Honored Contributor

Recommendations for a New Year's Eve Martini

Looking for something that appeals to martini drinkers and is also "holiday special."  New Year's Eve, specifically.

I am pretty much a wine drinker so I don't know a whole lot about mixed drinks.  But I do know people often feature one kind of martini at a party; something pretty universal, but not boring.  Your ideas would be appreciated (along with the recipe. Woman LOL)

TIA Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a New Year's Eve Martini

I am usually a devoted dirty martini (with blue cheese stuffed olives) lover. But for my birthday our favorite bartender made me a key lime martini.  I highly recommend and have since served these martinis at parties I have hosted.  In fact, many of my friends who might normally turn up their noses at a drink like this have become fans.  

Note:  This is definitely a drink for people who would otherwise not like drinking vodka (or gin) straight as in a regular martini.  

Respected Contributor

I'll bet your party is gonna be fun, & it's nice that you're trying to come up w/ a festive martini.

You can decide to offer either a sweet or a savory martini.

At Christmas time, I've seen tiny candy canes used as a garnish/swizzle sticks for sweet martinis, but I'd forgo the crushed candy cane rims - they always start to run down the sides of the glass & make a sticky mess.

(Speaking of sugared rims: back east some bars offer cinnamon sugared rims for their pumpkin beer.)

You can float a sage leaf in the glass, or skewer the olives w/ a rosemary sprig.

Blue Curacao makes a prettily colored martini, & there are tons of martini recipes on Pinterest.

Enjoy your party!

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many fruit flavored vodkas.  You mighy chose a universally liked flavor like strawberry or mango.

Valued Contributor

My vote would be for Giada  De Laurentiis' Chocolate-Espresso Martinis.  They are delicious and will help everyone stay up until midnight 🙂

Ingredients:
4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
2/3 cup brewed espresso, chilled
2/3 cup coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
2/3 cup vanilla-flavored vodka
Ice

Combine the chocolate and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and place over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
Dip the rims of 4 martini glasses into the melted chocolate, allowing any excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Chill the glasses in the freezer for 10 minutes.
In a pitcher, mix together the espresso, coffee liqueur and vodka. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. In batches, add the vodka mixture and shake for 10 seconds. Strain the mixture into the prepared glasses and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

Thank you one and all. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Clinton Kelly and Michael Simon on "The Chew" always have fabulous cocktails and martinis of all kinds....Honestly, I would begin the evening with dry-save the sweet " I can't taste the alcohol-and it's New Year's" for later....it all depends on the crowd you are having etc. Ad nauseam....and it is important.  I am not going to preach, but I have seen Clinton pair martinis with little easy to prepare appetizers- Be safe and may all your guests enjoy!

Poodlepet2