Regular Contributor

Does anyone know of a good low calorie or ranch dip for vegetables?

Respected Contributor

I think Hummus is low calorie (?)  Might be wrong. 

Honored Contributor

Low fat plain yogurt.  You can add a dry ranch mix to it or make tzaziki - cucumber, garlic, olive oil, dill or mint, lemon.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Low fat plain yogurt.  You can add a dry ranch mix to it or make tzaziki - cucumber, garlic, olive oil, dill or mint, lemon.

Great suggestion. Tzatzki is a wonderful dip for vegetables.

Here's a recipe:

1. 1 cup Greek whole milk yogurt.
  2. 1 English cucumber, seeded, finely grated and drained.
  3. 2 cloves garlic, finely minced.
  4. 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
  5. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill.
  6. Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Chill.  You can add some mint for a very fresh taste

Esteemed Contributor

With the ranch dressing packet- use low fat or light mayo and non fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream

Honored Contributor

I make the dupe Hidden Valley dressing powder. It makes a lot, so I store it in a lock n lock.  It will last a year, without getting that stale taste.  When you make your own it doesnt have msg, so it doesnt last for centuries. Lol!  All Hidden valley packets or bottled dressings have MSG,  all of them

so when I make my own powder, you can mix it with anything.  I have even used cottage cheese.  I just pulse it a couple times in the ninja and you are ready to go

Valued Contributor

@shoekitty

Could you please post your recipe for the ranch dressing dupe? TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Ranch Dressing Or Dip

[ Edited ]

@CaliKat

Yes!  Glad to post it.. I have posted this recipe on boards before. go to the board search. Key in,     Best Ever Hidden Valley ranch dressing dupe

hope it shows up.  It is a long recipe as I added, best results hints 😳  I brought the thread up again in kitchen, because thats where it was originally posted

Valued Contributor

@shoekitty

Thanks for the recipe. I'm copying it here in case anyone else wants it.

Best Ever Hidden Valley ranch dressing dupe

Posted by Shoekitty 

Several months ago we had a thread on the perils of MSG additives in our food on this forum. I had posted my dismay, and frustration that Hidden Valley Dressing was loaded with MSG and it's cousins. It didn't matter if it was pre made bottled, or packaged dry, any every flavor...it has MSG!

Someone posted the best duplicate for Hidden Valley dressing ever! I want everyone to know I made it, as did my family and we all gave it 30 thumbs up!! You cannot tell the difference. My one daughter did a "taste test", at a huge party and no one could tell the difference..not one person. My daughter was addicted to the stuff, but her daughter had bad reaction to MSG. Other Ranch dressings are not good to us.

I hope the poster who gave me the recipe comes by, as I want to thank her. Here is her recipe. It makes a ton. I keep some handy in a pint mason jar, and have vacuumed sealed little packets.

Note. I purchased organic spices online (cheaper than buying bottles), and used July brand organic saltine crackers. I bought a huge bunch of organic parsley at store, and dehydrated it myself in oven day before I made mix. It was way cheaper! I used only the leaves after it was dehydrated, and threw stems away.

Ingredients

15 saltine crackers

2 c minced dried parsley

1/2cup dry minced ONION

2T dry DILL

1/4 cup ONION SALT

1/4 cup GARLIC SALT

1/4 cup ONION POWDER

1/4 cup GARLIC POWDER

Blend crackers on high speed in processor until powdered

add Parsley and blend until parsley is size of cracked pepper or finer. Then add minced dry onion and blend until fine, then add Dill and blend. These ingredients should be ground until it looks like powdered HV dressing mix. Very fine. Then stir in rest of ingredients and process to blend well.

To make dressing use, 1T mix per 1 cup mayo (or vegenaise) and 1 cup buttermilk. I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon mix to mine. Make at least 5 hours ahead. Overnight is best, or early in day. The crackers thicken dressing, and the spices incorporate better.

Add dry mix to burgers, fries, or sour cream for dip. Add a little dry mix to potato/macaroni salad!

Honored Contributor

calikat--someday---I'm going to start reading the WHOLE post before I ask dumb quetions---sheesh-----   I plugged everything in and prob about 5 g of carbs per 2 tablespoons of dressing---very exceptable numbers. am anxious to try this recipe---thanks