Esteemed Contributor

@janeecSomeone knew exactly what she made and obviously did it often! 

How did you figure out the amount of Flour? My guess would be 1 Cup. Is that about right? I'd figure out the eggshell of milk with a couple of tries (and the texture), but that a unique way of measurement! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

This one’s easy for me.  It’s when a recipe calls for two stocks of celery when they actually mean two ribs of celery.  

Esteemed Contributor

I do not mind imprecise recipes. Some experience with cooking and baking can usually overcome things that are  vague in a recipe.

But, that eggshell of milk? Is that a cracked egg or a whole one? The solution - throw in some milk and adjust the consistency to your liking.

The lard? Sounds to be about a 1/4 cup - add some lard!

How about season to taste. To me, this applies to all the seasonings out there, not just S & P.

I use to collect cookbooks, but I rarely consult them now. Those church or community cookbooks, though, are real regional treasures!

Super Contributor

I cracked my egg, then used the larger "half" of the eggshell to measure the milk.  Then, as my grandfather taught me, I added a splash "for the pot."  I never measured the flour, just add a bit at a time until the right consistency, and the salt was a healthy pinch.  It is instinct.

Honored Contributor

I have an Amish cookbook around here somewhere.  One priceless recipe gives a list of ingredients and then one word of directions: Bake. 

Esteemed Contributor

I asked my roommate years ago, "At what temp do you bake cornbread?" 

She replied, "I don't know, we had a wood stove and you just put 2 logs in and fired her up!"

Honored Contributor

I prefer a breakdown of ingredient - for example of you use 1 cup of flour total but you need 3/4 cup the batter and 1/4 for the filling - list it separately. 

I once was measuring out ingredients as I went along only realizing that I added all the flour and not partial. grrr can't dig it out

Honored Contributor

My mom has done things by feel and no measuring. One day I decided to write it down - her cupful was placed in a measuring cup for extract meaurements. She thought it was ridiculous as she never did. She also said feel - what am I feeling? You will know...

I don't know and guess never will. I tried it and it was NOT the same in any sense of the wordl. Do you think she left out an indredient? lol

Respected Contributor

TO BIRKILADY:

Yes, I collect cookbooks - or use to until it came down to buying a larger house to store them -or stop buying them.  Once in a while, I 'try' to weed some out...yea, that's not working very well.

Esteemed Contributor

@janeec wrote:

I was given a recipe from my grandmother for PA  Dutch Pot Pie.  The whole thing is interesting.  Chicken, celery, a small amount of  carrots, potatoes  and chopped onion.  Parsley optional.  Cook.  Noodles are 1 egg, 1 eggshell of milk, flour and salt.  Mix, roll, cut, and dry.  Add noodles, simmer.

That is the recipe.  Ever try to figure out what 1 eggshell of milk is?  Trial and error all the way. But I have learned, and the family loves it.

@janeec I have a few noodle recipes that call for an eggshell of water or milk. My Dutchy cousin told me it was a half eggshell. Most of my recipes, however, list the amount of flour. These noodles are sometimes referred to as "slippery noodles." Your basic slippery noodle pot pie calls for you cooking the chicken with carrots, celery and onion, pulling off the meat and returning it to the pot. Then you add the thinly sliced potatoes and noodles and cook for 20 minutes. At the end you add parsley and maybe chopped hard boiled eggs.