Honored Contributor

RED CURRY SHRIMP AND VEGETABLES

I found this recipe on a can of coconut milk.  Made it tonight for dinner.  Very tasty.

1 can coconut milk
2 T red curry paste
1 T brown sugar
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup assorted vegetables (such as snap peas, bamboo shoots, sliced red bell pepper)
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil
2 T  good quality fish sauce
fresh red chiles, thinly sliced (optional)

Bring coconut milk to a simmer in large skillet on medium heat.  Stir in curry paste and brown sugar until well blended.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in shrimp and vegetables.  Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp are opaque and vegetables are crisp-tender.  Stir in basil and fish sauce.  

Serve with cooked rice.  Garnish with additional basil and red chili slices, if desired. 

I used red bell pepper and bamboo shoots for the vegetables because that was what I had.  I had to order the Thai basil on my grocery delivery but I had everything else.  I gave the basil a rough chop before stirring it in.  

Honored Contributor

Re: RED CURRY SHRIMP AND VEGETABLES

@DiAnne wrote:

I found this recipe on a can of coconut milk.  Made it tonight for dinner.  Very tasty.

1 can coconut milk
2 T red curry paste
1 T brown sugar
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup assorted vegetables (such as snap peas, bamboo shoots, sliced red bell pepper)
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil
2 T  good quality fish sauce
fresh red chiles, thinly sliced (optional)

Bring coconut milk to a simmer in large skillet on medium heat.  Stir in curry paste and brown sugar until well blended.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in shrimp and vegetables.  Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp are opaque and vegetables are crisp-tender.  Stir in basil and fish sauce.  

Serve with cooked rice.  Garnish with additional basil and red chili slices, if desired. 

I used red bell pepper and bamboo shoots for the vegetables because that was what I had.  I had to order the Thai basil on my grocery delivery but I had everything else.  I gave the basil a rough chop before stirring it in.  

@DiAnne Hello. What brands of coconut milk and curry paste did you use? I have made this dish before. 

Honored Contributor

Re: RED CURRY SHRIMP AND VEGETABLES

@Mindy D 

Thai Kitchen for both.  That is not usually the brand of curry paste I use.  I go to the Asian market when things are normal.