Frequent Contributor

Recipe for potatoes for a crowd of 50

I help cook a meal every week for seniors at our church. We have some Yukon gold potatoes that have been donated to us. How would you prepare these for a crowd of 50. I have an oven and 18 quart roasters. Thanks for your help. Have a blessed day 

Respected Contributor

Re: Recipe for potatoes for a crowd of 50

My first thought is scalloped potatoes. 

Respected Contributor

Mashed potatoes with skins.

Honored Contributor

In hot weather how about a simple potato salad, made with cut up boiled potatoes, a little pickle relish, a dab of mustard, a few pimentoes, and mayonnaise.  Maybe also boiled eggs if you like them.

Easy, no chopping except the potatoes, and cold and good in the hot weather.  Also can be made ahead and chilled without heated for serving. 

Esteemed Contributor

this is a recipe my MIL used to make for church suppers....think that's how the recipe got its name......google 'funeral potatoes.'  it's a great recipe....but wish someone would change the name!!

Honored Contributor

I don't like to use canned anything...but this recipe is SO easy...no way I am peeling  chopping pots for 50 ppl!  You could make a couple pans of this. very easy to make ahead and bake later.

I have had it with crushed chips layered on top with a little melted better (add the last 5 mins of baking)

I have heard ppl used Ritz also, but I prefer the lighter Lays than a heavy cracker.

Ingredients

• 1 package (about 30 ounces) frozen hash brown potatoes *the little cubed cut, not shredded, Obrien is nice for a change also
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces) (amount divided in recipe steps below)
  • 1 container (16 ounces) sour cream
  • 2 cans (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Potato Soup (or try Cream of Mushroom instead!)
  • 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

•  
  • Tips
    • Prep ahead and bake later! Assemble as directed but do not bake (reserve remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese for topping).  Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.  To bake, heat the oven to 350°F.  Bake, covered, for 45 minutes.  Sprinkle with the reserved Cheddar cheese and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes more or until hot.
  • Step 1

Heat the oven to 400°F.  While the oven is heating, spray a 13x9x2-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.

• Step 2

Stir the frozen potatoes (break up any large clumps first), half the Cheddar cheese, the sour cream, soup, onion and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Spread the potato mixture in the baking dish. Cover the baking dish.

• Step 3

Bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover the baking dish.  Sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar cheese.

• Step 4

Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned.

Honored Contributor

@gillsburg    I would wash the potatoes and cut/slice  into 1/3 in. rounds.  Spread a little virgin olive oil on them with sprinkle with a little salt, pepper and rosemary and bake.   Easy and delicious.  Bake at 350 or 400 for 30 minutes.  Check frequently for tenderness.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Mashed potatoes with skins.

@gillsburg   I agree with @kitcat51.  Keeping it simple is much better for a crowd. Most everyone likes mashed potatoes.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

this is a recipe my MIL used to make for church suppers....think that's how the recipe got its name......google 'funeral potatoes.'  it's a great recipe....but wish someone would change the name!!

@nana59 

"Funeral Potatoes" uses shredded potatoes, who wants to do all that shredding....not me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@nana59 

"Funeral Potatoes" uses shredded potatoes, who wants to do all that shredding....not me!

i think working with potatoes is a lot of work.....whether you peel....shred....mash....cube or slice!