Honored Contributor

Re: Quick & Easy Chili Recipe

@SurferWife.  Atta girl!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife   Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili seasoning is almost as good as mine (which is basically this same thing).  Spice and salt are in separate packages, add as much as you want but the basic recipe is fantastic!

It has real chili flavor, the amount of heat you can customize, and you add a little corn flour (masa) mixed with water at the end which adds a little body.  

Maybe there is a "clone" recipe online--I don't know.  Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife   I found this online and it seems pretty close to what I do.  I add some diced tomatoes rather than just water,  and DO NOT mix the masa in with the spices.  It goes in last mixed with a little water.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground beef
Spice Mix
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 tablespoons masa
  • 2 teaspoons dehydrated onion (1/2 cup chopped fresh onion)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dehydrated garlic (1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 16 ounces water
Instructions
  • Brown the beef in a large pot or dutch oven. Drain beef. Add the spices (with the exception of the masa) and stir in thoroughly. Add tomato sauce and water. If desired add 1 14 ounce can of beans. Reduce temperature to simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes. If you want to thicken the chili, mix the masa in a 1/4 cup of hot water. Stir the masa until smooth. Pour the masa mixture into the chili. Cook until the chili thickens and serve.
Respected Contributor

@SurferWife 

2 lbs of ground beef or cubes or both

One packet / box of Wick Fowler's Chili kit.   

So easy, so good.    I substitute water for the tomato sauce because I grew up with chili without tomato.  

And for crying out loud, no bell peppers or olives in chili.

I don't like beans in my chili either.  "if you know beans about chili, you know there should be no beans in chili".   source unknown

Honored Contributor

This is probably heresy to real chili buffs, but I use taco seasoning in my chili.  I always have it on hand from the restaurant supply house and I don'tf goof up on seasoning amounts.  There once was a chain restaurant where I used to live that overloaded everything with cumin.  I couldn't get over that and now am afraid to use it.  PS  They went out of business.  

Trusted Contributor

this is my mother's favorite recipe for chili

1 chili brick

1 lb ground beef browned and drained

2 cans of a good canned chili

1 onion  chopped

1 can of chopped tomatos

place all ingredients in a large pot and simmer until hot.  serve with cheese and chopped onions

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is a recipe I found in the WaPo Food Section back in mid 60's. It became our family's favorite chili recipe, tried other recipes, always came back to this one although I play with the recipe as we all do.  One child did not like beans, so he got chili without kidney beans; rest of family wanted kidney beans and put in chili pot last hour to take on the flavors. Recipe does not include beans, so it is an option.

Pedernales River Chili

Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson's recipe...

4 Pounds Chili Meat (Coarsely-Ground Round Steak or well-trimmed chuck)

1 Large Onion, Chopped

2 Cloves Garlic

1 Teaspoon Ground Oregano

1 Teaspoon Comino Seed

6 Teaspoons Chili Powder (or more, if needed)

1 1/2 Cups Canned Whole Tomatoes

2-6 Generous Dashes Liquid Hot Sauce

2 Cups Hot Water

Salt to Taste

Place meat, onion and garlic in large, heavy pan or dutch oven, cook until light in color. Add oregano, comino seed, chili powder, tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, salt and hot water.

Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 1 hour. Skim off fat during cooking. 

PS: I cooked my chili longer than an hour to get it thick and flavorful.

Honored Contributor

What is a chili brick?

Trusted Contributor

it wou;ld be est foryou to google it.  it is a package of seasonings eat ect that you place in with thechili