Trusted Contributor

Rhubarb-Strawberry Sauce with a twist

4 cups rhubarb, washed and cut into pieces

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 cup sugar

1   6 oz. pkg. strawberry Jell-o

1 cup orange juice

1 cup fresh sliced strawberries

Bring rhubarb, water, and sugar to a boil, lower heat, and cook 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.  Remove from heat and stir in jell-o until dissolved.  Add orange juice.  Mix well.  Chill until mixture begins to thicken.  Fold in sliced strawberries.  Let set.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Rhubarb-Strawberry Sauce with a twist

[ Edited ]

My mother used to serve this over vanilla ice cream, It's one of my favorites:

1 lb rhubarb, peeled and sliced 1" thick

1/4 cup honey

2 tbsp water

1 tsp vanilla

4 cups quartered strawberries

1 tbsp butter

In covered crockpot, cook rhubarb, honey, water, and vanilla on high until rhubarb is soft and sauce is thickened, about 1 1/2-2 hours.  Stir in strawberries and butter and let sit 5 minutes.  She would keep it warm on low setting. 

But i like the idea of adding a bit of tang with orange juice.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@deepwaterdotter, your recipe sounds delicious.  I like almost everything with rhubarb and strawberry together.  I'm going to be sure to add it to my recipes.

Yes, the orange juice is the twist and you really don't taste it, but it keeps the sauce from being too sweet, at least in my opinion.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

How did you know that I bought strawberries and rhubarb this week---and for a sauce too!!!   I put mine over homemade yogurt but would drink it from a cupWoman LOL too!!!

Honored Contributor

We had so much rhubarb (pie plant as the locals called it) in our farm garden. I hated all the rhubarb sauce that was made (waste not, want not). Your orange twist and strawberries would make it more palatable to me @wismiss .