Respected Contributor

Radiatore with Sausage and Spinach

I shared this recipe about six years ago.  As DH said at the table this evening, it is still a favorite.  The only change made tonight was the wine we opened.  We enjoyed a bottle of Monastrelle.

16 ounces radiatore pasta

12 ounces breakfast-style pork sausage*

1 teaspoon minced garlic

8 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach leaves, stems removed

1 pint ripe grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes

½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Salt and black pepper to taste

Place the pasta in 3 quarts of salted, boiling water and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. When the pasta is done, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, place the sausage in an extra-deep, 12-inch nonstick skillet that has a lid. Cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it is browned and well crumbled, stirring frequently to break up the meat, about 7 minutes.

When the meat has browned, reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Add the spinach leaves to the skillet on top of the meat, but do not stir. Cover the skillet and cook until the leaves are just wilted and still bright green, about 4 to 5 minutes.**

Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into halves and place the pieces in a 3-quart or larger serving bowl.

Add the hot, drained pasta to the bowl with the tomatoes. Add the sausage and spinach to the pasta and tomatoes. Sprinkle the cheeses over the bowl and stir and toss until well blended and the cheese melts.

Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve at once.

Mrs. G's notes:

*I use Italian sausage instead of breakfast pork sausage.

**Watch the spinach carefully! There is a very narrow window of time between “just wilted” and a soggy mess.

Wine: Shiraz

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Re: Radiatore with Sausage and Spinach

@IamMrsG wrote:

I shared this recipe about six years ago.  As DH said at the table this evening, it is still a favorite.  The only change made tonight was the wine we opened.  We enjoyed a bottle of Monastrelle.

16 ounces radiatore pasta

12 ounces breakfast-style pork sausage*

1 teaspoon minced garlic

8 cups (5 ounces) baby spinach leaves, stems removed

1 pint ripe grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes

½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese

½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Salt and black pepper to taste

Place the pasta in 3 quarts of salted, boiling water and cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. When the pasta is done, drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, place the sausage in an extra-deep, 12-inch nonstick skillet that has a lid. Cook the sausage over medium-high heat until it is browned and well crumbled, stirring frequently to break up the meat, about 7 minutes.

When the meat has browned, reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the garlic. Add the spinach leaves to the skillet on top of the meat, but do not stir. Cover the skillet and cook until the leaves are just wilted and still bright green, about 4 to 5 minutes.**

Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into halves and place the pieces in a 3-quart or larger serving bowl.

Add the hot, drained pasta to the bowl with the tomatoes. Add the sausage and spinach to the pasta and tomatoes. Sprinkle the cheeses over the bowl and stir and toss until well blended and the cheese melts.

Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve at once.

Mrs. G's notes:

*I use Italian sausage instead of breakfast pork sausage.

**Watch the spinach carefully! There is a very narrow window of time between “just wilted” and a soggy mess.

Wine: Shiraz

@IamMrsG  I would use mild Italian sausage also. Smiley Happy  I will make this soon.  I make a sausage and greens pasta, similar,  but I know DH will love the tomatoes added.

Trusted Contributor

Oh this sounds so yummy! I shall shop for the ingredients and make it a special project for the upcoming rainy weekend.

Thanks for sharing. My mouth is watering now...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IamMrsG, I also have a slightly different recipe, but I like the sound of yours better, than mine, and will tweak mine to be like yours.  Lovely supper for a cool spring evening...

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl and @Oznell  If you care to share, I am interested in seeing your recipes. 

Honored Contributor

IamMrsG, mine uses fettucini broken in half, cooked in 6 cups of chicken broth, which becomes part of the sauce.  Canned diced tomatoes instead of the little fresh ones.  That's the part of yours that I want to switch to.  Spinach, cooked sausage, and cheese in roughly the same amounts as yours. Garlic and onion, also calls for one packet of Italian dressing mixed in, which you don't really need but gives a slight boost to other flavors... Mine omitted the Parmesan of yours, which now I would also like to add to the mozzarella--  oh even though it's morning I can smell the yumminess now!  Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for sharing your variation.  I have thought about adding minced garlic, but onions never entered my mind.  I also like the idea of cooking the pasta in chicken broth, thereby creating a sauce.  My version has no sauce, and I've never thought it needed one, but now I'm intrigued by the idea. Do you use all the broth in the dish?

I thought of one other possible difference between our recipes. Instead of packaged, shredded mozzarella, I buy a fresh ball of it.  In fact, I don't remember the last time I did buy it pre-packaged. A fresh ball is a little messy to grate, but I consider the creaminess of it worth the effort.

Again, thank you for your response.  It's good to learn how much we all have in common while also exchanging tips.  I think that is one of the great benefits of sharing recipes.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@mousiegirl and @Oznell  If you care to share, I am interested in seeing your recipes. 

@IamMrsG  I make up recipes, rarely follow one except for baking, and they are never identical to the time before, but here it is as I remember it.

I saute onions and garlic, remove mild Italian sausage from the casing into chunks, then brown without overcooking.  Add the greens now, but off the heat as they shouldn't be overcooked and mushy. I then add cooked pasta, never spaghetti for this recipe, usually a fat tube type, some chicken broth or the water the pasta was cooked in, then add the greens with some spice to it such as arugula, etc.  My favorite is power greens sold here in a plastic box, so use one-two boxes.  If I get to a produce market, there are braising greens which would also be good, but of course, one can add whatever they like.  I think greens with some bitter in some of them, tastes wonderful.  I have to stop myself from tasting them when they are in the onion mix.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl  Thank you for sharing.  I admire those like yourself who aren't afraid to 'wing it' in the kitchen.  It's the best way to learn, by trial and error. The risk is being able to duplicate your successes.

Honored Contributor

IamMrsG, that is another improvement of yours-- the fresh mozzarella, grated.  I've only used the pre-shredded in mine, but I'm sure the fresh is delicious, and will try it!

Yes, all the broth gets used in the sauce.  After the pasta is cooked and the other ingredients are added right to the pot, the everything "melds" together and there isn't too much liquid, like you would think...