Honored Contributor

ROASTED BEET SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND WALNUTS

This is from a recent cooking class and will definitely be in my rotation.

8 fresh beets
8 cups fresh baby spinach
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 t maple syrup
1 T frozen orange juice concentrate
4 T balsamic vinegar
4 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wrap beets in foil and roast for 90 minutes or until soft (time depends on size).  Cool, peel and chop.

In a small skillet toast the walnuts over medium-low heat just until you can smell them.  Turn off heat and toss in maple syrup. Let cool in pan.

Whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  

To serve, divide the spinach among four bowls.  Top with beets, goat cheese and walnuts,  Drizzle salad dressing.  

4 servings

Honored Contributor

Re: ROASTED BEET SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE AND WALNUTS

@DiAnne

Everything looks good- except the beets! Cat Tongue

Regular Contributor

YUM!  Making today.  I have all the ingredients!    Thanks

Trusted Contributor

That sounds so yummy, DiAnne, and a lot like one served at a local French restaurant.

i will be buying the ingredients so I can make it. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

This is from a recent cooking class and will definitely be in my rotation.

8 fresh beets
8 cups fresh baby spinach
4 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 t maple syrup
1 T frozen orange juice concentrate
4 T balsamic vinegar
4 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wrap beets in foil and roast for 90 minutes or until soft (time depends on size).  Cool, peel and chop.

In a small skillet toast the walnuts over medium-low heat just until you can smell them.  Turn off heat and toss in maple syrup. Let cool in pan.

Whisk together the orange juice concentrate, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  

To serve, divide the spinach among four bowls.  Top with beets, goat cheese and walnuts,  Drizzle salad dressing.  

4 servings

I often have fresh beets, I may have to try this it really looks good.

I usually pickle my beets, with red onions.

Honored Contributor

Di--looks fabulous--was wondering if it needs the juice and the maple syrup--maybe use orange zest instead? trying to eliminate the sugar from my cooking--think the syrup would be enough to sweeten but oj more for flavor.

Honored Contributor

WOW @DiAnne

This sounds like a recipe I would love to try!  I LOVE everything in the ingredients...cepting the beets....eating buy not loving!  LOL  This may help me  LIKE even more!

I used to be like @lolakimono...

spent MANY an hour at the table refusing to eat beets!

Last year, I had them on my list to 'retry'.  DH loves them.  I couldn't even stand the smell!  I gathered a bunch of recipes....and ya know?  They ain't so bad after all!

I think this recipe would help me get more of them into my diet!

As always, thanks for sharing your recipes!  You have given me some of my favorites!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

My brother came to visit a few years ago and we went to one of those farm to table type places.  He ordered roasted beets, and then offered me some.  I almost fainted, as he and I grew up together in our beet alliance.  I reminded him that we did NOT like beets, and he claims now that they don't taste like beets when roasted.  Cat Surprised  To me they're like drinking pomegranate syup laced with dirt or mold.  Bleh!

Remember those canned beets that were popular in salad bars?  I couldn't even TOUCH anything that had been contaminated with beet juice.  Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono

I roasted them, pickled them, sauted them...I had the most fab recipes...

Ya know the ones DH liked the best?  Right outta the can!  Oh brother!

I added them to potato salad and while it turned everything pink...they did taste good.

However, I must admit...roasted they were really good!  There is something so good about a fresh veg as opposed to anything bought in a can.

Gotta git some gloves this year though...my nails and fingers were pink for a week!

Beets and brussel sprouts are not as bad now as they were when I was a kid!

Give 'em another whirl.  Maybe you will surprise yourself as I did!  I just had to find the right recipes!

I think I would eat anything w/ Goat Cheese so this recipe is a definite must try for me!

Frequent Contributor

Sounds so yummy, thanks!

But I will use fresh orange as I do often in dressings. Tastes so much better than concentrate.

I'm also wary of cooking things in foil as I have read that is a good way to get an unwanted dose of aluminum.