Honored Contributor

RAVISHING RAW SWEET POTATO SALAD

I recently took a class at the local co-op on raw foods.  This was served and it was fabulous.  I had company for dinner last night and everybody loved it.  The bowl was empty!

1/2 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1 T madras curry powder (or more to taste)
2 t cinnamon
2 T apple cider vinegar
2 T tamari
2 sweet potatoes
1 cup dried currants
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup parsley roughly chopped

Whisk the peanut butter and coconut oil together.  Add the curry powder, cinnamon, vinegar and tamari.  

Peel potatoes and grate, used a peeler to make thin slices or a spiralizer to make noodles.

Place sweet potatoes in a bowl with currants and walnuts.  Massage the sauce into the salad.  Let sit for about 5 minutes, sprinkle with parsley and enjoy.

I used garnet yams.  I used a spiralizer and made the salad a couple of hours before serving so that the "noodles" would get softer.  I mixed in the walnuts and parsley just before serving.  

Honored Contributor

Re: RAVISHING RAW SWEET POTATO SALAD

@DiAnne

How very interesting, DiAnne!  Thank you for posting!

I have never heard of eating any potatoes raw.

I have everything in this recipe.  I actually think I want to invest in almond butter though.  I have always wanted to try that!

I'm going to have to give this a try soon!  Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife

I was very leary of this recipe also because of that but it was very good.  A pleasant surprise. I was hoping for leftovers but is was all gone.  Hope you enjoy it.  

PS:  I served it with chicken and another salad that was pretty mainstream in case no one liked it.  

Honored Contributor

Don't think I ever had occasion to massage my salad before.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

I suggest you use surgical gloves if you do.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne

You always post the most interesting and sometimes unusual recipes.  I just had my husband read this and he is drooling.  (He did find your massage technique amusing!)  

Thank you for sharing! 

Esteemed Contributor

What's difference between Madras curry and regular curry?  And, can you par-boil the potatoes?

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

Madras is Indian curry.  All curries taste different - just use the one you like best.  

I don't think I would par boil the yams.  If you eat it right after you make it it will be crunchy.  If you make it a few hours ahead of time it will be softer and more noodle like.  Hope that helps.  

Respected Contributor

I can't wait to try this!!!! I discovered the joy of raw sweet potatoes while "spiralizing": I was hungry and I thought why not give it a try.....and it just exploded. I cube raw sweet potatoes for extra deliciousness in my salads (BTW, raw sweet potatoes are low in carbs and high in fiber- and I certainly eat a fair amount of raw coconut, but raw sweet potato reminds me of unsweetened coconut). Grate it the next time you make a slaw. No question- it is fantastic in smoothies and it's on my agenda to make a frozen dessert combined with some yogurt. Because I do eat the skin, I do buy organic, but I get more variety. My grocery, Publix, carries a pre-packaged assortment-the white sweet potatoes are incredible. I wish they would tell you the varieties, but from what I've read, I think there is the Garnett variety. Thanks for this splendid recipe!

1. Poodlepet2
Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2

Welcome back!  I have missed you and often wondered how you were doing.

Seems like you had a lot of problems hit all at once and I was very concerned about you.

Sounds like you are doing better.

Hope your health continues to improve.