Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recipe Ideas For Lent Please?

[ Edited ]

This is a recipe from Taste of Home Website.  I like to add about 10 - 12 ounces of chopped Baby Bella mushrooms to give it a bit more of a stew consistency.   Another reason I like it is you dump the first 11 ingredients into the pot at the same time; no sauteing or adding ingredients as you go, except for the last three ingredients.

ETA:  I don't cook it for the recommended time either; I cook the first part for about 50 minutes and then another 20-25 after I add the last three ingredients.

Hearty Veggie Lentil Soup

Ingredients
3 cups water
3 cups vegetable broth
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
Directions
1. In a large saucepan, combine the first 11 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender.
2. Add the tomato paste, corn and peas; stir until blended. Cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until corn and peas are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts
1-1/3 cup: 228 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 566mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 15g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC