Honored Contributor

Recipes for Your Fourth of July Bash

Preparing my menu/shopping list for 2 events next weekend: a get together at home and an outing to see the fireworks 

Please share your favorite July 4th menu/recipes 

This is a caprese salad (the blue block is made with small purple potatoes)

D16C71A4-69F7-426E-AD7A-DEA529A53FCC.jpeg

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes for Your Fourth of July Bash

I'm going to make a big batch of baked beans in the large crock pot

Root Beer Baked Beans

792274F9-CF2F-408D-8158-3BE46E1F9559.jpeg

YIELDS: 8 servings
PREP TIME: 0 hours 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 4 hours 30 mins
INGREDIENTS

slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
large yellow onion, chopped

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/3 c.molasses
2 tbsp.whole-grain mustard
1 lb.dried navy beans, soaked overnight
1(12-ounce) bottle root beer
2 tsp.apple cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mostly crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in molasses and mustard. 
  2. Drain soaked beans and add to the pot, stirring to coat. Add root beer and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add 4 cups water and season with salt and pepper. Return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and continue to bake until the cooking liquid is reduced and a light crust has formed on the top, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir in vinegar. Let cool slightly before serving.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Giada's Peach or Nectarine Burrata

1A696F97-6A39-47A2-A188-713AD16B1D2D.jpeg

During that short period when both nectarines and corn are in season at the same time, I make this almost every day. Sometimes the corn is so sweet I don’t even cook it; otherwise I grill it briefly to bring the sugars to the surface. It’s a casual, family-style starter, but honestly, I like it so much I’d make it my lunch and dinner! It’s everything I love about summer food.

Burrata With Nectarines And Corn

Serves:  4 people

Prep Time 10Minutes
Cook Time 5Minutes

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 small ripe nectarines cut into wedges
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 fresh Fresno or serrano chile thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil plus more as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 8 slices from a rustic Italian loaf
  • 4 ears of corn shucked and silk removed
  • 8 ounces fresh burrata drained and patted dry
  • 1/2 teaspoon flake salt such as Maldon

INSTRUCTIONS:

• In a medium bowl, combine the peaches, basil, chile, vinegar, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and the kosher salt, and combine gently. Set aside and let the mixture marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
  • Heat a stovetop grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the bread slices with oil and grill until lightly marked on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Add the corn to the pan and grill on all sides until warmed with a few charred spots. Use a sharp knife to slice the kernels off the cobs and add them to the bowl with the nectarines.
  • To serve, spoon the peach mixture onto a platter. Tear the burrata into 8 to 12 good-size pieces and arrange them over the salad. Sprinkle the flake salt evenly over the cheese and drizzle the cheese with a little extra olive oil. Serve with the grilled bread

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl ....interesting Caprese Salad!🇺🇸  I'll add my Flag 🇺🇸 Cake next to it!  Or sometimes I make those individual cream cheese desserts topping some with Cherry Pie filling (or fresh strawberries) and some with Blueberry Pie filling (or fresh)...then put a miniature flag on each.  I seem to start with desserts first.😂  Guess I better give some thought to main course....something on grill sounds good with baked beans.

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl - These all look wonderful, and I will try them all this summer. We are going to a welcome party next weekend, so I might make the "flag," even though they told me not to bring anything (I asked.). If I don't make it right away I will make it later. Great recipes!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

@Chi-town girl ....interesting Caprese Salad!🇺🇸  I'll add my Flag 🇺🇸 Cake next to it!  Or sometimes I make those individual cream cheese desserts topping some with Cherry Pie filling (or fresh strawberries) and some with Blueberry Pie filling (or fresh)...then put a miniature flag on each.  I seem to start with desserts first.😂  Guess I better give some thought to main course....something on grill sounds good with baked beans.

@beach-mom  - thank you for sharing! I hope you have a WONDERFUL family get together - stay safe and have fun ❤️

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl 

I am not sure about the   Burrata With Nectarines And Corn.

But the more I think about it. I don't see why nectarines and corn and cheese wouldn't work. I want to give it a try. It just looks so good.

Esteemed Contributor

We're going to a cook out on Sunday afternoon and I'll be gone and/or busy all day Saturday so I'm either bringing potato or pasta salad from the deli or I might whip up my baked beans and bake them Sunday after I get home from church.  I love the Capresi Flag Salad but nobody in my family would eat that except for me.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

We're going to a cook out on Sunday afternoon and I'll be gone and/or busy all day Saturday so I'm either bringing potato or pasta salad from the deli or I might whip up my baked beans and bake them Sunday after I get home from church.  I love the Capresi Flag Salad but nobody in my family would eat that except for me.

@shoptilyadropagain - now I'm REALLY craving Baked Beans. I'm going to try the Root Beer recipe that I posted. 

Can you share your Baked Bean recipe? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain - now I'm REALLY craving Baked Beans. I'm going to try the Root Beer recipe that I posted. 

Can you share your Baked Bean recipe? 

Oh no @Chi-town girl …..I don’t have really have a recipe as I just eyeball things and throw it in.  I use a 9 x 13 pan and buy Bush’s Homestyle Baked Beans.  I’m not even sure how many….probably 2 – 3 of the 28 oz. cans.

I drain my cans and get rid of that bacon chunk that’s included.  I pour the beans into the 9 x 13 pan that’s been sprayed with Pam.  In a skillet, I add a tablespoon of olive oil and cut up about 4 or 5 slices of bacon into about ½ “ pieces.  Brown those really well, then remove the bacon.  In the bacon grease, sauté about ½ of a chopped large white onion until tender.  Pour that mixture on top of the beans.  I then add ½ - 1 cup of Ketchup, about ½ cup of brown sugar, about 1 T of yellow mustard and 1 T of Worcestershire Sauce. I normally don’t add any S&P but sometimes I’ll add in a few grinds from my Peppermill.  Mix all that together and then bake at 350 for approx. 1  to 1.5 hours.   I prefer my beans firm (rather than loose) but not so much that they’re dry.  Right before serving, I sprinkle the crispy bacon pieces on top.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown