Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate

@kate2357 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

My son has a Thanksgiving dinner with friends tomorrow. He is to bring a vegetable dish.

He picked out a recipe of Brussels, Sprouts with Walnuts and Pomegranate.

It is simple ingredients Brussels sprouts, walnuts and pomegranate AND Pomegranate molasses.

We have all the ingredients except Pomegranate molasses. Will keep looking for it BUT do you think Balsamic Vinegar would work if we can't find Pomegranate molasses? Or could we use regular molasses?

I've made this using this recipe and it was excellent. It's from the site called simplyrecipes:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate-Balsamic Glaze

For the glaze:

@kate2357 Thank you for the Pomegranate Balsamic glaze recipe. I know pomegranate juice will be real easy to find. In case I don't find the pomegranate molasses. Thanks for plan B.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Of course my son has to work tomorrow so my husband and I will scout out the International Food Markets tomorrow. 

I hate this - all to drizzle on the top. Then I have another bottle taking up room in the refrigerator, never to be used again.

I wouldn't buy a  bottle just for one use,

substitute something will taste just fine sprouts and poms are very strong flavors

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla , could you please share that recipe with me or tell me where to find it? I have pomegranate molasses left from another recipe. I got mine at one of our local groceries, but I had to ask an employee to find it. Thank you, I have all of the ingredients needed for your recipe. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@debcakes wrote:

@drizzellla , could you please share that recipe with me or tell me where to find it? I have pomegranate molasses left from another recipe. I got mine at one of our local groceries, but I had to ask an employee to find it. Thank you, I have all of the ingredients needed for your recipe. 

We just finished making it. I liked it and will make it again.

The recipe was from the New York Times/recipes/1019656-brussels-sprouts-with-walnuts-and-pomegranate

I could not access it but my son did. So in case you can't access it like me - here it is

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

3 tablespoons olive oil

Kosher salt and black pepper

1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts 

2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, plus more to taste

Pomegranate molasses, for drizzling (optional)

Flaky salt, to serve

Preparation

Step 1

Heat the oven to 425 degrees. In large bowl, toss brussels sprouts with the olive oil. Season well with the salt and black pepper and toss again. Spread everything evenly on a sheet pan cut-side-down and roast until crisp and deeply golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes, flipping the sprouts halfway through to ensure even browning.

Step 2

Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently to ensure they don't burn, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Step 3

When the brussels sprouts are done roasting, toss them with the toasted walnuts and the pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with the pomegranate molasses (about 1 teaspoon or so), if using. Season with flaky salt.

I thought I followed the recipe to a T. I cooked the brussels sprouts for 15 minutes. I pulled them out of the oven to flip them. Everyone was DARK brown. Well, past golden brown. I stopped cooking them. They did not taste burnt but they looked overcooked. Didn't have time to cook another batch.

We were cooking fresh brussels spouts. There was no mention of fresh brussels sprouts or frozen in the recipe. So please check before 15 minutes and judge for yourself.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

...I thought I followed the recipe to a T. I cooked the brussels sprouts for 15 minutes. I pulled them out of the oven to flip them. Everyone was DARK brown. Well, past golden brown. I stopped cooking them. They did not taste burnt but they looked overcooked. Didn't have time to cook another batch.

We were cooking fresh brussels spouts. There was no mention of fresh brussels sprouts or frozen in the recipe. So please check before 15 minutes and judge for yourself.

Hi @drizzelllaThey didn't taste burnt because they weren't. The high temps and the olive oil help to carmelize the sprouts and tenderize them. Below are several pics of some roasted brussels sprouts.

Crispy Brussels Sprouts

Simple Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tique wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

...I thought I followed the recipe to a T. I cooked the brussels sprouts for 15 minutes. I pulled them out of the oven to flip them. Everyone was DARK brown. Well, past golden brown. I stopped cooking them. They did not taste burnt but they looked overcooked. Didn't have time to cook another batch.

Hi @drizzelllaThey didn't taste burnt because they weren't. The high temps and the olive oil help to carmelize the sprouts and tenderize them. Below are several pics of some roasted brussels sprouts.

Crispy Brussels Sprouts

Simple Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar

I wish my brussels sprouts still had some green on them. All mine looked like the third picture with the spoon. And all looked like the one one on the left middle.

My son came home with about half of the brussels sprouts, still in the dish. He said it tasted good. Might have to give the leftovers a try.

PS - I wonder why the recipe said bake for 25 to 30 miinutes. I only baked for 15 minutes and they were well cooked. Would hate to think what they would have looked like if they cooked for 25 -30 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla 

did you end up finding the pomegranate molasses?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@drizzellla 

did you end up finding the pomegranate molasses?

No - we went to 3 groceries and gave up, decided to rake leaves instead. Filled 8 trash cans and you can't tell we raked a leaf.

I s - l - o - w - l - y simmered balsamic vinegar and pomegranate juice. I cooked it for about an hour. It really was tasty.

I didn't want to have another one and done food item that would eventually get thrown out, after using a tablespoon.

Now have 2 frozen bags of brussels sprouts and one fresh bag of brussels sprouts left over. So we are going to be eating brussels sprouts again and again.

We had trouble finding fresh brussels sprouts so we bought 2 bags of frozen. Then at the 3rd grocery we found fresh so we bought 3 bags.

Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla   Thank you for the recipe. I will try it out tomorrow as a potential side for Thanksgiving. 

Honored Contributor

@debcakes 

Hope it works out for you.

The recipe calls for "1 teaspoon or so" of the pomegranate molasses. I made more than that of the balsamic vinegar and pomegranate juice glaze. I thought 1 teaspoon would have been rather stingy.

Glad you are doing a test run. Wish I had.