Honored Contributor

Recipe Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate

My son has a Thanksgiving dinner with friends tomorrow. He is to bring a vegetable dish.

He picked out a recipe of Brussels, Sprouts with Walnuts and Pomegranate.

It is simple ingredients Brussels sprouts, walnuts and pomegranate AND Pomegranate molasses.

We have all the ingredients except Pomegranate molasses. Will keep looking for it BUT do you think Balsamic Vinegar would work if we can't find Pomegranate molasses? Or could we use regular molasses?

Honored Contributor

Re: Recipe Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate

[ Edited ]

pomegranate molasses can be found in most persian, middle eastern, or mediterranean stores. it can also be found on various websites, including amazon.

if your plan is to substitute balsamic, i would use a balsamic glaze OR reduce your balsamic vinegar by slowly simmering it on the stove. it will have the consistency more of pomegranate molasses. raspberry vinegar glaze might be good also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

pomegranate molasses can be found in most persian, middle eastern, or mediterranean stores. it can also be found on various websites, including amazon.

if your plan is to substitute balsamic, i would use a balsamic glaze OR reduce your balsamic vinegar by slowly simmering it on the stove. it will have the consistency more of pomegranate molasses. raspberry vinegar glaze might be good also.

@sunshine45 @drizzellla 

I agree.  You would need to reduce the balsamic vinegar by slowly, slowly, slowly simmering to give it the consistency of molasses.  I might opt for the Raspberry vinegar glaze.  Reducing might take a significant amount of time. 

Honored Contributor

I think the balsamic will too acidic against the pomegranates, you could add some of the juice perhaps

Honored Contributor

Of course my son has to work tomorrow so my husband and I will scout out the International Food Markets tomorrow. 

I hate this - all to drizzle on the top. Then I have another bottle taking up room in the refrigerator, never to be used again.

Honored Contributor

sorry @drizzellla .....if you were a neighbor i could have easily brought some over. i always have it on hand for other recipes, including a walnut and pomegranate chicken stew to serve over rice. 

you can use your extra pomegranate molasses to make a salad dressing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My son has a Thanksgiving dinner with friends tomorrow. He is to bring a vegetable dish.

He picked out a recipe of Brussels, Sprouts with Walnuts and Pomegranate.

It is simple ingredients Brussels sprouts, walnuts and pomegranate AND Pomegranate molasses.

We have all the ingredients except Pomegranate molasses. Will keep looking for it BUT do you think Balsamic Vinegar would work if we can't find Pomegranate molasses? Or could we use regular molasses?

I've made this using this recipe and it was excellent. It's from the site called simplyrecipes:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate-Balsamic Glaze

For the glaze:

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

sorry @drizzellla .....if you were a neighbor i could have easily brought some over. i always have it on hand for other recipes, including a walnut and pomegranate chicken stew to serve over rice. 

I make this for my persian husband, fesenjun!  Are you persian?

Respected Contributor

I found this recently on amazon, also like others said in an international market it can also be found. I think balsamic vinegar or even glaze is a different flavor profile, pomegranate syprup is very sweet and tangy.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

I make this for my persian husband, fesenjun!  Are you persian?

yes @spumoni99 Smiley Happy