Trusted Contributor

I decided to cook my turkey the day before Thanksgiving so I don't have to get up at 5am to cook my 23 lb. turkey. I have never done this before. So I am looking for advice on the best way to rewarm it and keep it moist to take it to the family dinner. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Re-heating turkey?

[ Edited ]

I use a cooking bag, and it doesn't take as long, (and it's moist)

Seems you would dry it out if you reheated the whole turkey.

Valued Contributor

If I'm having a lot of company to feed, I cook my turkey the day before also.  DH slices it once it cools, and I put it in a disposible pan, seal it well with foil until time to reheat. 

I would have already poured off the juices to make gravy on Thanksgiving day, so I add a couple cans of turkey or chicken broth to the slices to keep them moist.

I like to do this method because it allows me to arrange slices on a pretty tray ( or 2 ) and embelish the tray with some fruit slices, cranberries, and sprigs of herbs.  It makes the turkey look so much nicer than a carcass on the table!

Trusted Contributor

@geegerbee

As @missy1 said I would use a cooking bag. A 23 lb turkey takes 3-31/2 hours. Plus if you’re transporting it you can leave it in the bag until you get to your family dinner. Then cut the bag and use the juices for your gravy. 

Valued Contributor

Ina Garten showed how to reheat turkey on her 11/11/18 show.  Nor sure of all the steps but I think she put some gravy on the platter and put turkey on top, then covered with foil.  She said she puts back in the oven for 30 minutes but did not specify the temperature.  Hope this helps.  You can also go to the Food Network site and check out that date's show.

Respected Contributor

As another person mentioned, I would slice the turkey and put it in a pan to be reheated in the oven.  My mother did this with her leftover turkey and added a little water for moisture before putting it in the oven.  Cover the pan with foil. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't cook the turkey the day before. Reheating is like cooking it twice. NO doubt, it will be dried out.

Honored Contributor

I would pour a little turkey stock/gray over and under the turkey and cover it in the oven with foil over top. Go low and slow with the temp too.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee

Okay.....Sure I've posted this before, but I now cook my turkey the day before and have been doing so for many years.  Talk about  making things easier on T'Day.  I slice my turkey, put in a container...lay as much of the skin on top of white meat and seal it all tight.  On T'Day, I use a warming tray that has serving containers...a buffet server set.....Add my turkey with some low sodium broth and warm slowly covered. ALWAYS moist and never any complaints. I sometimes do 2 turkeys (stuffed) plus a breast.  This year, a turkey, a breast and turkey legs.  

Here's what I do while turkey resting on Wednesday...make my gravy, drop my carcass into a freezer bag and freeze, clean up all the big roasting pan.  I get all the chaos out of the way.  A day or two after T'Day I take out my carcass to make my soup.  After that is strained, I then add leftover turkey, gravy, and dressing and mashed potatoes to my soup broth.  Super yummy with flavor from gravy, dressing and the potatoes thicken the broth.  

Go for it....just heat slowly and keep it moist.