove bone when bird is raw)  Could you explain better?

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Guess I'm a slow learner but I'm confused.  Instructions are remove back bone before or after roasting?  (I'd never attempt to remove bone when bird is raw)  Could you explain better?

Me too, I am confused. In the Ingredients it says:

6lb turkey breast, bone in (remove back bone )

2 T sea salt

etc

The cooking instructions are:

1. Season the turkey.

2. Place in fryer

Sounds crazy to me too! Thanks for reading my post.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld  @fthunt  You want to remove the backbone before cooking.  Take a sharp knife on each side of the backbone getting as close to it as possible keeping as much of the meat intact.  Keep the skin intact as well.  Remove or keep the wishbone with the meat.

The backbone will have some meat adhering to it.  Toss in the freezer well wrapped or use immediately to make a wonderful stock.

(Just saw this on a PBS show over the weekend that refreshed my memory.)  Bet you can see a video online for a visual to help guide you.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I now understand better.....air fryer doesn't like bones.  I have a fryer and don't use it for any thing - it's happy sitting in the basement.  Personally, I'd pop Mr. Turkey in a regular oven and then would know how it will turn out - and less work!

Gobble Gobble

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt  It's not that the air fryer doesn't like bones, it's just that there is only so much space in it.  You certainly wouldn't have to bone a pork chop, for instance, if it fits in the compartment.

To me, I wouldn't experiement with the main dish for a Thanksgiving meal.  I would probably do the turkey breast by whatever my "I can do this in my sleep" method is and experiment with the air fryer and turkey breast at another time.

I don't find the Cooks Essential 5.3 air fryer difficult to use--it just doesn't hold enough for me.  I use my Oster French Door countertop convection oven instead.  Or my regular electric oven.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wonderfulworld

It says to remove backbone so the turkey breast will fit. Turkey is 6.5 lbs. Air Fryer is 5.3 qt so that size turkey is probably too large to cook in that size air fryer. If you remove the backbone it will probably fit.

Image result for how to remove turkey backbone

Found this recipe online for a 6 lb turkey breast made in a 5.3 qt air fryer with the backbone removed.

Whole Turkey Breast

Servings: 4-6 servings
Source: Homecooknewbie.com

Ingredients

• 1 (about 6 lb) bone-in turkey breast
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Lemon juice
• Salt
• Pepper
• Granulated garlic
• 1 packet Sazon Tropical

Directions

1. With breast side down, slice through backbone of the turkey with a sharp knife or meat cleaver, turn it over breast side up, then press down to flatten it a little so it will fit in the AF basket.
  2. Rub skin all over with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
  3. Season with your favorite seasonings (I used granulated garlic, herbs de Provence, salt, pepper, sazon Tropical seasoning)
  4. Place in AF basket, breast side down, cook for 20 minutes @ 360F
  5. When timer goes off, flip Turkey over, cook another 20 minutes @ 360F
  6. When timer goes off, check temperature with a meat thermometer, should be between 160-165.
  7. If need more time, flip again, cook another 10 minutes, checking with meat thermometer until it reaches 165.
  8. Remove from basket and let rest for 20 minutes before carving

COOK’s NOTES:

1. You will need an air Fryer with at least 5.3 qt capacity.
  2. Create a “handle” to help in removing the turkey:
    • Tear off a long piece of aluminum foil
    • Fold it over 3 times to create a strip
    • Place it in the air fryer and place the turkey on top
    • Fold down sides into the basket
Respected Contributor

I think I am going to use my 12qt Nesco roast air oven. 

Tried and true. Thank you all for your replies. Happy Thanksgiving!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@wonderfulworld

It says to remove backbone so the turkey breast will fit. Turkey is 6.5 lbs. Air Fryer is 5.3 qt so that size turkey is probably too large to cook in that size air fryer. If you remove the backbone it will probably fit.

Image result for how to remove turkey backbone

Found this recipe online for a 6 lb turkey breast made in a 5.3 qt air fryer with the backbone removed.

Whole Turkey Breast

Servings: 4-6 servings
Source: Homecooknewbie.com

Ingredients

• 1 (about 6 lb) bone-in turkey breast
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Lemon juice
• Salt
• Pepper
• Granulated garlic
• 1 packet Sazon Tropical

Directions

1. With breast side down, slice through backbone of the turkey with a sharp knife or meat cleaver, turn it over breast side up, then press down to flatten it a little so it will fit in the AF basket.
  2. Rub skin all over with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
  3. Season with your favorite seasonings (I used granulated garlic, herbs de Provence, salt, pepper, sazon Tropical seasoning)
  4. @Place in AF basket, breast side down, cook for 20 minutes @ 360F
  5. @When timer goes off, flip Turkey over, cook another 20 minutes @ 360F
  6. When timer goes off, check temperature with a meat thermometer, should be between 160-165.
  7. If need more time, flip again, cook another 10 minutes, checking with meat thermometer until it reaches 165.
  8. Remove from basket and let rest for 20 minutes before carving

COOK’s NOTES:

1. You will need an air Fryer with at least 5.3 qt capacity.
  2. Create a “handle” to help in removing the turkey:
    • Tear off a long piece of aluminum foil
    • Fold it over 3 times to create a strip
    • Place it in the air fryer and place the turkey on top
    • Fold down sides into the basket

Thank you for taking the time to post with pictures. The size issue makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I think I am going to use my 12qt Nesco roast air oven. 

Tried and true. Thank you all for your replies. Happy Thanksgiving!

@wonderfulworld

Can't go wrong with your Nesco. I have the 12 qt & 6 qt with the fans. Can't believe they stopped making those like that. I bought an extra 6 qt lid with fan so I have an extra fan. At least I have 3 fans. LOL!!!

I had the 4 qt Nesco but gave it to my dad. My younger sister has it now.

We either use that, smoke it on the grill or use the in-direct cook method on the grill. Happy Thanksgiving!