Occasional Visitor

Rice recepe with pees and caroots

On Sundays Show there was rice on that was not part of cook book that was on I need recipe it had pees and caroots in it . Please help if you can.

Respected Contributor

Re: Rice recepe with pees and caroots

@gwenn wrote:

On Sundays Show there was rice on that was not part of cook book that was on I need recipe it had pees and caroots in it . Please help if you can.

Gwenn, Did the recipe have some other vegetables in it also and do you remember who presented it?  I came across this one in David's list of vegetarian recipes:

Five -A-Day-Fried Rice

Five-A-Day Fried Rice
Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 3 cups white rice, cooked
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil
  • 5 eggs, beaten
  • 2 green onion sprigs, finely sliced (optional garnish)
Directions:
  1. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, celery, carrots, and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3–5 minutes.
  2. Add the cooked rice, ground ginger, and soy sauce and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring to evenly distribute ingredients. Stir in the peas and reduce the heat to medium low.
  3. In a separate skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the beaten eggs and stir quickly until the eggs are completely scrambled and cooked. Add the eggs to the rice mixture and toss to evenly distribute.
  4. Spoon the rice onto plates and garnish each dish with the sliced green onions, if desired.
Trusted Contributor

@gwenn Gwenn please come back and give us a little more information if you can.  What were they showing at the time, who the vendor was, was it a cookbook or a cooking utensil (pots and pans, rice cooker, etc.) Everyone would be glad to help but need more info.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gwennGwenn, Go to the QVC search bar and look up COOKBOOKS.  go to "cooking at home with bridget and Julia." when the page comes up,look under the large frame picture and there are a couple of sample recipies there. one of them is chicken with carrots and peas it has rice too.  Perhaps that is the recipe you are looking for. Hope this helps. Forgot to addc lick on the little picture of the recipe and it will come up on the big frame so you can read it if you use the little magnifying glass symbol and move it around.  It'll be sections at a time but you should be able to figure the whole recipe out.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I use this recipe all the time - you can certainly add carrots if you want:

Browned Rice with PeasRecipe by Bev I Am

Photo

Photo by Lavender Lynn

undefined
PREP TIME: 40 minsTOTAL TIME: 55 mins
SERVES: 8
About This Recipe

"This recipe is so good you will want to save it for company, but don't! Your family deserves to be pampered! This is a very simple recipe that will remind you of fried rice and full of rich flavor! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!"

Ingredients
    • 1 cup rice
    • 2 1/2 cups boiling water
    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
    • 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms, drained
    • 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
    • 8 ounces canned water chestnuts, drained and diced
    • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In dry skillet, brown rice, stirring often.
  3. Turn into a 1 1/2 qt casserole; add water and stir with fork to separate grains.
  4. Cover and bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.

Directions
  1. Meanwhile in skillet, over low heat, melt butter, add onion and mushrooms and saute, then remove from heat; add peas, chestnuts and soy sauce.
  2. Add to rice and blend gently.
  3. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
  4. Hint: Add 1 TBS oil, butter or margarine to rice before boiling to make grains separate and rice will never stick to pan.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@narcisse

I like the hint you offer.  I bet a bit of sesame oil added to the boiling water would enhance the flavor of the rice.  I wouldn't use a tablespoon of sesame oil because of its strong flavor but would use it in conjunction with one of the fats you suggest in your hint.   I probably would make this one time with a neutral oil + sesame oil and then another time with butter.  I definitely will attempt this easy 'almost like' fried rice recipe.  Thanks for posting this