Respected Contributor

My grocery store had Panera soup on sale at a good price. I bought several to freeze. I read on their site you can freeze them in the unopened container for up to nine months. My question is how would you heat them after freezing? Would you thaw them first in the refrigerator?  Microwave them from frozen? Or maybe, dump them in a pot and heat on the stove? I've never frozen them before.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Re: Reheating frozen soup?

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher - I don't think I've ever bought frozen soup, but I have frozen soup I've made. 

I just put it in the microwave without defrosting first. I set the control on heat, and stir it halfway through. I just keep checking until it's hot. It's always turned out well!   Smiley Happy

ETA: I love Panera soups. I'll have to look for these! 

Honored Contributor

I would leave it in the frig overnight to somewhat thaw and I normally just put it in a pot on the stove to warm as I prefer to simmer my soups.  When I make a large crockpot I always freeze a couple of containers.

Respected Contributor

Best would be to thaw in the fridge first.  I often forget to do that. I would thaw it in the microwave (50% power) and then bring it to a simmer in a pot on the stove.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've gotten frozen soup at Costco and they always say thaw before heating.  The last batch I got were in flat plastic bags.  I would think that would thaw faster than the ones in a container.  

Esteemed Contributor

i do not reheat anything in those card board or plastic containers. i'd put in a different  bowl  to microwave or pan for the stove

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher  I would thaw in the fridge overnight then heat in a saucepan. 

Honored Contributor

I would thaw in the fridge or in a bowl of warm water until half way thawed then put on low heat.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make soups often and freeze them. I usually microwave straight from the freezer, but I'll occasionally take a couple or more out and place in the refrigerator to thaw for DH and me to eat within a few days.

BTW one of our stores, Tops, also carries those Panera soups along with their mac and cheese. We get the mac and cheese often.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

When I make soup, whatever I freeze I put in a freezer zip-loc bag. I put it in the fridge the day before to thaw out and then simmer it on the stove. If I forget to take it out the day before, I fill a pot with hot water and let it sit in the hot water for awhile. It thaws it enough to put into the pot to simmer.