Super Contributor

Recap October Recipe Exchange Game

I hope I haven't guessed wrong, but I assumed that Li'l Bit might not be ready to do this yet, and I was afraid if I asked, she'd do it even though she might not feel like it.

Sorry for the excessive spacing here: I consolidated the posts, but QVC expands them again. Smile These haven't been edited, but are slightly modified from the original game to save a little space - in spite of QVC. Lord knows how much space it would take if all of the extras were included. Smile

October Recipe Exchange Game

Forrestwolf

Chocoflan

12-cup capacity Bundt pan

Softened butter, to coat pan

1/4 cup cajeta or caramel sauce

For the cake:

10 tablespoons butter, room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 egg, room temperature

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

For the flan:

1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature

3 eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

For garnish:

1/4 cup cajeta or caramel sauce

1/4 cup chopped pecans

Put an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

Coat a Bundt pan with a little butter, then coat the bottom with 1/4 cup cajeta and put it in a large roasting pan. (The roasting pan will serve as a water bath during baking.)

For the cake: Add the butter and sugar to a bowl and using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, beat until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa in a medium bowl. Beat 1/3 of the flour mixture, and 1/2 of the buttermilk into the egg mixture. Repeat, ending with the flour mixture. Blend until well incorporated.

For the flan: In a blender, combine the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream cheese, eggs and vanilla. Blend on high for 30 seconds.

Scoop the cake batter into the prepared Bundt pan and spreading evenly. Slowly pour the flan mixture over the cake batter. Cover with foil and add about 1-inch of hot water to the roasting pan.

Carefully slide the pan into the oven, and bake 1 hour, until the surface of the cake is firm to the touch, or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. When cake is done, remove from the water bath and cool completely to room temperature, about 1 hour.

Invert a large, rimmed serving platter over the Bundt pan, grasp tightly together, giggle a little and flip over. Remove the pan and scrape any remaining cajeta from the pan onto the cake, garnish with chopped pecans and serve!

Cook's Notes: The batters may appear to mix when you pour them into the pan, but they completely separate while baking, with the flan ending up on the bottom when it's inverted. I like eating it warm, but traditionally, it is chilled 24 hours before serving.

Flan is a rich, creamy, cooked egg custard. It is often flavored with vanilla and baked in a water bath to retain its delicacy.

Cajeta is a thick and creamy spread or paste made with caramelized sugar and milk. It is used as a desert on its own or as a topping. Also known as "dolce de leche," it is sold in many supermarkets, Latin specialty markets or online. It can be substituted with a thick caramel sauce

LoLa

No Bake Pumpkin Pie Cookies

gluten free, grain free, vegan and no added sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup chopped almonds

9-10 medjool dates

3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)

1/2 cup pumpkin (fresh or canned)

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

In a food processor, grind up the almonds, pecans, pepitas and spices. Then add in the dates and continue to pulse. Lastly add in the pumpkin and pulse until a dough starts to form. When the dough is formed, roll into balls and stick in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to firm up. I rolled mine into balls and flattened then with my palm once they had firmed up. Meadow helped me make these. It’s an easy recipe to do with your kids. I got about 10-12 balls out of my batch. Store them in the fridge or even freeze them for longer storage. Enjoy!

sue-p

Corned Beef Casserole

8 oz. pkg. noodles, spinach or regular

2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted

1 cup milk

1 cup celery, chopped fine

1 onion, chopped fine

1 cup diced sharp cheddar cheese

12 oz. can corned beef, diced

1/2 cup crushed potato chips or corn chips

Preheat oven to 350*.

Cook the noodles according to package instructions. Do not overcook - they will be cooking in the casserole for quite a while. Place in a lightly buttered casserole dish.

In a medium size bowl, mix the 2 cans of soup with the milk until smooth, then add the celery, onions, sharp cheddar cheese and the diced corned beef. Pour over the noodles and mix together.

Sprinkle top with corn chips or potato chips.

Bake uncovered at 350* for 50-60 minutes.

Can serve 10-12. Freeze half for later.

Posted by sue-p 10/1/13

walker

Sauerkraut and Apple

1/4 cup butter

2 tablespoons flour

2 1/2 cups sauerkraut

1/4 cup vinegar

3 whole cloves

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 large apple, finely chopped

Melt butter in pan. Add flour; stir until smooth. Add sauerkraut , vinegar, cloves, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup water; cover. Simmer 20 minutes. Add apple just before serving. About 6 servings.

