Respected Contributor

Re: Recipe for potatoes for a crowd of 50

Google Hasselback potatoes.

Respected Contributor

@gillsburg 

I like the idea of getting all fancy with a yukon gold recipe but

for seniors you have needs to look at...

1) potatoes are sugar for seniors  who have diabetic issues.

2) yukon gold is probably the best buttery potato out there

3) adding cheese and salt is a whole another subject with some dietary needs

given the 3, I actually would boil and mash with real butter, plain and simple.   Have a side bowl of cheese or/and chive they can sprinkle on top.

Just plain and simple.

Put them in aluminum container and keep hot in one of your roasters.

Respected Contributor

Look up Roasted Potatoes for a Large Group at Aloha Dreams (dot com).  I just came across it.  Its for 50 people, uses Yukon gold potatoes, no peeling and very simple.  I certainly would enjoy if served to me.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how many potatoes you have to use up.  But, this recipe could be made in separate batches...and frozen to use later....or fix, bake and eat. Or fix mashed potatoes in batches and keep warm in your roaster.   Recipe is from Taste of Home Freezer Pleasers.

Rich Mashed Potatoes

5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed

5 tablespoons butter, divided

1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, cubed

1 cup (8oz) sour cream

2 teaspoons onion salt

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Place potatoes in large pan and cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.  Drain.  Mash potatoes with 3 tablespoons butter.  Stir in cream cheese, sour cream, onion salt, garlic powder and pepper until smooth.

Spoon into a greased 13x9" baking dish.  Melt remaining butter; drizzle over top.  Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.

To freeze....after preparing,  cover and freeze up to one month.  Thaw in refrigerator before baking.

Esteemed Contributor

For the 50 people you are going to serve, I'd keep it simple and tasty .

Yukon potatoes with skins on  are very tasty with olive oil  & rosemary . Wash and just cut in half  , then roast in an oven . Easy and goes with everything.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 @ KatCat1@Allegheny....good suggestions...simple and tasty!  Can't beat mashed potatoes but your suggestions are even easier.

Honored Contributor

For old people I'd keep it simple, lower fat and no cheese.  I also wouldn't use much if any olive oil--some of the older folks I know are turned off by that.

Maybe some baked potato halves or quarters even if they are larger and let them dress their own?  Potatoes are not the star of the meal I assume, so don't sweat it!  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to suggest baked potato halves or quarters, and then I read @Sooner's  comment....my sentiment exactly! Making casseroles for 50 people is a lot of work, plus the expense of the other ingredients. And I can't imagine mashing that many potatoes! Honestly, most people like baked potatoes, and giving them a few choices for toppings might be something most of them would enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I would make large pans of mashed potatoes with chives, butter, and sour cream.  Put cheddar on top.

Each tray can be easily warmed.

No bacon, too many have high blood pressure.

I have cooked for banquets.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Look up Roasted Potatoes for a Large Group at Aloha Dreams (dot com).  I just came across it.  Its for 50 people, uses Yukon gold potatoes, no peeling and very simple.  I certainly would enjoy if served to me.

Thanks for pointing me in the directions of Aloha Dreams!  I have never heard of that site --and I live on Pinterest Smiley Happy, so you'd think I would have run into them some time!

These potatoes sound good and I love a quick recipe.  Lots of good recipes on this site.  Thanks!