Honored Contributor

On occasion on my Facebook page, I receive a recipe from many different sources. I received a recipe from Bon Appetit for stuffed sweet potatoes.

I thought it would be a recipe that my son would eat. There were no tomatoes, onions, peppers, mushrooms - well you get the idea. Ingredients in many recipes that he will not eat.

I watched the stuffed sweet potatoes video. It listed the ingredients but not the measurements. I winged it. And made it according to what looked like the amounts in the video. 

Am I missing a step on the video? I did not see anywhere indicating a print out of the recipe. And this isn't the only site - Tasty does the same. Is it me? Am I missing something?

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla, I've found that we need to keep clicking from one page to the next (on and on) to finally get to a recipe. And in the meantime, we put up with ads after more ads. I've stopped clicking on some wonderful looking recipes on Facebook for that reason. It slows my computer down and takes forever to get to what I'm looking for!

Honored Contributor

often there is a link you can click that will take you to the entire recipe rather than just the video. if you dont want to click on the link, you can always view the website/blog that is a part of the link, go to that blog or website, then put the name of the recipe into the search bar on that site.

what is the name of the recipe?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I've made a few of those recipes and wasted a lot of money on ingredients because they were awful.  No more.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

often there is a link you can click that will take you to the entire recipe rather than just the video. if you dont want to click on the link, you can always view the website/blog that is a part of the link, go to that blog or website, then put the name of the recipe into the search bar on that site.

The name is Loaded Sweet Potatoes with Cholula Hot Sauce Yogurt

It also had broccoli and chic peas. I followed the cooking times and burned the broccoli. They said the broccoli was to cook at 425 for 20-25 minutes. It was swiveled up and dark brown. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipes from facebook

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla, I get recipes from FB all of the time, but I only use trusted sites.  I also look closely at the directions to make sure that they make sense.  There are too many reviews of sites that state that they leave out ingredients or get the amounts mixed up.  Tonight, I made a blueberry lemon cake from Natasha's Kitchen and it is excellent.  I also made Serene's lemon cookies and they are always a hit.  Look for sites that let you sign up for daily recipes.  Those are generally very good.  I find that Bon Apetit recipes have always been a little too frou frou for me.  I apparently have a pedestrian taste.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

It also had broccoli and chic peas. I followed the cooking times and burned the broccoli. They said the broccoli was to cook at 425 for 20-25 minutes. It was swiveled up and dark brown. 

@drizzellla

here is the full recipe with a list of ingredients and measurements. did you use fresh broccoli?

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/weve-loaded-up-these-sweet-potatoes-with-some-of-your-favorite-fla...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@drizzellla

here is the full recipe with a list of ingredients and measurements. did you use fresh broccoli?

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/weve-loaded-up-these-sweet-potatoes-with-some-of-your-favorite-fla...

Thank you! I appreciate your finding it for me.

Yes, I used fresh broccoli. In fact I looked at it while it was cooking and it looked so green - I should have taken it out of the oven then. But it had more than 10 minutes to cook according to the recipe.

Honored Contributor

Sunshine45

I can't believe it. The portions I used for the sauce is exactly what the recipe called for. I was going by the pictures and the size of the container.

Except for the burnt broccoli - everyone liked it. My son really liked the sauce.

Thanks again for the entire recipe.

Honored Contributor

I found 12 Tomatoes on Facebook and have made many, many very good, tasty meals from their recipes! I highly recommend!

"Pure Michigan"