Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes for Your Fourth of July Bash

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

We're going to a cook out on Sunday afternoon and I'll be gone and/or busy all day Saturday so I'm either bringing potato or pasta salad from the deli or I might whip up my baked beans and bake them Sunday after I get home from church.  I love the Capresi Flag Salad but nobody in my family would eat that except for me.

@shoptilyadropagain - now I'm REALLY craving Baked Beans. I'm going to try the Root Beer recipe that I posted. 

Can you share your Baked Bean recipe? 

Oh no @Chi-town girl …..I don’t have really have a recipe as I just eyeball things and throw it in.  I use a 9 x 13 pan and buy Bush’s Homestyle Baked Beans.  I’m not even sure how many….probably 2 – 3 of the 28 oz. cans.

I drain my cans and get rid of that bacon chunk that’s included.  I pour the beans into the 9 x 13 pan that’s been sprayed with Pam.  In a skillet, I add a tablespoon of olive oil and cut up about 4 or 5 slices of bacon into about ½ “ pieces.  Brown those really well, then remove the bacon.  In the bacon grease, sauté about ½ of a chopped large white onion until tender.  Pour that mixture on top of the beans.  I then add ½ - 1 cup of Ketchup, about ½ cup of brown sugar, about 1 T of yellow mustard and 1 T of Worcestershire Sauce. I normally don’t add any S&P but sometimes I’ll add in a few grinds from my Peppermill.  Mix all that together and then bake at 350 for approx. 1  to 1.5 hours.   I prefer my beans firm (rather than loose) but not so much that they’re dry.  Right before serving, I sprinkle the crispy bacon pieces on top.

Thank you @shoptilyadropagain - I have not made baked beans from scratch using dry beans. Really do not want to use my oven but I don't want it to be soupy via crockpot cooking method. I'm going to do more research on how best to convert the oven method to crockpot.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri