Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

i do collect cookbooks.....some were my moms, some are mine, some were won, some were found on bargain bin tables, some were gifted to me. i cannot seem to stop buying them, even with access to so many recipes for free on the internet. my favorites to collect are soup cookbooks, appetizer cookbooks, sauce cookbooks, and some ethnic cookbooks (mostly persian). of course i have an extensive collection of recipes on my pinterest page also.  love my handwritten hand me down recipe cards from my mom and some of her friends and family.

i also have lots of subscriptions to cooking magazines.

my most favorite probably is probably an old set from my mom called the encyclopedia of cookery (published by womans day.)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b6/c9/68/b6c968474431b5ec592b49b0fc2c39cf.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have amassed a collection of cookbooks from local churches and ladies' service clubs over the years.  Most were sold to support a charitable cause.

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe "pet peeve!"

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

Do you ever try to follow a recipe that doesn't give enough information?

Examples:
1 box Jello
1 Tablespoon relish
1 can milk, corn, beans, etc!
1 tub Cool Whip

Maybe Jello was only one size when the recipe was written but today, sizes are so helpful.

Care to give some examples you have found in your recipes?

Here's what a bonehead I am - Somehow my brain saw that list as a recipe and I thought - wo, that's like the worst recipe I've ever seen, so lots of pet peeves there!  Smiley Very Happy

I think my only peeve about recipes would be incomplete instructions, or when somebody purposely leaves out one ingredient.   I haven't experienced that but I've heard about it in the vein that somebody didn't really want to share their recipe, so they sabotaged it, giving it to somebody, instead of just declining.

Esteemed Contributor

I get confused when the recipe calls for a can of creamed soup. Like a can of cream of mushroom soup. Do you also add a can of milk to thin it out like if you were  going to eat the soup itself or just the can of thick soup, no milk added.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt I've heard stories about people leaving out ingredients, etc. Here is mine. My SIL couldn't figure out why my apple pie was better than hers. We both used my Mom's recipe. When I found out that she used red delicious apples instead of MacIntosh, I knew that was it. She swore my Mom had told her red delicious. We'll never know, but my Mom would NEVER have used red delicious. Hmmm...

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl  ME TOO.  I have to re-read the danged recipe a few times to see if the liquid is hiding somewhere else in it, Then consider how thick the finished dish should be.  A lot of the time it ends up being the un-diluted soup but I always have to double check it!

Esteemed Contributor

I love the "can of milk"....I had a recipe that looked good, but I couldn't figure out whether it was condensed milk or evaporated milk - or what size can! I gave up and didn't even try the recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

Another thing that I personally do not like is that the ingredients do not get listed in the recipe in the same order they are used to make it!

And who/what defines, small, medium or large?

Super Contributor

I was given a recipe from my grandmother for PA  Dutch Pot Pie.  The whole thing is interesting.  Chicken, celery, a small amount of  carrots, potatoes  and chopped onion.  Parsley optional.  Cook.  Noodles are 1 egg, 1 eggshell of milk, flour and salt.  Mix, roll, cut, and dry.  Add noodles, simmer.

That is the recipe.  Ever try to figure out what 1 eggshell of milk is?  Trial and error all the way. But I have learned, and the family loves it.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1"A can of milk." Calling mom didn't help with that one; my parents hated casseroles! I was willing to try them in the first few years of marriage. Smiley Happy  It was a constant source of frustration for me in many Church cookbooks that I amassed over those years. I was a married Uni. student working for a printing company and often set the type for cookbooks (among other things), which was so much fun!

Money screams; wealth whispers.