Lynneuk

Mexican Chicken and Rice

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

4 chicken breasts pounded even.

Place chicken on foil lined baking sheet and spray with olive oil and season with S&P, garlic powder and onion powder.

Bake for 15 minutes,remove from oven and cover each breast with a slice of monterey/cheddar.Let sit while you prepare rice.

Take one pouch of heated Uncle Ben's Basmati Brown Rice, one can of corn drained and one can of black beans,drained and rinsed. Mix well together in a large bowl and micro til hot.

Put a serving of the rice on the center of a plate,place a chicken breast on top. Top each breast with a dollop of salsa and a dollop of sour cream. Add slices of fresh avocado.

Quick, easy, healthy dinner.

forrestwolf

Pumpkin Shake

3 cups (1-1/2 pints) vanilla ice cream

1 1/2 cups milk

1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling)

1/4 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

In a blender, blend all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Serve immediately.

You could always top with a dollop of whipped cream, and maybe a candy corn, or candy pumpkin........{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

JeanLouise­Finch

Dutch Apple Pie with Oatmeal Streusel

Servings: 8

" A spiced, sugared and delicious apple filling is spooned into a frozen crust, topped with aluminum foil and baked. Mid-way through baking, a streusel top is sprinkled on and the pie continues to bake until the apples are tender and the streusel is golden brown."

1 (9 inch) pie shell

5 cups apples - peeled, cored and sliced

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2/3 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

2 tablespoons butter

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cup rolled oats

1 teaspoon lemon zest

1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Fit pastry shell into pie pan and place in freezer.

To Make Apple Filling: Place apples in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine 2 tablespoons flour, white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Mix well, then add to apples. Toss until apples are evenly coated. Remove pie shell from freezer. Place apple mixture in pie shell and dot with 2 tablespoons butter or margarine. Lay a sheet of aluminum foil lightly on top of filling, but do not seal. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

While filling is baking, make Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, and lemon peel. Mix thoroughly, then cut in 1/2 cup butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly. Remove filling from oven and sprinkle streusel on top.

Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes, until streusel is browned and apples are tender. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excess browning.

RACALAMB

I would love to share an old recipe from my mom. It's a lovely sponge like cake with a buttery pecan top dusted with powdered sugar. Nice with coffee or for dessert.

A Different Bar Cookie

Melt 1 stick of butter in a 9x13 pan @ 375, remove from oven @sprinkle with 1 cup chopped nuts PECANS.

In a mixing bowl beat 4 eggs till foamy,add 1 cup sugar and beat 5-10 minutes (should be a pale yellow batter).Fold in 1/2 cup flour,1tsp vanilla. Spoon mixture over nuts and bake for 20 minutes@375.

Cool 10 minutes and turn onto cookie sheet or serving plater. Sprinkle w/powdered sugar and cut into bars. Enjoy!

You can melt the butter in the microwave and pour into pan. It's an old recipe like I said.

Next Ingredient: Chocolate Chips

forrestwolf

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

Servings:

1/2 cup butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

3/4 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped nuts(optional)

In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar over medium heat. Stir continuously, until the brown sugar dissolves. (You can also do this in the microwave but watch it closely. The butter/sugar mixture will boil over fast. Stir every 30 seconds or so.)

Remove from heat, whisk in the vanilla and set aside to cool.

Beat the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar for 1 minute.

Slowly beat in the cooled butter mixture and beat again for another minute.

Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts, if using.

Pour into a serving bowl and refrigerate.

Garnish with additional chocolate chips or nuts, if you choose.

Lynneuk

Roasted Maple Butternut Squash with Bacon.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut 4 slices of thick cut bacon and scatter onto a foil lined baking sheet.

Cut one sweet onion into half inch dice,scatter onto bacon.

Cut one butternut squash into fork sized chunks and scatter onto bacon and onion.

Roast for 10 minutes until bacon releases some fat then mix well to coat veggies in fat.Sprinkle lightly with a little S&P.

Roast another 30 minutes then stir well and pour on a couple of tablespoons of pure maple syrup and mix well. (No fake syrup,it won't taste right!)

Roast another 10 minutes til browned and glazed.

