Honored Contributor

Re: Recipes for Fresh Peaches

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the link. We bought a case of peaches last weekend. I have been eating them every day for breakfast or lunch. I paid $35 for a case of 54 peaches or about .65¢ each. Peaches from Colorado will be here Weds. I'm going to buy at least 2 cases. I need to cut some up & freeze to use during the winter. I also need to make some peach jam.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Make some peach jam & make this recipe. It's really good. I have made it in the oven & DH has made in on the grill. YUM!!! This one was made on the grill. 

Boneless Pork Loin With Honey-Peach Glaze

Serve this flavorful pork loin with potatoes and a green vegetable or salad, or your family's favorite side dishes. The leftover sliced pork makes delicious sandwiches, too.

Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

•1 cup peach preserves
•2 tablespoons honey
•Juice of 1 small lemon
•1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 pounds
•Salt and pepper, to

Preparation:

In a medium saucepan, combine the peach preserves, honey, and lemon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Set aside.

Heat oven to 350°. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with foil.

Sprinkle the pork roast with salt and pepper. Place the roast, fat side up, in the prepared pan. Roast for 1 hour.

Brush the roast all over with the peach glaze mixture. Continue roasting for about 30 to 40 minutes, brushing with glaze frequently.

A meat thermometer should read 160° when inserted in the center of the roast.

Serves 6 to 8
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  Thank you for the pork recipe--it looks really good.  Here's another one, using chicken, that we just had.  I can recommend it, although, for the two of us, I cut the recipe down to a third (except for the sliced peaches), and still had plenty of sauce.

Peach Whiskey Chicken

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
12 chicken legs or thighs, bone in, skin on
1 onion, diced
1 ½ cup whiskey
4 cups bbq sauce
1 cup peach preserves
2 Tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
4 peaches, pitted, sliced

Mashed potatoes for serving

Oven to 300.

Heat butter & oil in Dutch oven. Brown chicken till golden. Remove, set aside.

Add onions, cook till translucent. Pour in whisky. Cook about 3 minutes, allowing to reduce a little.

Add favorite BBQ sauce. Add peach preserves, Worcestershire, ½ cup water. Add back chicken, then peach slices.

Cover, roast in oven about 1 ½ hours.

Note: The sauce is quite thin—you could thicken at the end, if you want, but we liked it as is over potatoes.

Edited to add:  I forgot to mention I also decreased the oven temperature to 250º for an hour, then raised it to 300º for the last 30 minutes or so. The chicken meat was very moist.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Nightowlz  Thank you for the pork recipe--it looks really good.  Here's another one, using chicken, that we just had.  I can recommend it, although, for the two of us, I cut the recipe down to a third (except for the sliced peaches), and still had plenty of sauce.

Peach Whiskey Chicken

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
12 chicken legs or thighs, bone in, skin on
1 onion, diced
1 ½ cup whiskey
4 cups bbq sauce
1 cup peach preserves
2 Tablespoons  Worcestershire sauce
4 peaches, pitted, sliced

Mashed potatoes for serving

Oven to 300.

Heat butter & oil in Dutch oven. Brown chicken till golden. Remove, set aside.

Add onions, cook till translucent. Pour in whisky. Cook about 3 minutes, allowing to reduce a little.

Add favorite BBQ sauce. Add peach preserves, Worcestershire, ½ cup water. Add back chicken, then peach slices.

Cover, roast in oven about 1 ½ hours.

Note: The sauce is quite thin—you could thicken at the end, if you want, but we liked it as is over potatoes.

Edited to add:  I forgot to mention I also decreased the oven temperature to 250º for an hour, then raised it to 300º for the last 30 minutes or so. The chicken meat was very moist.

Thank you. I will have to try this. I have chicken on my grocery list. I only have 2 chicken breasts left in the freezer. Want to make the coconut chicken recipe that CatLover posted on the forums. DH likes Bourbon Chicken like they have in the Mall so I make it a lot. Finally found a recipe online that we both like & it's easy to make. 

Valued Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

Thank you for the website link. I love fresh juicy peaches.  Unfortunately I bought some Georgia peaches a few days ago and all of them were dry and pithy.  Had to throw them away.  They sure looked good on the outside!

Ooh, I hate to hear this--what a disappointment that must have been!  DH and I were planning to load up on Georgia peaches in just a few days.  I wonder if it was a bad Summer for them?  

I have bought Georgia peaches 3 times this year and they are some of the best I have ever had!  Made peach jam & put some in the freezer from the second batch I bought and I will b making more peach jam tomorrow!!

I had some fresh Georgia peaches at night, sliced with a little Splenda added...so good!!

Honored Contributor

I, too, love peaches sooooooo much!  To me, peaches smell better than ANYTHING.

You could make some ice pops.  I get these Dreyer's brand (Edy's in the east) peach flavored ones and love them.  Seems like they would be easy to make if you have the ice pop containers.  I got mine at Amazon a few years back and have made a few different varieties with fresh fruit. 

Haven't made peach yet because I seldom get a bunch of peaches and the Dreyer's ones are so good (I think they are called Outshine or something like that now).

Trusted Contributor

I just like to eat them plain. Today, I finished freezing a half bushel of Michigan peaches. They were so good, I wish I had more. A friend drives to Michigan to get them and brings some back for anyone who asks him. The peaches I have purchased at the groceries have also been good this year. Now that all of my peaches are frozen, I need to go buy more.

Now I want to try some of these recipes.

Valued Contributor

Debcakes, How did you freeze your peaches? I am thinking about buying some at Giant Eagle today (.99 per lb) and would like to know what you put them in, and if you added anything to them- also, I hope you don't have to peel them (but I think I know the answer to that one, lol). 

I am wondering if .99 per lb translates into around the same price as when you purchase them by the bushel. Thanks, in advance.