Honored Contributor

Re: Regarding: Do you still cook?

I do cook,. quite a bit.  I My food prep has changed over the years from so many meats being roasted in gravy,

Now, pot roasts are tenderised in the crock pot.  Many meats are done on our grill with marinades and spices.

We also grill fresh corn on the cob after a 15 minute cold water soak, and roast many vegetables in the oven.

I make quite a few salads, and have found potato salad and like items even from Fresh Market not up to par, which was "soupy".

When I make homemade spaghetti sauce or stew beef with burgandy, beef broth, mushrooms, and onions I freeze quite a bit.

Respected Contributor

My husband use to do all the cooking but not so much any more.  His health is not the best.  I don't mind cooking but what to cook is my issue.  I like making simple things.

Monday I made a turkey breast and last night we made a turkey casserole with broccoli and cheese.  My husband made and I helped.  Tonight I had a turkey sandwich.  He had one earlier.  We still have casserole and probably  have for lunch tomorrow and we gave my daughter most of it as well.  She lives next door and we share meals with her, son in law and the two grand kids so they do not go to waste.  They do the grilling.

I took out a beef roast for later this week. Nice sized one which we will share as well.

We do salmon or hadock from the Q.  Burgers, chicken, breakfast for supper.  Sometimes salads.  Lots of variety.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of fresh green salads with salmon or chicken (cooked on the grill). I've almost eliminated red meats in the last 10 years. Enjoy salmon, chicken, lamb, mixed nuts, fresh fruits & berries, cheeses, sweet potatoes, fresh veggies (steamed or grilled), rice, variety of spices & EVOO, portebello mushrooms, pickles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, high quality dark chocolate (2 pcs. daily), etc. and WATER throughout the day.

[Nothing is from a can or fastfood ever. I try to avoid preservatives, but sometimes find it impossible in items I love to eat and are easy to prepare for one person.]

Breakfast: oatmeal with raisons OR egg w/cheese on whole grain toast and fresh cantelope or pineapple chunks OR 6 oz. OJ.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

My step-daughter does not cook. She has one of those meal delivery (box service) options.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

I never really cooked in the first place. I serve good meals but most are packaged as in Steam Fresh Vegetables, breaded and frozen fish meals.  

One exception is baked salmon.  

Respected Contributor

I LOVE to cook.  It's just my husband and myself,  unless we have company.  I'm always trying new recipes,  breaking out the old favorites, and baking.  I still have so much fun doing it.