I sometimes add a chunked apple during the last ten minutes to add another layer of flavor.

forrestwolf

I also add potatoes, broccoli, or root vegetable..........BUT.........then roast cauliflower (or all veggies) and sprinkle with Sesame oil............Cool

Roasted Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower

2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely minced

Lemon juice from half a lemon

Olive oil

Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut cauliflower into florets and put in a single layer in an oven-proof baking dish. Toss in the garlic. Sprinkle lemon juice over cauliflower and drizzle each piece with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. If the oven hasn't reached 400°F yet, set aside until it has.

Place casserole in the hot oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is lightly brown. Test with a fork for desired doneness. Fork tines should be able to easily pierce the cauliflower. Remove from oven and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

sue-p

Meringoons

2 egg whites

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1/4 tsp. almond extract

1 cup shredded coconut

2 cups corn flakes

1 cup chocolate bits (6 oz.) I like mini's

Add salt to egg whites and beat until stiff. Add sugar gradually, beating until meringue stands in peaks. Fold in remaining ingredients. 'Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350* for 20 minutes. Makes 3 - 3-1/2 dozen.

forrestwolf

This is an old recipe from a grilling book I have by Steven Raichlen......I have changed it up a bit......but will post as he wrote it, with my changes.............{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

You can broil or grill this recipe

Bloody Mary Steaks

8 (3 to 4-ounce) or 4 (6 to 8-ounce) filet mignons (I USE RIBEYE OR SKIRT OR FLANK)

For the marinade:

2 cups tomato juice or V-8 juice (I USE BOLD AND SPICY BLOODY MARY MIX)

1/4 cup vodka or gin (VODKA FOR ME)

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, or to taste

1 tablespoon freshly grated horseradish or prepared white horseradish

1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, or to taste (unless your using Pepar vodka)

1/2 teaspoon celery salt (I DO NOT USE THIS)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Arrange the steaks in a baking dish. Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a mixing bowl and whisk to mix. Pour the mixture over the steaks and marinate for 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator, turning the steaks a couple of times to insure even marinating. (I USE A ZIP LOC BAG AND JUST TURN OCCASIONALLY)

Preheat the grill to high. Oil the grate. Grill the steaks until cooked to taste, 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare, rotating each steak 90 degrees after 2 minutes to create an attractive cross-hatch of grill marks. Transfer the steaks to plates or a platter.

walker

Baked Chicken Breasts....... 8-10 chicken breasts, boned if desired...... 2 cups SOUR CREAM...... 1/4 cup lemon juice....... 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce...... 1/4 teaspoon pepper, or less..... 3 teaspoons celery salt.... 1 teaspoon paprika.... 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt... Mix last 7 ingredients in large bowl, add chicken and chill at least 24 hours. Crush one package of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing and coat the chicken in it. Place chicken in baking dish. Melt 3/4 cup butter.....pour half over the chicken, bake 1/2 hour, pour rest over chicken and bake another 1/2 hour.......350 degrees....uncovered. Good....moist...make ahead.......... NEXT iINGREDIENT..............BUTTER

forrestwolf

There is clear or white vanilla extract if you prefer the butter cream to be vanilla flavored or you can use any extract or alcohol like Grand Marnier for flavoring.

White Buttercream:

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup water

4 egg whites

1 pound butter, cut up and softened slightly

1 teaspoon almond extract

Make the White Buttercream: Put the sugar in a saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer and pour the water down the walls of the pan to moisten the sugar without letting sugar crystals wash up on the walls of the pan. Run your finger through the center making an X to allow the water to seep into the sugar if it hasn't already. Bring the sugar to a boil over high heat and continue cooking to the "softball" stage (234 degrees F.).

Meanwhile, in a standing mixer fitted with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites to soft peaks and hold them on low speed until the sugar is ready. When the sugar syrup is has reached the softball stage, turn the mixer up to high and slowly pour the syrup down the side of the mixer. Let it continue to whip to cool down. When it's feeling somewhat cooled but still a little warm, start adding the butter a few pieces at a time until you have a smooth, whipped butter cream. Add the almond extract. Use right away or cover and chill. Re-warm or let sit out to warm up to room temperature to use.

sue-p

Sunshine Chicken

2 to 3 tsp. curry powder

1-1/4 tsp. salt (divided)

1/4 tsp. pepper

6 chicken breast halves, boned and skinned

1-1/2 cups orange juice

1 cup long grain white rice (I use Uncle Ben's Converted)

