Respected Contributor

Recipe for Pecan Fruitcake from North Carolina

Several years ago, I had a fruitcake that was almost entirely made with pecans (I think) that was from a town in central North Carolina. Has anyone had the fruitcake I am describing? Do you know the name of the company that makes it?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for a fruitcake like this? I'd like to make one and adapt it to reduce the sugar/carbs.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Not applicable

Re: Recipe for Pecan Fruitcake from North Carolina

You may be looking for the fruitcake from Southern Supreme, based in NC? Hope that helps!
Esteemed Contributor

You state ""fruitcake"" made entirely of pecans. Is it a flourless cake with pecans or is it a fruitcake with just pecans for the nuts? Both are available online. I will post if you want.

Trusted Contributor

I'd also be interested in those recipes. TIA

Super Contributor

You had the NC Southern Supreme fruitcake. They sell their fruitcakes (and other goodies) on their website, southernsupreme dot com. There is a founder's cookbook for sale on the site, but it doesn't indicate whether or not it includes the fruitcake recipe.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/6/2014 gonnab said:

I'd also be interested in those recipes. TIA

Kayla's Southern Pecan Mist Cake

"Ground pecans, not flour, are the base for this delicious sponge cake. Sprinkle the finished cake with a little powdered sugar or ice it with whipped cream mixed with a little coffee."

Ingredients:

12 egg yolks
12 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 1/8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
3 cups ground pecans

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line the bottom of a 10 inch tube pan with parchment paper (do not grease the paper). Separate eggs while cold, but let them come to room temperature before making the cake.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. In another bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar to egg whites and continue to beat until stiff, but not dry. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the yolks, then fold in the remaining whites. Gently fold ground pecans into egg mixture.

3. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean and the top of the cake is light brown. Remove from oven and invert pan to cool. Cool cake completely before removing from pan.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the recipe, but it's isn't really what I'm looking for. The one I'd like is more of a fruit cake - has whole pecans and candied cherries. I had this recipe years ago and now I can't find it!

Esteemed Contributor

I found several flourless pecan cakes online. You might find what you are looking for

Respected Contributor

It is Southern Supreme in Bear Creek, NC.. Telephone number is 1-877-815-0922 or 336-581-3141. The will not give out the recipe for this cake so I doubt it's in the cookbook... My mother used to make a fruitcake that tasted similar to their fruitcake. I will post it if I can find the recipe.

KatieB

Respected Contributor

This is one of the most unusual recipes I have ever made. My friend Debbie, let me try it and I had to have the recipe. I didn't even like fruitcake, and this is the only one I will make or eat. JJ

Stirring Fruitcake Recipe

1 pound of butter, let set out to soften some

2 cups sugar

6 eggs

4 cups self-rising flour

1 teaspoon of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice

1 pound of candied cherries, rough chopped (red or green or some of both)

1 pound of candied pineapple, rough chopped

12 oz box of raisins

6 cups of chopped pecans

½ cup orange marmalade

Preheat oven to 350*

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs and orange marmalade. In another BIG bowl add the flour, spices, fruit and nuts. Stir to coat. Add this mixture to the creamed mixture, mix well. Place the batter in the biggest roasting pan you have. My pan was 13x18.5 x 2 inches. Now for the fun part, Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, take out and stir it up good. Bake for 15 minutes, stir it real good and pack the cooked mixture in a greased tube pan. I used my potato masher to pack the cooked cake mixture in the pan. Let it set on the counter overnight. You are now ready to eat the fruitcake.

*** My Kitchen Aid 4.5 Qt wouldn't hold all the batter, I mixed what I could, then just mixed the rest of the flour, fruit, nuts by hand with a spoon in the roasting pan. The cake weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. Enjoy!!!