Honored Contributor

this recipe is called Oh, My mac-n-cheese—I made this today and it turned out awful. Was dry and instead of being creamy it looked like scrambled eggs. Followed the recipe exactly and I’m not a rookie cook. Very disappointed. Maybe if I make a cheese sauce to pour over———bummer!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recent Mac-n-cheese recipe

Evaporated canned milk has more protein and will help to stop curdling .

Also cheaper cheeses with high fat can cause the problem .

Trusted Contributor

Yes, as @hopi said, it was probably the cheese that you used.  Believe me, I have made enough costly cooking errors to verify this.  But, hey, all of us have had to learn.  Don't give up, you'll do just fine.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

well maybe, but I used a block cheese and not the pre shredded. Recipe didn't state specifically what type of  cheese to use. 

Honored Contributor

Best Mac n' Cheese I have ate is Dadgum That's Good Smoker recipe. You can also make it in the oven. It's really yummy.

Four-Cheese Smoked Mac n’ Cheese

Ingredients:

1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

3 cups milk

1 (8 ounces) cream cheese, cut into large chunks

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

2 cups extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

2 cups Gouda cheese shredded

1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Load the wood tray with one small handful of wood chips and preheat the smoker to 225° F.

2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. In a medium saucepan, melt butter, and whisk flour into the butter. Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and thick. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes until thickened. Stir in cream cheese until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper.

3. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup Cheddar, 1 cup Gouda cheese, Parmesan cheese, pasta, and cream sauce. Spoon mixture into an 11 by 9 ½-inch aluminum roasting pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle top with remaining Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.

4. Place in smoker and cook 1 hour at 225° F, until brown, bubbly and delicious.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl,

I just saw this.  I posted if there is too much heat, the moisture is greatly effected.  I found that out when I turned on the broiler to brown the topping a little more.  Not needed and I lost moisture.  Your oven may be a little hot.

So very sorry.  It's a wonderful recipe.

Honored Contributor

ecbg----I did read that and maybe that is what happened. Hope you didnt think I was ragging on you for a bad recipe----maybe will try doing another batch but maybe just 1/2 the recipe and turning the temp down too.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz, Totally agree with you on that too!!!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Nightowlz, Totally agree with you on that too!!!

@qualitygal It's been a while since we have ate any so I picked up the cheeses I needed today so I can make it. Yum!!! I'm only making half a batch.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would love to have the recipe for the mac and cheese that someone makes  for some QVC's food shows.  I remember when the mimi mckenzie was selling glass trivets and glass to put over the stove grills and was using that mac and cheese as a prop.  Oh my did that look more than delicious!!!