3/4 cup water

1 Tbsp. brown sugar

1 tsp. dry mustard

Chopped parsley

Combine curry powder, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Sprinkle over chicken; rub seasonings onto top and bottom surfaces of each chicken piece and set aside. In a 10" skillet, combine orange juice, white rice, water, brown sugar, mustard and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt; mix well. Arrange chicken pieces over uncooked white rice. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 6 servings, 281 calories per serving.

forrestwolf

COLORFUL PEA SALAD

2 medium carrots, chopped

1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas

1 celery rib, thinly sliced

1/4 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup chopped green onions

3 tablespoons buttermilk

1 tablespoon plain yogurt or Greek yogurt

1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer. Drain; rinse in cold water and drain again. Place in a bowl; add celery, cheese and onions.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over vegetable mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

walker

Lemon-Pepper Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 lemon

lemon-pepper seasoning

parsley

Spray baking dish with Pam (or similar)...or grease dish. Place chicken breasts in dish. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Slice lemon into 8 slices. Place two slices on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley. If using glass baking dish, bake at 325, uncovered, for one hour. Other type baking dishes, bake at 350, 45 to 60 mins., til done.

forrestwolf

Homemaqde Cocktail Sauce

1/2 cup chili sauce (recommended: Heinz)

1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)

3 tablespoons prepared horseradish

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (I PREFER CAYENNE HOT PEPPER SAUCE, SUCH AS CRYSTAL OR FRANKS)

For the cocktail sauce, combine the chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.

walker

Paula Deen’s Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups cooked chicken breast meat, cubed

1 cup diced celery

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

2/3 cup crushed potato chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 qt. casserole( recipe calls for 9x13 pan...seems better to me in 2qt..your choice) with vegetable oil cooking spray. In large bowl, combine the chicken, celery, almonds, salt, pepper, lemon juice, MAYONNAISE, and cheese. Place the mixture in prepared dish. Spread the crushed potato chips on top. Bake for 20 mins or until bubbly.

Page 2 of 4

forrestwolf

Garlic Parmesan Pork Chops

4 (1/2-inch-thick) boneless pork chops

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs

1/4 cup butter, divided

1 1/2 teaspoons prepared minced garlic

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Sprinkle pork chops evenly with salt and pepper.

In a small, shallow bowl, stir together milk and mustard. Dip pork chops in milk mixture; coat in bread crumbs. Place pork chops on prepared baking sheet.

Bake pork chops 25 to 30 minutes, or until medium or desired doneness beyond that.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat; add garlic and saute 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cream and cheese; reduce heat to low, and simmer 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil). Whisk in remaining butter until melted. Serve over chops and garnish with chopped parsley.

walker

Carolina Pie

1 can (8oz.) crushed pineapple, do not drain

1 can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk

1/4 cup Lemon juic

1 cup chopped nuts

1 8oz. COOL WHIP (thaw)

Mix above together and pour into two pre made graham cracker pie crusts. Refrigerate til serving. Can be frozen.

Beebee

Burrito Pie

2 lb ground beef

1 onion, chopped

2 t minced garlic

2-oz can black olives, sliced

4-oz can diced green chili peppers

10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers

16-oz jar taco sauce

(2) 16-oz cans refried beans

(12) 8-inch flour tortillas

9 oz shredded Colby cheese

Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat, if desired. Mix in the olives, green chile peppers, tomatoes with green chile peppers, taco sauce and refried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of tortillas followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly. makes 16 servings

allrecipes.com

cab

Easy Pad Thai

Serves 4

8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving

3 tablespoons soy sauce

1 squirt (about 1/8 teaspoon) Sriracha (optional)

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced

1 garlic clove, minced

2 large eggs, light beaten (optional)

1/2 cup fresh cilantro

1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts

Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.

In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.

Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.

Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.

Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts...BACON NEXT Smiley Happy cb

Classylady

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapenos Stuffed with Ranch Dressing Cream Cheese

Girls, I grew lots of Jalapeno peppers this year. They are still making as a matter of fact. So I take them and split them in half, clean out the seeds. Make a mixture of softened cream cheese and a packet of ranch dressing mix. Put in the Jalapeno and then wrap it in bacon. Put on a baking sheet and bake until the bacon is brown and crisp.

