Honored Contributor

Recipes needed for desserts that are very low sodium and fat!

I was hoping that some of you could post your actual recipes for desserts that you have made which are very low in sodium and fat!

My mother is on a resricted diet and would like some kind of dessert once in a while.  She eats a lot of fruit but is getting tired of just having that.

She will not eat anything with pineapple.  She does not like angelfood cake.  And she likes very limited use of cinnamon.

She also is sick of jello.  

So, this is not the easiest to come up with a dessert that is pretty yummy, yet not loaded with sodium and fat!

Thank you --- I appreciate your posts! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Recipes needed for desserts that are very low sodium and fat!

[ Edited ]

Angelfood cake? sorry she dosen't like.  maybe there's a low fat chocolate drizzle to put over it?

Respected Contributor

Hi Angelpuppy! One of my favorite desserts is Nigella Lawsons Clementine Cake: I make it Diabetes friendly by using sugar substitute-but you don't need that much.

The ingredients are 3-4 clementines that you simmer whole for an hour. You can use any citrus you like. You remove the seeds and you use the whole fruit. I find making this in a blender is easiest. The rest of the ingredients include eggs, almond meal and sugar or substitute. I find the batter so sweet before adding sugar, you don't need much. I think she uses either a cup or 3/4: it would be overkill!

This cake is uber moist and decadent.....and healthy! The almond meal gives fiber and Omega -3s.

For a variation, I have added a high grade cocoa powder: chocolate and citrus is a magic combination!

Poodlepet2

Trusted Contributor

Here are the details for the cake Poodlepet2 suggested.

JAN'S CLEMENTINE CAKE

INGREDIENTS.   Serves: 1 CAKE
5 clementines
6 eggs
7⅞ ounces sugar
8⅚ ounces almond meal
1 teaspoon baking powder

METHOD
Jan's Clementine Cake is a community recipe submitted by Jan and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.

Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips.
Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC (375°F). Butter and line a 21cm Springform tin.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin.
When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time. I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 250g and slightly anglicise it, too, by adding a glaze made of icing sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

Respected Contributor

Lots of variations to make with pudding.

Nilla waver banana pudding..layers of nilla wavers, banana, sugar free vanilla pudding, store in frig for 3-4 hours before serving.

can make in parfait glasses for individual servings.

graham crackers, chocolate pudding, chocolate or carmel sauce, sprinkle of fine grated peanuts

baked pie shell, mix any flavor pudding with either whipping cream or cool whip, pour into pie shell and top with either whipping cream or cool whip with grated cookies or nuts on top.

really easy desserts without taking a lot of time.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Angelfood cake? sorry she dosen't like.  maybe there's a low fat chocolate drizzle to put over it?

@candys mine

Thank you but she refuses angelfood in any way, shape or form! 

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Hi Angelpuppy! One of my favorite desserts is Nigella Lawsons Clementine Cake: I make it Diabetes friendly by using sugar substitute-but you don't need that much.

The ingredients are 3-4 clementines that you simmer whole for an hour. You can use any citrus you like. You remove the seeds and you use the whole fruit. I find making this in a blender is easiest. The rest of the ingredients include eggs, almond meal and sugar or substitute. I find the batter so sweet before adding sugar, you don't need much. I think she uses either a cup or 3/4: it would be overkill!

This cake is uber moist and decadent.....and healthy! The almond meal gives fiber and Omega -3s.

For a variation, I have added a high grade cocoa powder: chocolate and citrus is a magic combination!

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2

Thank you.  Sounds delicious.

Honored Contributor

@vabreeze wrote:

Here are the details for the cake Poodlepet2 suggested.

JAN'S CLEMENTINE CAKE

INGREDIENTS.   Serves: 1 CAKE
5 clementines
6 eggs
7⅞ ounces sugar
8⅚ ounces almond meal
1 teaspoon baking powder

METHOD
Jan's Clementine Cake is a community recipe submitted by Jan and has not been tested by Nigella.com so we are not able to answer questions regarding this recipe.

Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips.
Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC (375°F). Butter and line a 21cm Springform tin.
Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin.
When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time. I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 250g and slightly anglicise it, too, by adding a glaze made of icing sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.

@vabreeze

Thanks so much!  I appreciate it!  

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Lots of variations to make with pudding.

Nilla waver banana pudding..layers of nilla wavers, banana, sugar free vanilla pudding, store in frig for 3-4 hours before serving.

can make in parfait glasses for individual servings.

graham crackers, chocolate pudding, chocolate or carmel sauce, sprinkle of fine grated peanuts

baked pie shell, mix any flavor pudding with either whipping cream or cool whip, pour into pie shell and top with either whipping cream or cool whip with grated cookies or nuts on top.

really easy desserts without taking a lot of time.

@Just Bling

Thanks. She eats pudding but they are trying to give her a lot less milk products due to her medical issues.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, I pretty much abandoned milk myself because I found the lactose drives up my glucose....but what is life without delicious creamy pudding?

I have experimented with all kinds of thickener in an effort to stay away from corn starch-which does me no favors either.

So far Glucomannon, or Konjac Flour is my favorite. This is the stuff Zero Pasta is made from. I add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 cup non-dairy milk. You have to add it a little at a time or else it clumps. You can use it hot or cold. I can live with the consistency: it's not quite as silky as cornstarch-but if cornstarch isn't an issue, you can certainly use it with non-dairy milks to make pudding.

By the way, if you make the Clementine Cake, you can bake it in any container you like. I have never made it in a springform pan.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2