Honored Contributor

ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS AND SQUASH OVER POLENTA

I made this last night for dinner and it is definitely a keeper for me.  Tasty dinner on a frosty winter night.

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
3 t Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup olive oil
8 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 T cider vinegar
1 T finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 T honey
1 t red pepper flakes (or to taste)

Polenta:
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup coarsely ground cornmeal
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Aged balsamic vinegar for serving

Pre heat oven to 450.  Mix the thighs and squash in a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper.  

In a small food processor or with mortar and pestle, blend olive oil, garlic, vinegar, rosemary, honey, red pepper flakes to create a thick sauce.  Toss with chicken thighs and squash and spread in one layer on a sheet pan.  Roast for 25 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees.  Cover chicken and squash with foil to keep warm.

While the chicken is roasting bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil in a 3 qt saucepan.  Add the cornmeal very slowly whisking constantly.  When the cornmeal is incorporated turn the heat down to a simmer.  The cornmeal should cook slowly with a bubble popping up to the surface every 30 seconds or so.  Stir every 5 to 10 minutes for about 25 minutes.  Remove the pan from heat and stir in cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  

Serve the polenta in shallow pasta bowls with a piece of chicken and a scoop or squash on the top, drizzle the plates with a few spoonfuls of pan juices from chicken and a few drops of aged balsamic vinegar just before serving.

Honored Contributor

Re: ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS AND SQUASH OVER POLENTA

This DOES sound good!  Thank you @DiAnne

I have never made polenta before.  I have a large tub of cornmeal to use up but it doesn't say coarse on it.

Do you think  I will be okay?  I don't want to buy another tub!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

I had never made polenta before either.  The only cornmeal I had was the very fine that you make tortillas out of so I did purchase the coarse.  I would give it a try with what you have.  My guess is it would take a little less time.   

Honored Contributor

Thanks @DiAnne

When I try this recipe I will watch it closely.

To be honest, not only have I not ever made polenta, I've never eaten it!   I had no idea it was made out of cornmeal.

I also never knew it was Italian in origin!  Sounded Mexican to me!  We are Italian and I never even heard of it b4 coming to Recipe Swap several years ago!

Will be fun to try it!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

I have eaten it often at nice restaurants as the base for food.  It helps make a pretty presentation.  I have had it with Copper River salmon.  You can really get fancy with it also with lots of cheese and butter.  I have also had it with sauteed morel mushrooms.  I don't know why I have never tried to make it before.....

Respected Contributor

I can't wait to make this!

Polenta really is easy to make, and a little cornmeal makes a lot. I always make extra, and here's why.

Made a batch of polenta in the AM, and put whatever seasonings you like.  While it's hot, pour it and spread it into a greased 9 x 13 baking sheet.  Let it set in your fridge: it's going to get firm.

Prep time: you have options here: you can spritz with evoo and bake in your oven until golden brown. Slice it as you would slice brownies and serve it for a change of pace instead of your usual starch...( It is wonderful with gravy or sauces of all kinds).

You could serve it as an appetizer topped with brushes or pesto....

Topping with cheese-any kind you like is delicious.....and there was a recipe I saw on Dr. Oz where you could cut the cold polenta as you would French fries. ( That recipe is probably on his web-site somewhere).....Of course, I am sure you could get it nice and crunchy in an air fryer.

DiAnne, thank you for sharing this: I am making this over the weekend.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2

I hope you like it.  Thanks for all the good ideas!

Respected Contributor

Down here in Georgia we call it grits and serve it for breakfast with sharp cheddar cheese, eggs, sausage and bacon. We also do shrimp and grits with red eye gravy.