If you like peppers, this is wonderful, if not maybe someone else will post a bacon recipe. We love our bacon so I can never have too many recipes.

Angellove

Avocado Bacon and Eggs

1 Large Avocado

2 slices Cooked Bacon (crumbled)

2 Eggs

To taste Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 425ºF. Cut the avocado in half. Scoop out enough of the meat of the avocado so the hole is about the

same size as your eggs. Crack an egg into each half of the avocado, resting the edge of the avocado on the side of the

cookie sheet to help keep the avocado steady. Top with bacon crumbs.

Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to your desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.

forrestwolf

Kielbasa Potato Chowder Recipe

1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

3 bacon strips, diced

1 small onion, finely chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1-1/2 cups water

2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules

1/8 teaspoon pepper

2 kale leaves, torn or 1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or 2% milk

In a large nonstick skillet, brown kielbasa and bacon; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Add onion; cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic; 1 minute longer.

In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add the potatoes, bouillon and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add the meat mixture and kale; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until kale is wilted. Reduce heat. Add the cream; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through.

Zhills

Quick Ziti with Swiss Cheese and Ham

1 (16 ounce) package ziti pasta

8 slices Swiss cheese, diced

8 slices ham, chopped

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the ziti pasta, and cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the ham in the oil until browned, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside. When the pasta is done and drained, mix in the ham and Swiss cheese until cheese is melted.

Easy to half for a quick dinner for 2.

walker

Creamed Potatoes Plus

5 cups diced cooked potatoes (about 4 or 5 med potatoes)

1 pkg. (10oz.) frozen peas (uncooked)*

1 jar (8oz.) pearl onions*

4 oz. cream cheese

3 slices of American cheese cut into 1/4" strips

1 can cream of celery soup

1/3 cup milk

Sprinkle potatoes with salt. Combine with peas and pearl onions and 1/2 of the American cheese. Heat soup, milk and cream cheese until cheese is melted. Mix with potato mixture. Place in a 2 qt. baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbly (about 30 minutes).

* I have used frozen pkg of peas and pearl onions together. You could also probably substitute shredded cheese. This is a recipe written in 1958.

Beebee

Celery Egg Salad

1/4 c mayonnaise

2 t lemon juice

1 t dried minced onion

1/4 t pepper

6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

1/2 c finely chopped celery

Combine mayo, lemon juice, onion, and pepper.

Stir in eggs and celery.

Cover and chill.

Next ingredient: chipotles (canned smoked jalapeno peppers)

forrestwolf

Chipotle Sliders

1 package (12 ounces) Hawaiian sweet rolls, divided

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

8 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided

1-1/2 pounds ground beef

10 slices pepper Jack cheese

1/2 cup mayonnaise

Place 2 rolls in a food processor; process until crumbly. Transfer to a large bowl; add the salt, pepper and 6 teaspoons chipotle peppers. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 10 patties.

Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top with cheese. Grill 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.

Split remaining rolls and grill, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted. Combine mayonnaise and remaining chipotle peppers; spread over roll bottoms.

Top each with a burger. Replace roll top

forrestwol

Maple-Glazed Acorn Squash

1 medium acorn squash, halved

1-1/2 cups water

1/4 cup maple syrup

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Scoop out and discard seeds from squash. Place cut side down in a 13x9-in. baking dish; add water. Bake, uncovered, at 45 minutes.

Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Combine syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt; pour into squash halves. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until glaze is heated through.

walker

Viennese Brownies

1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

Mix the three items listed above and set aside.

2 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

3/4 cup flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

Grease an 8x8 square pan. Melt chocolate and butter. Beat 2 eggs until fluffy, add sugar and chocolate mixture, mix together. Add dry ingredients; stir to blend. Pour half chocolate mixture into greased pan. Spread with cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining batter. Bake 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees.

Zhills

Picadillo recipe

1 lb ground beef

2 tbs olive oil

1 medium large yellow onion, diced

6 garlic cloves, finely chopped

½ bell pepper, diced

1 tbs cumin

3 small potatoes, peeled and cut in small pieces

¾ cup dry white wine

½ cup whole green olives, stuffed w/ pimentos

½ cup raisins

¼ cup capers, drained

2 cans of tomato sauce (8 oz cans)

Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium-size frying pan, brown the ground beef with a dash of cumin and pepper, drain off any excess grease, and set aside.

