Respected Contributor

Everyone says I make the most delicious pork roast. I actually season mine and then put them in a roasting bag. I bake it at 350 degrees for two hours. I check with a meat thermometer and make sure it has reached 180 degrees. A little higher than the normal 160 but it is pork. Mine always come out very tender and juicy. They get a little brown on the outside but not overly brown. Perfection every time and so easy.

Honored Contributor

I cook pork loin often, but always low and slow in the oven with liquid in order to shred; my family does not want sliceable pork roast.   

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

I do.  I was a Home Econbomics teacher and always do a double sided pork loin riasrt with an herb rub for New Years Day.

All pork roasts in the oven is done at 325 degrees, uncovered in an open roasting pan.

When you tire of the roast, cube and cook with barbcue sauce.  Round out with oven fries and slaw.

We also use this rub for pork chops on the grill and the small pork loin roasts.

Pork Loin Herb Rub

Rinse pork loin. (I tie two pork loins together to equal about 6 lbs).

Put on greased rack over shallow pan.

Heavily rub with:

1 1/2 Tbsp each:

Garlic

Salt

Marjoram

Sage

Roast 25-30 min per pound.

Rest before carving.

Respected Contributor

Re: Roast Pork Loin Help

[ Edited ]

@kate2357I have often thought about brining but never did.  My roast in about 3.75 lbs.  Would the amounts of water, sugar & salt be the same as you mentioned? I sure hope you reply to this because I'm leaning towards brining.  I just want my roast to not be dry and tasteless.  Wish pork was raised as it was a good many years ago a little fatty for flavor.  As Emeril says, "pork fat rules."

ETA  Can the pork be brined longer (overnight) or is the 4 hours MAX.

Thank you for your reply. 

Esteemed Contributor
@coffeedrinker

You can keep salt/sugar/water ratio the same as long as it covers the meat completely. Even if you add a bit more water its fine.

I have never tried overnight, so I don't know how that would work. I have brined 7 hours with no adverse issues. I have also brined just 3 hours and had good results. My one word of caution, buy natural pork if you are going to brine.

Good luck with your meal.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor
@coffeedrinker
Natural pork meaning no saline psolution added...it has to be on the label if they've injected the meat. By natural I did not mean organic, yadda yadda. Just meant pork that doesn't have added anything. Hope that makes sense.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@kate2357 Thanks for the info 're "natural pork."  Thought what the heck is that.  My roast is "natural," so I'm going to try your method and wii let you know how it turns out.

Respected Contributor

A big thank you for all of you. I know it takes time to write all those directions down and I do appreciate all of them.  I really haven't decided which one I'll do, but I'm leaning towards brining.  Fingers crossed and wish me luck.

Happy Easter and Passover to all!!!

Honored Contributor

I use my slow cooker on high for about 8 hrs. with plenty of liquid.  I use vegetable boullion cubes to give it flavor along with S&P, onions and garlic.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Roast Pork Loin Help

[ Edited ]

I have been making a Pork Roast a L'Orange for years.  I have plenty of other recipes, especially now on Pinterest, but I always go back to this tried and true roast.  Very easy roast (boneless center cut pork loin) that is covered in an orange marmalade/soy sauce mixture.  You top it with half the mixture and bake covered with foil.  Uncover halfway through and top with the rest of the mixture and bake uncovered until done.  Comes out super moist and makes its own sauce to serve with it.  If you would like the recipe, let me know, as I am not home at the moment.

ETA the recipe, if anyone is interested.  The actual name is Festive Glazed Pork Roast.  I just renamed it Pork Roast a L'Orange (more descriptive).  Smiley Happy

You can easily adjust this recipe if you have a larger roast.  When I had a lot of guests in the past, I found it easier to just make 2 smaller 2.5-3 lb. roasts (roughly similar weights) in the same pan, because they cook faster.  I also insert my oven's meat thermometer.  I have cooked it to 170 degrees, or just a little less, to allow for carry-over cooking.  I slice into the middle a bit to check for doneness.  I have had this recipe for years, when they recommended cooking pork to 170.  I know they have considerably lowered that in recent years, so cook the roast how you like it.  I like it at 170 and I will tell you that there is no risk of drying out this roast.  It always comes out tender and delicious!

Festive Glazed Pork Roast

2.5-3 lb. boneless pork loin (I always use center cut)

1 (12. oz.) jar of orange marmalade

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon thyme (dry)

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place roast in baking pan (I use my 9x13 Pyrex, or my larger one if making 2 roasts).

In a small bowl, combine orange marmalade, soy sauce, thyme & garlic powder.  Brush or spoon half of the mixture over the roast.  Bake, covered, at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover, baste roast with remaining marmalade mixture. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes longer or until meat thermometer registers 170.  You will get some nice caramelization in the second half of roasting.

Makes 6-8 servings.

Enjoy!