Valued Contributor

With food prices going up so much I decided to buy packages of Ramen Noodles found at $2.27 for 12. I know how I will hear about how unhealthy they are, but with additions of seasonings, veggies and lean meat or fish they can be made into a nice occasional meal for lunch. Looking on this site I found some recipes from posters I had forgotten about and loved when they posted recipes. Lost track of what happened to them.           . Anyway, does anyone have some Ramen noodle recipes they have tried lately that are exceptional? I found a lot listed on line, but it is nice to find ones that are tried and true. Another poster mentioned how far she could stretch a rotesserie  chicken, I find it fun to see how cheaply we can eat good food by buying right and  doctoring up the product.

Super Contributor

I've always doctored my ramen by adding extra water, less packet seasoning, ginger paste, miso, chili paste,some protein                   (chicken,beef,tofu or a soft boiled egg) and some variety of vegetable (bok  choy,napa cabbage,or kale). Usually, it can make two meals depending upon how much you put into it. It turns out very healthy also with the extra broth and less seasoning packet which has lots of sodium.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ramen Noodle Buy.

[ Edited ]

@nomar   Costco recently has many different variations on ramen noodles...boxes of udon, etc.  I've never bought them, but this is a new trend at my local Costco.

This is for a day when the cook doesn't feel like cooking and there is a clamor for noodles. Here is a quick noodle dish using the Yakisoba noodles that I purchase in the frozen section at Costco - they come individually wrapped in a box (about 8 to a box).  It is so simple, just adding a few ingrediants to frozen noodles.

Veggie noodles

You can google a quick peanut sauce...

Sorry, I never measure,I go by taste and mine usually combines the following: 

about 1/2 cp peanut butter, small amounts of: rice vinegar, ginger (fresh grated or sushi ginger) , sesame oil, Coco Aminos (or soy sauce), gochujang (a chili garlic paste), brown sugar..

Noodles

Two packages of Yakisoba - mircrowave for about 5 minutes

one package of stir fry frozen veggies (TJs) - micro wave for about 5 minutes

saute fresh mushrooms in sesame oil

transfer the Yakisoba noodles and stir fry veggies to the mushroom pan

add a small package of fresh mung bean sprouts - combine till hot and the sprouts are soft

add the sauce

top with sesame seeds/chopped scallions or chopped peanuts

Quick, easy, cheap.....you can use what ever you have on hand, sometimes I add tofu or broccoli/spinach, etc.  

I buy the following at Trader Joe's and always have in the cupboard/freezer:

Coconut Aminos (sub for soy sauce)

Frozen Stir Fry (usually make fresh veggies...this is the only brand frozen stir fry I use)

Sesame Oil (I don't use oil, but make an exception for these noodles)

Honored Contributor

@nomar I like to add chopped up zucchini or yellow squash, onions and tomatoes (I usually microwave a little then put in).  Even canned tomatoes and squash aren't bad in a pinch in the winter!  

Regular Contributor

We love making "ramdon" with all types & flavors of ramen noodles...

[ Edited ]

We eat ramdon a few times a month. My son has this dish down to a science based upon each family member's likes & dislikes. For example, he makes my ramdon with teriyaki-flavored ramen & udon noodles. For his sister, he makes her ramdon with 1/2 chapaghetti and 1/2 neoguri noodles. For his dad and himself, he's always switching up what he prepares (sometimes it's seafood ramen, other times it's beef ramen). He grills whatever Rastelli steaks we have on hand, almost blackening them with Rastelli's seasonings. My son then cuts the steaks into cubes and adds them to the noodle dishes. It's a fun and delicious meal that has become a family favorite.

Here's a recipe that is similar to what my son prepares:

https://www.curiouscuisiniere.com/jjapaguri-ramdon/

Respected Contributor

I love this & it makes a lot.

Chinese Chicken Salad

1lb Cole Slaw Mix

2 pkgs Ramen Noodles (Creamy Chicken Flavoris my favorite)

5oz pkg Sunkist Almond Accents (I use the Honey Roasted.)

2C Cubed Chicken

Stir together in a large bowl.

Dressing-

5T White Vinegar

3/4C Oil

3T Sugar

Season Packets From The Ramen Noodles

Blend well & pour over cole slaw mixture.

Honored Contributor

Do you have a favorite brand?  I usually just get the little packages most grocery stores have, and have also used cups but don't remember specific brands.  Darn!

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Do you have a favorite brand?  I usually just get the little packages most grocery stores have, and have also used cups but don't remember specific brands.  Darn!

A brand that has been around forever is what I just stocked up on. Maruchan. Aldi and Walmart both had the 12 pack for a little over $2.00. I will try the ideas posters put on here. Talk about cheap eating!! And filling!!

Trusted Contributor

My oldest grand loves ramen but the sodium is just through the roof, so when I buy it, which isn't often, I just discard the seasoning packet and make it without any. When the noodles are hot, I had some frozen peas and grated Parmesan. She love it like this. 

Valued Contributor

I have tried many differnt versions of this type of salad and without a doubt this is the easiest and best i have ever tried. I did sub Seasoned rice vinegar for the white vinegar but only because I like a little sweeter drsg. Thanks for posting. This will be the only one I make from now on.

@Dusty1 wrote:

Chinese Chicken Salad

1lb Cole Slaw Mix

2C Cubed Chicken

Dressing-

5T White Vinegar

3/4C Oil

3T Sugar

@Dusty1 wrote:

Chinese Chicken Salad

1lb Cole Slaw Mix

2C Cubed Chicken

Dressing-

5T White Vinegar

3/4C Oil

3T Sugar