In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbs of olive oil over med-low heat and cook the diced onion until soft

Add the chopped garlic and cook until almost golden.

Mix in the bell pepper, cumin, pepper and a little salt – not too much as the olives and capers are salty.

Add the potatoes pieces and cook for about 5 minutes.

Add the ground beef and the wine, let the liquid reduce.

Add raisins and tomato sauce when the potatoes are about half-cooked (a knife can easily through the first part but the center is still very firm).

Cook for 5 more minutes and then add the olives and capers.

Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are ready. If the sauce thickens too much, you can add some more wine or a little bit of water. Taste and adjust any seasonings: salt, pepper, cumin or additional olives/capers.

Serve with rice, fried ripe plantains and a small salad.

I found this same recipe, without the potatoes, used as a taco filling. Sounds delish!

forrestwolf

Spaghetti Carbonara

1pound(s) spaghetti

8ounce(s) (8 slices) bacon, cut 1-inch-thick crosswise

Coarse salt

Freshly ground pepper

3large eggs

3/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

1/2 cup(s) half-and-half

Set a large pot of water to boil (for pasta). In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.

Salt boiling water generously; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, Parmesan, and half-and-half. Set aside.

Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging to it. Working quickly, add hot pasta to egg mixture. Add bacon; season with salt and pepper, and toss all to combine (heat from pasta will cook eggs). Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmesan cheese.

forrestwolf

White Jamaican Recipe

Crushed ice

1-1/2 ounces vanilla vodka

1-1/2 ounces coconut rum

1-1/2 ounces coffee liqueur

3/4 ounce heavy whipping cream

Fill a shaker three-fourths full with ice. Add the vodka, rum, coffee liqueur and cream; cover and shake for 10-15 seconds or until condensation forms on outside of shaker. Strain into glass if desired or serve over ice. Yield: 1 serving.

Zhills

Classic Mustard Potato Salad

2 cups Idaho potatoes, cooked, peeled, and diced (about 1 inch chunks)

2 eggs, hard boiled and finely diced

1/2 cup sweet onions, finely diced

1/4 cup celery, finely diced (about 2 stalks)

1/4 cup dill pickles, finely diced (or dill pickle relish)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 Tbsp yellow mustard

1 Tbsp dill pickle juice

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/2 Tbsp sugar

In a large bowl, combine the onion, celery, pickles, mayo, mustard, pickle juice, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well to combine. Add in potatoes and eggs. Stir gently until well coated.

Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to overnight. Keep this in the fridge until ready to use.

forrestwolf

Hot German Potato Salad Recipe

9 medium potatoes (I USE RED POTATOES AND DO NOT PEEL, AND COOK IN CUBES)

1-1/2 pounds smoked sausage or fully cooked bratwurst links

6 bacon strips

3/4 cup chopped onion

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon celery seed (NOT FOR ME)

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup sugar

1-1/3 cups water

2/3 cup cider vinegar

In a saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.

Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-in. slices; saute in a skillet until browned. Drain and place in a large bowl. Drain potatoes; peel and cut into 3/4-in. cubes. Add sausage; keep warm.

Cook bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside. Drain all but 3 tablespoons of drippings; saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, celery seed and pepper; blend well. Add sugar, water and vinegar; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes.

Pour over potato mixture and stir gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Serve warm.

sciencegeek

Apple Bars

Crust:

2 1/2 cups sifted flour

1 tsp salt

1 cup shortening

Mix well and divide into 2 dough balls. Roll one out to fit in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

Filling:

8-10 tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 8 cups)

1 cup cornflakes

3/4 to 1 cup sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix together and spread over bottom crust. Roll out remaining dough ball and place on top. Brush with egg whites, slit the top crust a few times, and bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

Glaze:

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

2-3 tsp milk

Mix and drizzle over warm bars.

sue-p

Chile Pizza

1 pound ground beef

1 pkg. (1.25 oz.) Chili Seasoning Mix

1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes, cut up

1 can (14.5 oz.) pinto or kidney beans

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 can (4 oz.) sliced black olives

8 large (burrito size) flour tortillas

Brown ground beef; drain. Stir in Seasoning Mix, tomatoes and pinto beans; cook 5-10 minutes.

Arrange tortillas in a circle on a 12" pizza pan, overlap edges where needed.

Spoon ground beef mixture onto tortillas. Top with cheese and olives.

