New Contributor

Request for a great/easy pound cake recipe, please

[ Edited ]

Hello friends,

I recently baked a made-from-scratch blueberry pound cake, which was very good, but could you all please share an easy (plain) pound cake recipe with me? 

Also, even though I generously sprayed the heavy metal bundt pan with Pam, I couldn't get it to "dump" out, upside down, onto a plate. We had to cut it from the bundt pan in which it had baked. A friend told me they had the same problem. Should I have used oil or Crisco instead of Pam spray? Any advice? Thank you! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Request for a great/easy pound cake recipe, please

i like to spray and flour mypan before i bake any cake.  then let thecake cool in the pan for about 10 to 15 minutesbefore turning out.  if you leaveit any longer, then the sugars will harden and it will stick to the pan.  but if you try turnout without letting it rest for a few minutes, it will crumble

Honored Contributor

I make bundt cakes all the time, use a silicone bundt pan, only had one problem.  Since the pan is flexible, I turned the cake over and peeled the pan off the cake.  Worked great.  

Contributor

Hi. Always use crisco to grease your pan. Either put on a rubber gove or use a plastic sandwich bag and get in all the grooves of the pan. If you miss any the cake will stick to that part of the pan. After greasing well take some foud and coat your pan. Shake out any excess. Once cake is done let cool completely. Take a knife around edges to loosen. Cake should come right out. I used to have the same problem when I used a cooking spray. Crisco is best. You can google any cake recipe you want. That is what I do. I recently brought a Bundt Pan cake cookbook which I love. Go on Amazon. Good Luck.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bamabaskets12   Welcome to the boards!  I use Nordic Ware Bundt pans.  I use room temperature butter and generously grease the pan with it and then flour it--tapping the pan gently and rolling and gently shaking it on its side to get a light film over the butter.  

If baking a chocolate Bundt cake I follow the same procedure except to use cocoa power instead of flour to dust the buttered pan.

I never use cooking spray in baking or cooking; I've read too much about it to think it is of any use, and in the case of non-stick surfaces it evidently degrades them.

When the cake is done I remove it from the oven and place it on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes.  I invert it on a plate and tap the bottom gently all around the raised bumps and it comes out.

With any baked good that does not release easily I put it back in the warm oven for a couple of minutes and that usually does the trick.

I soak my Nordic Ware pans that have elaborate designs with lots of nooks and crevices in Dawn dish liquid to soak.  I use a Dobie pad to scrub them.  If I have any stubborn baked on sugar and batter I use a little baking soda activated with a splash of white vinger in a small bowl and use a clean Q-tip to get out any of those cemented on bits.

If you have to cut into a cake pan, as with brownies, use one of those nylon knives so that the non-stick doesn't get damaged.  My experience is that once that surface is marred in any way the pan is on its way to the trash bin.

My Significant Other just damaged a 9 X 13 metal non-stick pan last week by cutting into it with a metal spatula.  After washing up he noticed that the coating was peeling away in several spots so I explained between the acid base in his  main dish recipe and the use of metal to cut into the dish (and he probably also used an abrasive type sponge) that it was no longer of use so it got tossed.

Good luck with your next Bundt pound cake.  I'm certain others will have great ideas for you.  There are a lot of talented, experienced bakers and cooks here and they are always pleased to lend a hand!

If you get a chance, please come back and let us know if you have success on your next try. 

New Contributor

I left it sitting to "cool" for way too long, so what you mentioned about the sugar making it hard to get out, what have been what happened. Thanks for both of your recommendations. I'm new to "from-scratch" baking; usually Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines are my buddies in the kitchen, LOL!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bamabaskets12 - I'm posting a simple vanilla pound cake recipe that our family has enjoyed for many years—hopefully it will help you get started. I am a Bundt pan fanatic and always use Baker's Joy spray with flour in my pans; if you really wash all the nooks and crannies well (I always do so by hand) when you're finished, the pans will stay clean and in great shape. You can certainly butter and flour the pan if you prefer that, but I've never had a cake stick with the Baker's Joy spray. Be sure to check out the other great tips shared by @aroc3435 as well. Happy baking!

Perfect Pound Cake

3 C sugar
1 C butter (no substitutes), slightly softened
7 eggs, at room temperature
3 C flour
1 C heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla

Lightly coat a 10" Bundt pan with baking spray (or grease and then flour). Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, thoroughly cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in half the flour, then all of the cream, then the other half of the flour and all of the vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Place in a COLD oven and set heat to 350. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrapped well, this cake keeps for several days (if you're lucky enough to have leftovers!).

Honored Contributor

Pound Cheesecake

2 sticks butter or margarine

1 - 8oz. pkg. cream cheese

2 c. sugar

2 c. Bisquick

1 tsp. vanilla

salt

6 eggs

Cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Add Bisquick, vanilla, and a dash of salt. Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each. Bake in a  Bundt pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Cool. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always use a well greased and floured loaf pan.  I have many pound cake recipes, some more complicated than others, but the two I'm about to share with you are tried and true "secret family recipes"....

Yellow-Pound-Cake-Recipe.jpgYellow Pound Cake (recipe courtesy of Duncan HInes)

Ingredients
  • Cake:
  • 1 pkg Duncan Hines® Moist Deluxe® Classic Yellow Cake Mix
  • 1 (3.4 oz) pkg vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • Glaze:
  • 1/2 cup Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Frosting, favorite flavor
Baking Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt® or tube pan.
  • Combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil in large bowl.
  • Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan.
  • Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
  • Cool cake on wire rack 25 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.

And another one, even easier....

large_46fe91b6-4a81-47bd-b779-761ddb21e174.png

I make a lot of pound cakes, and I 've found that the best method to guarantee moistness is to cream the wet ingredients well, but only mix in the dry ingredients until well incorporated.  Overmixing the dry ingredients seems to be what causes the cake to become dry.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@loriqvc   Do you know your recipe was Elvis's favorite pound cake?  It was published in the Cincinnati Enquirer over thirty years ago with this introduction:  

"This recipe comes from the woman who baked it frequently for Elvis Presley.  She is anonymous lest she be deluged by folks from Tupelo requesting she bake it for them for birthdays and special occasions."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.