Honored Contributor

Re: RespectLife where are you... Making Greek Baklava Cheesecake recipe again....

I'm not snickering...Adore, I promise!  Oh the bells!  The bells!!

Mustang, you got a deal...when the pie hits the top of my list to make, I will trade you a piece for sure!

And if any of you ladies what a yummy meal....DO make Adore's stuffed meatloaf!  It is SO good and was lots of fun to make!  DH and I were just talking about that meatloaf on Saturday!

Respected Contributor

Re: RespectLife where are you... Making Greek Baklava Cheesecake recipe again....

You're very welcome mustang.

The video is really helpful because you can make the dish along with the step by step instructions. It is really fool proofSmiley Happy.

Some people like to keep their family recipes a secret, yet many do share especially with close friends.....I share with all my friends, because that is a way to also educate them about various ethnic foods.

The same applies for American recipes when I visit overseas.

They all ask me to explain and then make the dish and we eat it, and I end up dictating the recipe to them so they can also make it on their own.  

I think it is nice to share recipes with those friends who would appreciate receiving them.

Regarding your Greek friend she evidently did not want to share and keep the recipes private.....oh well...

As far as the red rice dish was it perhaps Greek tomato rice like this one?

http://foodandspice.blogspot.com/2008/02/greek-tomato-rice.html

Greek Tomato Rice:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup short or medium grain white rice
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 3/4 cups water
  • 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried red chili pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions:

• In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat. When hot, add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions begin to brown. While the onions are cooking, bring the water, tomatoes, chili pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to a boil in a small saucepan.

• Add the rice to the onion, and stir for a minute to coat the grains. Now pour the tomato and water mixture over the rice and onions. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the cooked rice sit for a five minutes, then add the Parmesan cheese and fluff with a fork. Serve hot.

Makes 4 servings

P.S. You said there was meat in it, so I believe if not lamb then it may have been some sort of stewing meat which was prepared, and then cut into smaller pieces and added to this rice recipe. (You can choose your preference as far as the meat mustang). Please let me have your feedback about this recipe, if and when you make it.

I hope this rice recipe is close to what you were referring to because it is tasty. Also if there is anything you don't want to use no worried just omit it or substitute with another favorite you may prefer instead.

I am so sorry for what you experienced Mustang and you will remain in my prayers daily.

Now for "the bells"....the new bells are the dogs.

He would not dare get a wooden spoon and a pot because the dogs would let him have it real quick....(let's not forget who their master really is).

They can sit by him for a while, go outside for a bit, and when they return go by his side again, and if and when he needs something they can bark, and I will know.......much easier and pleasant on the nervous system than the bells, at least the dogs are much nicer to listen too. 

Went to the doctor today and he heard that awful cough, and heard the congestion in hubby's chest, along with his inflamed red sore throat, so he does have the onset of bronchitis. Doctor said with this crazy weather many peole caught it again.

The doctor gave him a script for cough syrup with codein, and antibiotics.  We also bought plenty Cepocol maximum strength cough drops in lemon and cherry flavored. Helps keep the throad really moist.

It is best to catch bronchitis early on, rather than wait for a full blown breathing problem and phlegm situation.

Now he has all his gear....he ran up to the master bedroom and found his stuff and is up there now.....the ritual of the Vicks soon begins, and I also am boiling a big fat hen to make him Greek chicken noodle soup with fresh  diced carrots, grated onions, minced garlic, and diced celery.

To that I also added some salt, poultry seasoning, dried mint, fresh chopped very fine Italian parsley and dill weed.

I also add juice of one fresh lemon to a big pot of Greek Chicken Soup. (The lemon also helps break down the chest congestion).

The mint tea with fresh lemon and honey is ready for him and is just steeping for a few minutes. 

We brought back some of his favorites after we went to the Doctor, so he can have a variety of foods to eat if he gets hungry, and I need to go out for a while.  We also brought back 3 quarts of his favorite ice cream to help his throat feel better. (Stopped at Carvel Ice Cream, and got the soft versions of Strawberry, Pistachio, and chocolate ice cream).

BTW mustang he is still on a very serious hunt for the bells, but I will remain silent on that one mustangSmiley Happy.

The soup is almost ready to be deboned and then I will add the shredded chicken back into the chicken broth, along with about 20 small frozen Greek Meatballs, I always make and freeze to have on hand for soups. 

I will also add some Orzo and when it's ready......I will give a holler saying"It' Soup.....as they say).....so that is his cue to come down to have dinner sine he is not that sick as of yet and can still walk around.

