Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

I have a lot of old cookbooks, so need to rely on the internet or conversion charts for some of the old measurments like the previously mentioned can sizes. 

The one that makes me cringe every time is when a recipe says season "to taste" for a mixture that is still uncooked. Specifically a raw batter or raw meatball/meatloaf or rub mixture. How the heck am I supposed to know what "to taste" is when I have a big blop bacteria-filled raw goo?  Sorry, but I'm not going in for a taste until it's all cooked and takes the form of yummy food, LOL.  I just have to wing it with the seasoning before that and hope for the best.

@Anita Hug

do you think they meant taste the BBQ sauce? and not the marinated meat?

I always taste my raw cookie dough - cause if it taste good raw, chances are it will be fine when baked. If I try a new cookie that was soso - baked goods were also soso

Super Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

@Anita Hug wrote:

I have a lot of old cookbooks, so need to rely on the internet or conversion charts for some of the old measurments like the previously mentioned can sizes. 

The one that makes me cringe every time is when a recipe says season "to taste" for a mixture that is still uncooked. Specifically a raw batter or raw meatball/meatloaf or rub mixture. How the heck am I supposed to know what "to taste" is when I have a big blop bacteria-filled raw goo?  Sorry, but I'm not going in for a taste until it's all cooked and takes the form of yummy food, LOL.  I just have to wing it with the seasoning before that and hope for the best.

@Anita Hug

do you think they meant taste the BBQ sauce? and not the marinated meat?

I always taste my raw cookie dough - cause if it taste good raw, chances are it will be fine when baked. If I try a new cookie that was soso - baked goods were also soso

No, I'm not talking about marinades or sauces. Those I don't mind tasting uncooked. I mean when tthey say "salt and pepper to taste" in the part of a recipe where you are combining raw meat and dry ingredients, for example. Like for meatballs when you mix the meat and breadcrumbs and spices, and the recipe will say "to taste". Drives me batty. I'm not going to taste a raw meatball/loaf mixture, lol.   

I'm a bit leery about tasting things containing raw eggs, so I wouldn't taste a raw cookie dough either, but thankfully I haven't seen the "to taste" thing on a cookie recipe, lol.  I have seen it in fry batter recipes tho and i'm not going to taste that either. It's probably fine in most cases, but I've had salmonella in the past, and don't care to get it again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

No, I'm not talking about marinades or sauces. Those I don't mind tasting uncooked. I mean when tthey say "salt and pepper to taste" in the part of a recipe where you are combining raw meat and dry ingredients, for example. Like for meatballs when you mix the meat and breadcrumbs and spices, and the recipe will say "to taste". Drives me batty. I'm not going to taste a raw meatball/loaf mixture, lol.   

I'm a bit leery about tasting things containing raw eggs, so I wouldn't taste a raw cookie dough either, but thankfully I haven't seen the "to taste" thing on a cookie recipe, lol.  I have seen it in fry batter recipes tho and i'm not going to taste that either. It's probably fine in most cases, but I've had salmonella in the past, and don't care to get it again!

I don't mind the phrase, "to taste" with S&P. To me it means however much or little you want.

I like how Ina's  salt & pepper formula is always 2 - 1. But I like black pepper, so I never adhere to anybody's formula w/ S&P.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for a most interesting thread.  If you run across any more "weird" ingredients or instructions, please come back and post them.  I have really enjoyed reading your post!

Respected Contributor

Yes it is I was just checking . Good Job !!

Respected Contributor

Season the meat to what would taste good to you. My suggestion is to have a small frying pan and put a little bit of meat in a few small bowls and add different seasongs to each bowl with a tiny  amount of the meat and make little meatballs of the meat fry one at a time, now this works only with ground meat to see what  you preference would be. In most cases get a small bottle of mixed spices in it. Or just go with onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper and sprinkle very lightly. On chops, chicken, steak the same well just sprinkle lightly. Do this until you reach you liking.Or your ground meat. Chili powder is also another flavor that is good on most everything. I hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

If you want to eat raw cookie dough safely, then use egg beaters or applesauce in place of the fresh egg. Raw cookie dough can make you very sick.

Honored Contributor

Great advice, Becca!

I think, for new cooks, it might seem confusing but you can be sure that, as you gain experience, you'll be able to tell how much seasoning will reflect your preference, even with something you cannot taste.   

I started out at 6 years old and there were some mess ups for which the other kids took me to task for years.   But, by the time I was an adult I had a pretty good handle on it. 

It's easier than it might seem, initially.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

So true @chickenbutt.  That is why I follow the recipe the first time!  

also, you can always add salt and pepper, but you can't always remove it. 

I think you get used to things like 1 lb ground beef = 1 tsp salt (not exact, just typing) after cooking for a while.

Other spices are not so easy for me because I don't use them that much.  I always start with less if I am not sure.  You would still get the basic flavor!