Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

My mom cooked for farmers and ranchers from the 1950s and on.  She did NOT cook like PW, and no you do not have to.  They couldn't possibly eat that way and look like that. 

We ate a lot of good lean beef, grass and pasture fed, lots and lots of veggies steamed, boiled or grilled and sauted, potatoes were baked not fried, no gobs of cheese on anything, not a lot of carbs.  

And breakfast was cereal, oatmeal, or sometimes a few vanilla wafers grabbed on the way out the door!  LOL!!!

We hardly ever fried anything.  To this day I don't like mashed potatoes or greasy stuff with gobs of cheese--although I love cheese but just as cheese!  Woman Very Happy

The family goes back a long way in Oklahoma.  The Drummonds are some of the largest land holders in the US, have oil money and I seriously doubt she was ever home in an apron cooking all the time.  

She grew up I think on the country club in Bartlesville OK, a town of 30,000 or so maybe, about 30 minutes from the Drummond Ranch.  Bartlesville has the Frank Phillips home and a Frank Lloyd Wright tower, and is an interesting little city. Her father was a doctor if I remember correctly.  Bartlesville has always been an oil town. 

She isn't a total fake, and they do run probably more than 10,000 cattle and herds of wild horses the govt. pays them to house.  And I'm sure Ladd does work cattle.  But are they simple farm folk?  Not your normal ones for sure.  Nothing against them, but a Mom and Pop operation it isn't. 

@Sooner    I do remember her talking about going to the country club with her mother when she was young.  Her dad was/is a doctor.   So she grew up with money it sounds like.

Regular Contributor

The words I speak are for myself and family . Things were very different in the "50's" .  I attended  a Parochial School and then a high school . I worked hard to achieve what I now have . I did not attend a college . I do regret this . 

I encourage the class of 2020 to continue on and achieve all that they can . Our world is now a challenge . In November I attended  our 50th high school reunion  Many accomplished people had passed and yet there were those of us that were there to renew our friendship .

i myself admire many people , I am not jealous of them . We are all different and have walked different paths . We all have what we have .

Blessings to all .

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Saw her put together some mashed potatoes today.  They probably would be good, but fattening to beat the band.  Holy smokes, 2 sticks of butter, real cream, cream cheese and the potatoes!!!  Whoa....................

That's how I make mine!  They are FABULOUS!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Saw her put together some mashed potatoes today.  They probably would be good, but fattening to beat the band.  Holy smokes, 2 sticks of butter, real cream, cream cheese and the potatoes!!!  Whoa....................

That's how I make mine!  They are FABULOUS!

@SurferWife I'm thinking that it's not the potatoes that people like. . . Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

I did make some "Brown Sugar Oatmeal Cookies" that were from

the Pioneer Woman/Ree Drummond recipes on the Food network.

They are great cookies.  I did add raisins and toasted pecans, which were optional.

I keep the dough in balls in freezer zip lock bags so that when our

grandson comes---not sure when (!!!!), he'll have a nice treat.

I have picked up some nice recipes from food tv, but I have to say,

my favoites for baked goods are Nigella Lawson and Ina Garten.

Respected Contributor

So many celebrity cooks do cook high calorie foods. Emeril, Paula Deen, Julia Child etc... do they eat like that everyday? I don't think so. They all have made money with cookbooks, merchandise & restaurants which is a smart move for them to brand their names. Food Network & Food Channel do have other chefs that cook low calorie foods. We have a choice of what we want to watch or eat. I like watching these shows. Ree is filming with the kids at home since quarantine and so funny when she makes mistakes & things drop. 

Respected Contributor
I don’t care much for the shows they are filming themselves. For me to much of being silly.

As far as food they eat in their personal life, have no idea if it’s anything like she cooks on her show. I have noticed that the portion sizes that are served on the show are not that large or oversized and rarely looks like extras are made for second and third helpings. This could be part of the way they control their weight by eating realistic portions.
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
I don’t care much for the shows they are filming themselves. For me to much of being silly.

As far as food they eat in their personal life, have no idea if it’s anything like she cooks on her show. I have noticed that the portion sizes that are served on the show are not that large or oversized and rarely looks like extras are made for second and third helpings. This could be part of the way they control their weight by eating realistic portions.

@Kindaglitzy I agree with you.  I never think of it as what they "really" eat all the time or how they live.  It's a cooking show not someone really cooking and making a meal in their kitchen.

I can't watch those shows her kids and their friends are filming.  I almost feel like I'm peeping in the window at them.  And she's trying to act like a kid too, and that's odd to me and I don't think she pull it off. 

Anyway, to me they are a hot mess and I'll be glad when her produced and somewhat at least informative shows come back.

I'll be glad when all the tv people get out of their pj's and comb their hair.  If I want to see that I can look in the mirror in the mornings!  Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@msgb  My favorite recipe of hers is cheesy jalapeno bread, it is so good. 

Valued Contributor

There is a cookbook that I found when all this started. I bought it and I have tried a few recipes and some more than once because they are that well liked.

It is Midwest Made. Most sweets and some breads and pretzels and biscuits, etc.

I make the cheddar brewed bread and I thought it was wonderful. I do not usually care for cheese (I know call me crazy) but my husband is all about cheese and this was a hit.