That wil be dinner for him. I have already ordered my delivery of Chinese food...China town version of Seafood soup,  Lobster Cantonese, BBQ Spare ribs, and a side order of BBQ roast pork which I also cut up and put in hubby's soup for added flavor, when he eats all the Greek meat balls from his soup I am making today.

Also thanks for sharing with RespectLife.....you both will enjoy everything!

Well I am here my friend if you need anything, so you take good care, and enjoy making those recipes eventually.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello Adore,

I'm so sorry - I haven't had time to scratch my watch or wind my butt for the last few days!  I almost missed your response!  I'm so happy to have the recipe for the red rice.  I am not a real rice fan-can take it or leave it but I did really like this recipe of hers.  I have no clue if the one you shared is the same or close to, but will give it a try.  My guess is she wanted to keep the recipes in the family and I am not family.  That's ok, but boy, that Greek salad was the bomb!

We are literally getting bombed right now with thunderstorms and rain.  Some areas have had 6 inches of rain or more in the last 4 hours.  We are to have rain off and on all day and night tomorrow, too.  We are going to need an ark!   I have been busy cleaning and doing laundry just in case we lose power for an extended time.  Just want to do as much as possible to be prepared.  We are fine here, but many around us are dealing with floods and all kinds of storm disasters.  Levys are breaking here and with more storms predicted, it may get quite bad. Back in '93, things got so bad with the flooding and broken levy's that we had national guards here most of the summer.  Was a strange time for all. 

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the recipes you shared and the website.  I still have not had time to watch it but I will-I want that recipe!   I am not much of a pasta person but there are a few things I do love.  Pasticio (again sp?!) is one of those! 

I'm so sorry your DH is ill.  I had bronchitis that went into pneumonia earlier this year and I was miserable.  I felt so old and helpless.  I don't think I would want the bells, though.  The dogs are fine alarms.  Reminds me of when I had my first child; my poodle would walk in the nursery then find me and bark, then return to the nursery and then find me again and bark.  This ritual would continue until I would follow him - he was trying to tell me the baby was awake even if she wasn't crying!  Dog are extremely effective alarms!  Make sure DH changes postition frequently, and coughs and deep breathes to help keep the congestion broken up. Will have him and you on my prayer list. 

Thanks for everything, my friend. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dear Mustang,

Many thanks for your very kind thoughtful reply, including your prayers, which we certainly need.

No need to ever apologize . We all know about having no time, seems to happen too often, but.....

I hope you will like the Greek rice recipe as well as your memories of your Greek friend's Greek Red rice recipe.

I hope the Greek salad dressing recipe is also acceptable, and just as tasty.

About this crazy weather I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. They produce such miracles with technology, yet no one can devise a safe way to stop these atmospheric disturbances in their tracks before they do damage. A while ago some Physicist had an idea of designing missiles to be able to stop all these dangerous atmospheric anomaly's as soon as they begin to manifest themselves......but have not heard anything else to date....but where life exists, hope resides and lives eternal.

They predicted depression Cyclone Bill would produce massive thunderstorms and possibilities of tornadoes as he passed close to me, but I believe he was taking a rest because we lucked out and all we had was rain and T storms but in my area absolutely no damage to peak of, and yet others in the Northeast were not so lucky and had plenty damage. So unpredictable isn't it?

Mustang you are very welcome, and I hope you enjoy the Greek web site and all the Greek recipes, in addition to the recipes I post on QVC.

We are so very sorry to read that you also had bronchitis and pneumonia this year. That is so frightening and painful.

ThIs time we caught his bronchitis right way and the mucous is breaking up.

He is able to get rid of it easily now, so I believe he will be right as rain very soon.

The Doctor said the key is catching it and getting the  antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine into the system along with homemade hot chicken noodle soup which also aids to break up the stuff, in addition to brewing hot tea green or black tea with tumeric and sliced fresh ginger. (This all helps break it down before it has a chance to multiply in the lungs and turn into pneumonia).

I recall my bronchitis into pneumonia and almost died. I was hospitalized for quite a while, and that was a very frightening time in my life.

As we age our immune system weakens leaving us very susceptible to everything, and what I fear the most is bronchial conditions, pneumonia, and contracting MRSA again from the hospital.

Yes I agree all dogs have a 6th sense and warn us by barking and nipping at our ankles. Thank goodness for their ability to foretell of danger.

Well Mustang I hope you feel better very soon, and take it easy, rest if you can in between your schedule.

God Bless....and wishing you all a safe relaxing and happy, upcoming weekendSmiley Happy.

Also Mustang no need to post back again, just take care and post when you do feel better, if you wish.

Enclosing get well Sisterly hugs, along with our many daily prayers for all of you.