Occasional Contributor

Re: Really need a great Cake Recipe

@walker Thank you soooooo much! I will definitely make this, and I love the fact that it is a vintage recipe! Thank you again and I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!
Honored Contributor

@walker

Dumb question - Is the lemon pie filling referred to in your recipe the canned type of pie filling?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

If you like chocolate ... Texas Sheet Cake. Several recipes for it can be found online.

(It really is yummy 😀!)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

IG ....  I am pretty sure it was the box lemon pudding/pie filling.  Make it, cool and use as filling.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

For 18 years, my mother made me a homemade Cherry Cake for my birthday. What made it special was that it was a 2-layer cake made in heart-shaped pans. She made that cake with love every year and topped it with a 7-minute frosting. Wonderful memories of my birthday cake shaped in a heart!

@jannabelle1  That is a very special memory.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@ECBG.....I love pound cake.....I don't make it often.  My mom had a good recipe that I make on occasion.  I enjoy it with a good cup of coffee.  DH and I are real sweet eaters...out guilty pleasure...he is a chocoholic.

I think what makes the red cake so good is the frosting.

@Mom2DogsTotally agree about cream cheese frosting.  Is it not one of (if not) THE best ever?  

I do eat pound cake now, if it's moist.  I LOVE vanilla.

I have a recipie for a killer chocolate poundcake.

@ECBG

Please share your chocolate pound cake. Sounds yummy.

I remember my mom making pound cake for my youngest brother all the time. He loves it. 

Honored Contributor

That was my FIL's favorite cake. It's pretty good. Something good but different when you get tired of chocolate.

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

my cucina ..... this is recipe my mother wrote for me with note....."from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook, 1945".... so good!  Memories even better!

Delicate White Cake

2/3 cup butter

2 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups cake flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup water

4 stiffly beaten egg whites + 1 teaspoon baking powder

Thoroughly cream butter and sugar.  Add vanilla, sifted flour, salt and 2 teaspoons of baking powder alternately with water...beating well after each addition.  Fold in egg whites beaten with remaining 1 teaspoon of baking powder.  Bake in two 9" cake pans..30 minutes at 350.  

Cool cake.  Mix lemon pie filling and put between layers. 

Frosting....Butter Cream

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup milk

Bring above to a boil and set aside to cool.

Beat 1 egg white stiff....pour milk mixture in it and stir well.

Beat until fluffy....

1/4 lb. butter

1/2 cup Crisco

Pour milk mixture into butter mixture slowly...beat until it is fluffy.  If desired, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  

@walker

I'm confused. LOL!!! 

You say to Mix lemon pie filling and put between layers but I don't see any lemon in the recipe?

What kind of lemon pie filling are you using?

HELP!!! I feel like a moron. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@walker

Dumb question - Is the lemon pie filling referred to in your recipe the canned type of pie filling?

@KingstonsMom

LOL!!!  I just posted the same question. I do not see any lemon in the recipe & wondered what to use??? 

I hope the other posters that saved the recipe can figure it out.

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

IG ....  I am pretty sure it was the box lemon pudding/pie filling.  Make it, cool and use as filling.

@walker

Thanks for posting. No need to reply to my question about it in my post. I should I have went the rest of the thread before posting the question.