Honored Contributor

Recipe ingredient replacement

Before the frost the other night my son picked the jalapeno peppers that were still on the plants.

I said I would use them in a dinner. Well, looking at recipes, I thought I would try Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers. Of course I think of looking for a recipe AFTER I came back from the grocery. I need 1/2 cup of Blue Cheese crumbs. I have about 1/4 cup for Blue Cheese crumbs. But I have plenty of Feta Cheese crumbs, 4 Cheese crumbs and Parmensan crumbs.

Do you think I could use the Feta Cheese crumbs? Or would it be better to just be a bit light on the Blue Cheese?

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe ingredient replacement

I think the feta sounds tasty.

Trusted Contributor

You are only short 1/4 of a cup. Mix the Blue Cheese crumbs with the 4 cheese crumbs and I think it would be fine.

I wouldn't mix Feta and Blue Cheese, they are both strong tastes. But 4 cheese crumbs might pick up the blue cheese flavor. That is what I would do.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Before the frost the other night my son picked the jalapeno peppers that were still on the plants.

I said I would use them in a dinner. Well, looking at recipes, I thought I would try Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers. Of course I think of looking for a recipe AFTER I came back from the grocery. I need 1/2 cup of Blue Cheese crumbs. I have about 1/4 cup for Blue Cheese crumbs. But I have plenty of Feta Cheese crumbs, 4 Cheese crumbs and Parmensan crumbs.

Do you think I could use the Feta Cheese crumbs? Or would it be better to just be a bit light on the Blue Cheese?

If the permesean is high quality, with strong flavor, use that. If it’s just the ho-hum stuff that’s less piquant, then don’t use it. You want to use which ever cheese has the tangy, slightly acidic taste most similar to your blue cheese. Otherwise, just use the blue cheese.

Honored Contributor

I'd use the feta.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks so much for your input.

And what varied opinions.

SO - I decided to use a bit of each of the cheeses, I have to make it 1/2 cup. And we will see what happens. I have had failures before. And won't know if I made the right decision until I try.

And yes the Parmesan cheese is high quality. My son and husband frequently try a recipe from Cook's Country or Milk Street magazines. So they end up going to the local International Market for ingredients for the recipe. That is how the refrigerator is filled with duplicates of the same food items.