Honored Contributor

I do not make my Ranch Style Mashed Potatoes often but oh boy are they good.  Cream Cheese, a package of dry Ranch Style Dressing mix and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  Plus the butter and milk you normally use for mixing mashed potatoes.  Bake for about 20 minutes and just slab it all on your thighs. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

I'd call that potato dish cardiologist delight!

Honored Contributor

I like Ree and her shows, I have all of her cookbooks and have fixed many of her recipes.

You can always substitute the healthier versions of the ingredients.  She often states this in her shows.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I can take her in small doses only because she starts almost every sentence with "NOW".   Drives me crazy.  I think her food usually looks good but it's not what we eat, for the most part. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ree Drummond

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal wrote:

I can take her in small doses only because she starts almost every sentence with "NOW".   Drives me crazy.  I think her food usually looks good but it's not what we eat, for the most part. 

-----------------------------

That is my thought on her shows too!!  It drives me nuts that when transferring one food from one container to another, she never completely scrapes out the first container.  She always leaves at least several spoonfuls!!  What a waste!  I also get tired of hearing her very fake sounding giggle!  No one giggles after every sentence!!!

I rarely watch her shows, just when clicking thru

channels.  Her food does look good, but I do not cook that way...anymore!!

Honored Contributor

@KatieB & @corita are you there when they are cleaning up the kitchen and watching them throw away what's been left on the chopping board or in the mixing bowl?

How do you know that it's not being used in other dishes?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@KatieB & @corita are you there when they are cleaning up the kitchen and watching them throw away what's been left on the chopping board or in the mixing bowl?

------------

Of course not, are you???  Just my observation...

no reason to get defensive...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter  When she's filming her show I doubt she's making another meal with one bite-sized piece of chicken..  What could you make with that???   Do tell.   

The other stuff - (I did not take the time to count the number of pieces of carrot, onion, celery,celantro, or parsley she left on the counter.   I just don't know why she wouldn't pick up the entire bunch she had just chopped..  It makes no sense to me.   Maybe that's the way you cook, but I don't cook that way..  

But I still want to know what you would cook with one bite-sized piece of chicken.

Trusted Contributor

Long ago I used to record every new show of the Pioneer Woman.  I enjoyed her initially. I have to say, I got extremely tired of her mannerisms, many that have been mentioned here.  I started watching Trisha Yearwood and I liked her better; she isn’t constantly smiling and has a dry wit sense of humor, which I appreciate. I recorded her for awhile but had to quit. It’s a matter of prioritizing what I’m going to spend my time on, unfortunately. 

Honored Contributor

My mom cooked for farmers and ranchers from the 1950s and on.  She did NOT cook like PW, and no you do not have to.  They couldn't possibly eat that way and look like that. 

We ate a lot of good lean beef, grass and pasture fed, lots and lots of veggies steamed, boiled or grilled and sauted, potatoes were baked not fried, no gobs of cheese on anything, not a lot of carbs.  

And breakfast was cereal, oatmeal, or sometimes a few vanilla wafers grabbed on the way out the door!  LOL!!!

We hardly ever fried anything.  To this day I don't like mashed potatoes or greasy stuff with gobs of cheese--although I love cheese but just as cheese!  Woman Very Happy

The family goes back a long way in Oklahoma.  The Drummonds are some of the largest land holders in the US, have oil money and I seriously doubt she was ever home in an apron cooking all the time.  

She grew up I think on the country club in Bartlesville OK, a town of 30,000 or so maybe, about 30 minutes from the Drummond Ranch.  Bartlesville has the Frank Phillips home and a Frank Lloyd Wright tower, and is an interesting little city. Her father was a doctor if I remember correctly.  Bartlesville has always been an oil town. 

She isn't a total fake, and they do run probably more than 10,000 cattle and herds of wild horses the govt. pays them to house.  And I'm sure Ladd does work cattle.  But are they simple farm folk?  Not your normal ones for sure.  Nothing against them, but a Mom and Pop operation it isn't.