Bake in 400* oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Garnish with sliced green onions, if desired.

Makes one 12" pizza.

Page 3 of 4

walker

Hot Cider

6 cups apple cider

1 cup Amaretto

cinnamon sticks

orange slices

Mix together apple cider and Amaretto in a crock pot. Add some cinnamon sticks and orange slices. Heat til warm for serving. If serving right away, may have to heat on stove first or put on high in crock pot. Otherwise put in crock pot on low (if cider is cold it will take awhile to heat through). Smells good and tastes great ...good recipe for Fall.

forrestwolf

Sage Pork Chops with Cider Pan Gravy

4 bone-in center-cut pork loin chops (6 ounces each)

Salt and pepper to taste

3 tablespoons dried sage leaves

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 cup apple cider or juice

1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Minced fresh parsley

Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper; rub with sage. Place flour in a small shallow bowl; coat chops with flour.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chops in butter and oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm.

Add cider, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in broth; cook 3 minutes longer. Add cream; cook for 2-3 minutes or until gravy is slightly thickened. Return chops to the pan; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Garnish with parsley.

walker

Carrot Cabbage Slaw (Taste of Home recipe)

4 cups shredded cabbage

2 cups shredded carrots

2 medium Golden Delicious apples, chopped

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1/2 cup honey

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1 cup sour cream

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional

In a large serving bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, apples, raisins and walnuts. In separate bowl, combine the honey and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in the sour cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if desired. Stir into the cabbage mixture. Chill until serving. Makes about 12 servings.

forrestwolf

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Dip

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter

8 oz cream cheese, softened

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips

8oz pkg Reese's peanut butter cup Minis (or about 1 1/2 cup chopped Reeses cups)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in the sugar and heat until sugar dissolves (about one minute). Remove from heat immediately add vanilla and allow to cool to room temperature (very important).

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and peanut butter until creamy (about 3-4 minutes, don't skimp on the beating time). On low, add in brown sugar mixture (that has cooled to room temperature). Mix until combined. Fold in mini chocolate chips and mini Reese's cups. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy with pretzels, animal cracker and graham sticks.

forrestwolf

Grilled Scallop Salad Recipe

24 asparagus spears, trimmed

2 tablespoon Olive Oil

1 teaspoon soy sauce

24 sea scallops

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

2 cups torn red leaf lettuce

2 cups torn Bibb lettuce or Boston lettuce

1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon

1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese

1/2 cup balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing

In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil and soy sauce; add scallops. Seal bag and turn to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill scallops, uncovered, over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until the scallops are firm and opaque.

Arrange mushrooms on a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.

Arrange lettuce on four serving plates. Top with asparagus, scallops, mushrooms, bacon, walnuts and cheese. Drizzle with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.

Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.

]

forrestwolf

Creamy Strawberry Dessert Recipe

1-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 45 wafers)

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin

1 cup boiling water

2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed

In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugars and butter; press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Sprinkle gelatin over boiling water. Remove from the heat; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in strawberries and milk. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until partially set.

Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture. Spread over prepared crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares.

Zhills

Bisquick Corn Bread

2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 cup cornmeal

3/4 cup sugar

3 eggs, beaten

1 ½ cups milk

1 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Place the 9x9 pan in the oven, empty for ten minutes.

Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the eggs, milk and melted butter. Mix with a large wooden spoon or spatula, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet ingredients.

Take one spoonful of butter and put into the very hot pan that was heating in the oven. Make sure the bottom of the pan is well covered with the butter. Pour the batter into the pan and into the oven.

Bake about 40 mins until golden brown.

Next ingredient: Corn (canned or frozen)

forrestwolf

Tater Tot Taco Salad Recipe

2 cups frozen miniature Tater Tots (I USE REGULAR)

1/2 pound ground beef (I ADD MORE LIKE 1 LB)

2 tablespoons taco seasoning

1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup sliced ripe olives

1 cup shredded lettuce

2 tablespoons taco sauce

1/4 cup sour cream

Bake Tater Tots according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning. Divide Tater Tots between two serving plates or bowls.

Top with taco mixture, cheese, olives, lettuce, taco sauce and sour cream.

sue-p

Gold Star Supper Dish

This dish is one of my family favorites. It is flavorful and hearty and one of our best ground beef recipes.

1 pkg. (8 oz.) noodles